Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 01:48 AM

4,129 posts, read 2,820,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Wow. Just because this Chinese restaurant has had trouble with some of their black customers skipping out on paying their bill... you would punish them for trying to prevent this from happening by visiting them and trying to eat them out of their business?

How is the Chinese restaurant "looking for trouble" when it was the fault of black customers running out of the restaurant not paying their bills? Why should the owners or their servers have to run after them to try to catch them and make them pay? What is wrong with YOUR values and the values of these blacks?

Why does the black community never hold themselves accountable for the negative stereotypes of their own? Why doesn't the black community chastise the blacks that are making them all look like bad people with no morals?

BTW all those incidents of flash mobbing black youths successfully robbing stores is another reason for shop and restaurant owners to be distrustful of other groups of young blacks.
Oh please, why in the world would I be held accountable for the crimes of people who I have zero relationship to? Do you hold yourself accountable for the crimes of people from your race? Stop being ridiculous.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:34 AM

12,196 posts, read 7,173,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I think they can refuse service to blacks if they don't feel comfortable.

But telling them that "you people steal" is definitely rude.
You can’t refuse service because they were black. That would get a lawsuit going. Saying “you people steal” was not very tactful I agree but it is the truth as the restaurant owner saw it. He could have just made up something like “the machine will be down soon, so I need to charge your card now.”

Old 03-05-2018, 03:29 AM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:

Actually, they can’t refuse service to blacks.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 AM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
those that are looking for trouble often find it.
Looking for trouble? Nah...

They’ve gotta treat me the same way they treat you. If that’s looking for trouble, so be it. I’ve gotta do what I’ve gotta do regardless.
Quote:
Wow. Just because this Chinese restaurant has had trouble with some of their black customers skipping out on paying their bill... you would punish them for trying to prevent this from happening by visiting them and trying to eat them out of their business?

How is the Chinese restaurant "looking for trouble" when it was the fault of black customers running out of the restaurant not paying their bills? Why should the owners or their servers have to run after them to try to catch them and make them pay? What is wrong with YOUR values and the values of these blacks?

Why does the black community never hold themselves accountable for the negative stereotypes of their own? Why doesn't the black community chastise the blacks that are making them all look like bad people with no morals?

BTW all those incidents of flash mobbing black youths successfully robbing stores is another reason for shop and restaurant owners to be distrustful of other groups of young blacks.
I hold me accountable. I don’t have time to hold others accountable for what they do. That’s none of my business.

Nevermind the stereotypes...I don’t care about them. If you eat first and pay later, then I’m eating first and paying later. Don’t get mad about it. That’s just the way it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why should I have to? They know I’ll pay.
Where did I say that you have to? Of course you don’t have to pay up front if they say that you don’t. And of course, that means that I don’t have to pay upfront either.

If they let you eat without paying first, then I’m gonna eat without paying first. Simple. It’s a buffet, and there’s nothing they can do to stop me short of physically assaulting me, which they definitely aren’t gonna do.

Buffets have plates readily available. So I’ll just grab one and start shoveling food onto my plate. Then I’ll go sit down and eat. They can’t do anything about it. I’ll pay when I’m done, or whenever you pay.

BTW...how do l know you’ll pay? Just because you’re white and you say that you will? LMAO...please. There’s no shortage of white thieves. How do I know that you aren’t a klepto?

Old 03-05-2018, 05:07 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,069,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It may or may not be humorous but playing the victim because of your race or race card isn't self-effacing.
He wasn't playing victim. He makes six figures. It's called irony. It's funny.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:14 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,835,832 times
I'm so glad I stopped dining at buffet restaurants decades ago.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:19 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,069,149 times
Quote:

No they can't. Civil rights, much? Jr. High education teaches that.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:37 AM

88,729 posts, read 44,535,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It should be the owner's right to ask for payment up front to anyone he wants.

The story goes on...

If he's noticing a trend in the folks who dine and dash then isn't this simply him adjusting his business model?

Yes, the article mentions the fiction that is Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act which prohibits restaurants from discrimination based on race but even if we take it into account (despite it being fiction as noted) he only makes certain customers pay up front and not all of them are black then that should squash the notion it's race-based discrimination.

Whatever the case why would anyone want to eat there anyway if they are so offended by the policies?

Black customers allege discrimination at Boardman restaurant | vindy.com
I'm guessing the operative indicator in the "pay up front" model is... wait for it... COLLEGE STUDENT.

And that is EXACTLY why many eateries on/around college campuses are order -> pay -> find a seat -> get your order kind of places.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 AM

88,729 posts, read 44,535,751 times
Quote:
Impoverished blacks for many decades have been very resentful towards the Asians owning convenience stores in their ghetto neighborhoods. And any time there is a black riot, those Asian owned businesses are the first targets of their anger. Although, in recent memory, during one black riot, there was an Asian owned gas station that was protected by some of the other blacks in the community.

It makes no sense for blacks to be hating on Asian business owners. Without those Asians, shops in their ghettos would be even more of a rarity.

Also, there is absolutely no reason that blacks can't own their own businesses in their neighborhoods. They just need to do what the Asians do... pool their family resources and keep good credit. IMO ghetto culture people need to learn how to make long term plans and stick to them. And enough with making teen baby mommas. Stop having babies until the relationship is stable and serious, and at least one partner has a decent career path. Making babies early just adds further obstacles to having a good quality life. Stop being so impatient. Stop looking for easy riches.
There actually is a working model for what you suggest, involving the entire community and not just one's family:
Quote:
"Self-sustaining micro finance initiative issuing collateral-free, interest-bearing loans, for as little as $50, to poor women in rural East Africa to start businesses to support their families.

...Borrowers start small businesses and use their profits to pay for school fees, food and healthcare. Communities benefit as borrowers hire helpers and advocate for local improvements."
1,000 Microloans for Rural Women in East Africa - globalgiving.org

Old 03-05-2018, 06:13 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,849,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The big deal is it's discrimination, but some of you don't care about that since you're not in the group being discriminated against.

Nobody should have to explain this to anyone over the age of twelve, however.
Is it the only restaurant in town? Is it the only available food? Why would anyone want to eat where they aren't wanted?
Discrimination happens everyday to everyone at some point. To some it's only wrong if it happens to a chosen minority. You're right I don't care. I wont spend my money where I am not wanted. I won't cry about it either. I just move on.
The land of the butt hurt. That's why I am now an ex-pat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies