U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 11:00 AM

1,181 posts, read 453,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Mickey Mouse can register to vote. Any person who can read and write can fill out the card.

It then is up to the county and state to put that person on the roll of registered voters. Surely the states can check citizenship, etc. If the credit reporting agencies and credit card companies have all this information, surely the states can get access to it.
It is up to citizens to be sure citizenship is being checked and to be sure the county has enough money to do the job.

Much of this brouhaha is just another fund raising strategy used by people to get money. I know that's what's up in Ft Bend county.
There may not be a "proof of citizenship" requirement specifically to register to vote. But there is for many of the documents that are acceptable when registering, which varies by state. Drivers License? Yep. Passport? Yep. State ID? Yep. So, before we say "anyone can register to vote," we need to look at the actual requirements for registration. What did I need to bring? My Drivers License. Which I needed to prove residency and birthplace for. So, I proved I was a citizen, was issued a document, and allowed to register to vote.

In my state, if I don't show my photo ID (which I proved citizenship for), I can only vote via provisional ballot, and my vote is counted when it is deemed my vote is legal. That happens if I sign and affidavit or present a valid ID within 10 days. The problem is that it can be cost-prohibitive for low-income residents to get an official birth-certificate or the state ID needed.

Requiring a separate voter registration at a cost to the citizen is frequently viewed as a poll-tax. Did you know the US Constitution frowns on that? The 24th Amendment:

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax. Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 12:22 PM

66,149 posts, read 29,998,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
There may not be a "proof of citizenship" requirement specifically to register to vote. But there is for many of the documents that are acceptable when registering, which varies by state. Drivers License? Yep.
Nope. I've NEVER had to provide proof of US citizenship to get a driver's license in any of the 3 states in which I've lived after age 16.

Quote:
Passport? Yep.
True.

Quote:
State ID? Yep.
Again, NO. For the same reason listed above. I have a developmentally disabled step-sister who is 2 years younger than me. I'm in my mid-50s. She was born at home, there is no official birth record/certificate. She was issued and maintains a Photo State ID by the State of IL. She happens to live in the same residential facility as David Axelrod's developmentally disabled daughter.

All of the residential facilitiy's age 18+ "clients" are registered to vote. Every election day, staff takes them to the polls and TELLS them for WHOM to vote. They do so.

Ask them after the fact WHY they voted for such and such candidate? They can't cite any specific candidate's platform position, they just merely say ..."That's what my Q said to do."

For those who don't know... "Q" = Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional

Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 PM

11,199 posts, read 8,319,094 times
My county wants a TDL or other id issued by the Department of Public safety and the last 4 digits of social security number.

That's it.

Informed Consent, the instructions for Texas say the person must be declared by the court to be mentally disabled to be unable to register to vote. Your family probably needs to do that. Or get the judge to go to that home.

I know people in my school district go to nursing homes to 'help' old people vote for school board.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 PM

21,887 posts, read 9,300,319 times
There is nothing in the OP article about anyone being "right" and definitely not Trump.

A complaint was filed. Woohoo. They are filed everyday by watchdog groups on the left and right.

Gives them something to do.

Are they filing a complaint about the small crowd size at the inauguration also?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 PM

66,149 posts, read 29,998,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Informed Consent, the instructions for Texas say the person must be declared by the court to be mentally disabled to be unable to register to vote. Your family probably needs to do that. Or get the judge to go to that home.
That has already been done. but I'm talking about Chicago. They don't care if even the dead vote, multiple times.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It appears that there are at least 100,000 non-citizens and felons on the voting rolls in Pennsylvania, mostly in Philadelphia. PA Secretary of State, Pedro Cortes, resigned last year when the fraud was revealed. No reason for his resignation was given. He was first appointed by former Gov. Ed Rendell and then re-appointed by current Gov. Tom Wolf, both democrats. Gov. Wolf named Robert Torres, another Hispanic, to serve as interim Secretary of State for PA.

On Feb. 26, 2018, the Public Interest Legal Foundation filed a lawsuit against Pennsylvania to compel release of data on the 100,000 illegals and felons who are on the voter rolls.

https://publicinterestlegal.org/case...-torres-et-al/
Anyone can file a lawsuit and allege anything they want but it doesn't make the allegations true. Remember Orly Taitz? How many lawsuits did that nutball file?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:28 PM

5,908 posts, read 1,978,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Anyone can file a lawsuit and allege anything they want but it doesn't make the allegations true. Remember Orly Taitz? How many lawsuits did that nutball file?
If she was such a nutball why did a Federal judge agree with her and order Obama to produce his original long form birth certificate and make it available for her inspection? (he never complied with that order)

Old 03-06-2018, 10:16 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,004,444 times
There's a simple solution to the problem of non-citizens voting in federal elections (for president, senate and house of representatives). Let the federal government set up their own voting stations and apparatus separate from state and local venues. And hold the elections on the weekend (like most countries do) and not on a work day.

You can prove that you are eligible to vote by showing a passport, US birth certificate or naturalization papers (with photo ID). Most all states now have centralized records, accessible by PC. Just answer a few questions, pay the fee and an official birth certificate will be mailed to you.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
If she was such a nutball why did a Federal judge agree with her and order Obama to produce his original long form birth certificate and make it available for her inspection? (he never complied with that order)
That didn't happen.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:24 PM

4,940 posts, read 1,934,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Some time we need to talk about voter IDs (really, state-issued IDs and driver's licenses, which are generally accepted.)

I agree that there needs to be a way of making sure that only legal citizens of the US vote in elections, but I would ask some of the hard-liners here to take a look at just how difficult it is to get ID in some states. The problem is not so much proving that you are a US citizen, but proving your residency within these states. The requirements DO tend to make it harder for poor people, and damn near impossible for anyone who may be officially deemed homeless.
When trying to get a new Michigan drivers license:

a. First went with current US Passport in hand and was given a list of docs required.

b. Despite fact my US passport says I was born in Detroit I had to find a social security office and get a new social security card. They said expect card in mail in 10-14 days.

c. However, they gave me a letter. Stating I had applied for a card and that proved to be acceptable even though this letter was not on the list.

d. Proof I was living in Michigan required me to open a Michigan bank account and wait for a letter from the bank. My national investment account didn't work since I didn't have any statements by mail. They rejected the credit card offer from my investment account claiming it was spam.

e. Fortunately I own a boat and US coastguard renewal notice was accepted.

e. I had to take and pass written test.

f. Eye sight test.

g. Next I was expecting a road test. However, they no longer do road tests and I needed to make appointment with private company.

h. HOWEVER, despite fact I once had Michigan drivers license, all they would give me was a learner's permit for 30 days. I had to wait 30 days.
The learner's permit has no picture on it and is not acceptable as an ID.

By this time my trip to USA was up and I flew back to my boat.

So much for trying to vote in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or