U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 04:19 PM

3,397 posts, read 3,009,690 times

Advertisements

As we all know, gun laws and gun ownership are and have been a hot topic for as long as I can remember. There have always been those who are completely for the 2nd amendment and those who wish to see it totally repealed. And of course those who are in the middle of the debate, who simply want to see more restrictions but not a complete removal of our right to bear arms. But through all the debates on the subject that I have seen, I have yet to see anyone give any sort of real answer to this question, even though I have posed it several times over the years. So here it is, once again, for your consideration.

If all or most of the legally owned firearms in this country were banned and confiscated, what could be done about all the illegally owned weapons in the hands of criminals across our great nation? The call to disarm the civilian populace is so loud, yet no one seems to realize we will just be leaving ourselves at the mercy of those who don't bother with background checks or gun registration. Illegal firearms cross our borders constantly, and those weapons are not being bought by your average, everyday citizen. Those weapons go straight into the hands of criminals. And despite supposedly enormous efforts by our government, those gun shipments continue to cross our borders and arm the criminal elements of our country.

Personally, I believe in the 2nd amendment. I believe we have the right to own firearms just as we have the right to speak freely and assemble. And I believe that my 2nd amendment rights helps to keep me and my family safe from those who do not live by the laws of the land. So if you are one of those who wish to take away my guns, I would like you to tell us all how we should handle all those guns that the government can't locate and confiscate. What can we do to solve this part of the gun control problem?

PS. I do support legislation involving improved background checks, gun seizures for mental health issues, and the need for improved regulation of certain kinds of firearms. I do not think I should be able to go out and buy a rocket launcher tomorrow if I want one. Just wanted to clear that up ahead of time before the really crazy posts started to hit. Please stay on the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 04:26 PM

8,143 posts, read 2,796,215 times
Silly rabbit. .....criminals don't use AR15s and shoot up schools....they just kill each other wholesale with handguns, so nobody cares.

Not enough shock value for the anti gun media's agenda when one gang banger shoots another with a cheap Saturday night special

And let's face it....bringing the subject to light makes minorties look bad, so that's another reason Lefties keep the subject on the down low and freak out over Semiautomatic rifles instead .

Old 03-04-2018, 04:41 PM

45,562 posts, read 18,055,737 times
Doesn't look like a mere handgun to me.

This shocking robbery happened just a few days ago outside of Charlotte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toc9nrRmd_w

Old 03-04-2018, 04:48 PM

8,143 posts, read 2,796,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Doesn't look like a mere handgun to me.

This shocking robbery happened just a few days ago outside of Charlotte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toc9nrRmd_w
Looks like a handgun with a suppressor on it.

Which means it was quite probably stolen by the poor destitute thug just trying to feed his family.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:25 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,997,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

what could be done about all the illegally owned weapons in the hands of criminals across our great nation?
Why isn't law enforcement doing something about this now?

Old 03-04-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why isn't law enforcement doing something about this now?
I know that law enforcement do try to curb the presence of illegal weapons whenever the opportunity to seize them becomes available. Drug raids and other police activities often yield a cache of illegal weapons along with the drugs, money, etc. found during the raid. But the problem is, rather than destroying those weapons, they store them. And I can't tell you how many different stories I've seen about missing guns, drugs, etc. from supposedly secure police lockers in departments across the country. Not to mention the stories about police-issued weapons going missing and being used in crimes. Sometimes it seems like the police aren't even capable of keeping up with their own weapons, let alone getting the illegal weapons off the street. And that's the thing. We have all these people crying to take away our legal firearms, yet they seem to have no issue or at least no solutions to offer as far as the illegal weapons in our country go. Why would we seek to further weaken the civilian population of our country while leaving guns in the hands of those who would do us harm? I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that particular question.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:40 PM

66,574 posts, read 33,889,281 times
Quote:
As we all know, gun laws and gun ownership are and have been a hot topic for as long as I can remember. There have always been those who are completely for the 2nd amendment and those who wish to see it totally repealed. And of course those who are in the middle of the debate, who simply want to see more restrictions but not a complete removal of our right to bear arms. But through all the debates on the subject that I have seen, I have yet to see anyone give any sort of real answer to this question, even though I have posed it several times over the years. So here it is, once again, for your consideration.

If all or most of the legally owned firearms in this country were banned and confiscated, what could be done about all the illegally owned weapons in the hands of criminals across our great nation? The call to disarm the civilian populace is so loud, yet no one seems to realize we will just be leaving ourselves at the mercy of those who don't bother with background checks or gun registration. Illegal firearms cross our borders constantly, and those weapons are not being bought by your average, everyday citizen. Those weapons go straight into the hands of criminals. And despite supposedly enormous efforts by our government, those gun shipments continue to cross our borders and arm the criminal elements of our country.

Personally, I believe in the 2nd amendment. I believe we have the right to own firearms just as we have the right to speak freely and assemble. And I believe that my 2nd amendment rights helps to keep me and my family safe from those who do not live by the laws of the land. So if you are one of those who wish to take away my guns, I would like you to tell us all how we should handle all those guns that the government can't locate and confiscate. What can we do to solve this part of the gun control problem?

PS. I do support legislation involving improved background checks, gun seizures for mental health issues, and the need for improved regulation of certain kinds of firearms. I do not think I should be able to go out and buy a rocket launcher tomorrow if I want one. Just wanted to clear that up ahead of time before the really crazy posts started to hit. Please stay on the topic.

Explain to me what an "illegal firearm" is, using the text of the constitution as reference.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Explain to me what an "illegal firearm" is, using the text of the constitution as reference.
I believe you already know that I can not explain this to you using the text of the constitution because they did not address the issue of "illegal firearms" when writing the 2nd amendment. However, there are many laws that have since been passed that quite adequately describe what constitutes an "illegal firearm" as well as who would be considered to be illegally in possession of said firearms. For instance, felons are restricted from owning most firearms. Of course, this does not make the actual firearm illegal, the crime in this situation lies with the person who was in possession of said firearm. As far as actual "illegal" firearms go, it really depends on the state you live in since different states have different rules. In some states, owning a gun without a serial number or which has had the serial number removed would make the weapon illegal. In others, fully automatic weapons are considered illegal firearms, but in others you can own them if you have the proper license. Honestly, you really just have to understand the gun laws in your state to know exactly what constitutes an "illegal weapon". And of course none of this was covered in the 2nd amendment of our constitution.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 PM

1,303 posts, read 437,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Was the gun purchased through legal means from either a licensed dealer or official means of transferring ownership in a private sale with all proper background checks and other local requirements done prior exchanging cash for the weapon.

If not, then the firearm was acquired illegally.

But, you already knew that and are just playing the troll route, as expected.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 PM

1,303 posts, read 437,339 times
Quote:
I believe you already know that I can not explain this to you using the text of the constitution because they did not address the issue of "illegal firearms" when writing the 2nd amendment. However, there are many laws that have since been passed that quite adequately describe what constitutes an "illegal firearm" as well as who would be considered to be illegally in possession of said firearms. For instance, felons are restricted from owning most firearms. Of course, this does not make the actual firearm illegal, the crime in this situation lies with the person who was in possession of said firearm. As far as actual "illegal" firearms go, it really depends on the state you live in since different states have different rules. In some states, owning a gun without a serial number or which has had the serial number removed would make the weapon illegal. In others, fully automatic weapons are considered illegal firearms, but in others you can own them if you have the proper license. Honestly, you really just have to understand the gun laws in your state to know exactly what constitutes an "illegal weapon". And of course none of this was covered in the 2nd amendment of our constitution.
You realize he's trolling your post, right? His mindset is that pretty much anyone citizen can have a gun due to the 2nd and anything that prevents that is in direct violation of the 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or