Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:00 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,814,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I'll take my chances...
Luckily the live and let live style of life does not on an individual level conflict heavily with our current government's laws, but I would be interested in how you will evade the requirements from yourself to said government, primarily your "tribute" to the "power" of the collective - commonly known as taxes. Bottom line some things will be forced upon us, and we are free to ignore them but the consequences upon ourselves when we lack the natural right of power to be able to back up our decision to do so with a sufficient amount of force can be dire. (It takes a hell of a lot of force to push around the American govt)

Old 03-05-2018, 01:01 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,841,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
All for it...if it is Trump.

This country has gone to H E L L.

Stop force feeding us the homosexual lifestyle. Repeal homosexual marriage. 2 hairy men are not husband and wife.

53 million babies killed by the Dems over the years...do we want to wait until it is 100 million?

Round up the millions of illegals...export to Tijuana.

Get the 50 state CCW passed.

Reclaim Cali.

...this is enuf work for 20 years.
No self-respecting native California uses the term Cali.

Transplants and outsiders use that term.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,095,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
For a group that loves comedians liberals can't take jokes very well
Some of the best comedians are libertarians/anarchists.

Dave Smith
Drew Carey
Vince Vaughn
Doug Stanhope
Penn Jillette
Trey Parker/Matt Stone

Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Luckily the live and let live style of life does not on an individual level conflict heavily with our current government's laws, but I would be interested in how you will evade the requirements from yourself to said government, primarily your "tribute" to the "power" of the collective - commonly known as taxes. Bottom line some things will be forced upon us, and we are free to ignore them but the consequences upon ourselves when we lack the natural right of power to be able to back up our decision to do so with a sufficient amount of force can be dire.
That's a pretty fatalist way of looking at things. I for one are a bit more optimistic about how truly free people would treat one another.

An anarcho-capitalist society would be based on property rights, so I would owe nobody anything. I would voluntarily exchange goods and services with others. Key word being voluntarily.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty fatalist way of looking at things. I for one are a bit more optimistic about how truly free people would treat one another.

An anarcho-capitalist society would be based on property rights, so I would owe nobody anything. I would voluntarily exchange goods and services with others. Key word being voluntarily.
One man's fatalism is another's realism.

Basically what I saying is that sure you can ignore demands from much more powerful entities, you just might lose something in the process.

Ex: I'm an atheist but if I lived in Iran I'd fake it to make it for sure.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,769,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
What is distasteful about it?
It's distasteful because he is the President of the United States, and he is supposed to support and promote the ideals and principles of this nation, even when he is making a joke. When he jests about China's Xi essentially becoming a dictator, and how that's "great" and maybe we should do it here, he is ridiculing the ideals and principles of this nation. That's poor taste.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,777,391 times
Quote:
The Kennedys and the Bush/Clinton crime families would beg to differ.
Which is why Jeb and Hillary were automatic No's. And if the Dem's run that Kennedy kid who looked like he drooled all over himself after the SOTU, it will also be an automatic no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm... FDR (who wanted to be president for life) did NOT sign the bill

the 22nd amendment was a REACTION to FDR's 4th term...congress ratified it in '47, and the states ratified it in '51

and since then many a demoncrat has tried to put forth to abolish the 22nd amendment
Your right... I was wrong. FDR didn't sign it. However both parties have tried to abolish it. Too bad we can't get our congress on term limits too.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:32 PM

1,349 posts, read 660,146 times

Last edited by personne; 03-05-2018 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
One man's fatalism is another's realism.

Basically what I saying is that sure you can ignore demands from much more powerful entities, you just might lose something in the process.

Ex: I'm an atheist but if I lived in Iran I'd fake it to make it for sure.
I'm a realist, too, but I seriously believe people would be much more civilized to one another without the shackles of the State and all it encompasses (party politics, taxes, coercion, etc.).

I'm agnostic but I'd probably do the same thing. It's the equivalent of me actually paying my taxes--even though they're theft--because I don't want to get raped in prison.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I'm a realist, too, but I seriously believe people would be much more civilized to one another without the shackles of the State and all it encompasses (party politics, taxes, coercion, etc.).

I'm agnostic but I'd probably do the same thing. It's the equivalent of me actually paying my taxes--even though they're theft--because I don't want to get raped in prison.
My view has always been that in the presence of a power vacuum, power will always begin to concentrate as people seek to exert their will on the world around them, and then as other people resist that - building their own power groups, snowballing and cannibalizing each other until you end up with some form of top level concentrated power (AKA government) that is restricted by something else outside direct social control - be it communication(language) barriers, geographic barriers, cultural barriers, etc... as evidence I present the entirety of human history.

I believe it is just an aspect of our nature as a social species arrived at via evolution. Lone human naked in the woods by himself is not a very impressive animal, get a few hundred together though and....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies