U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
486 posts, read 184,464 times
Reputation: 435

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
Amazing post racist society we are living in, right?

KC firefighter reinstated, but n-word rant at Hooters was worse than we knew | The Kansas City Star

“He basically said, “Get that little [n-word] up off the floor,’” a witness told KCTV5.

Alllll the people saying there is no racism because black people can vote now, rejoice!

A 3 year old boy.
This article has so many things wrong or half-true. It is a race-baiting piece of trash. I would hope that any one that reads this has the mental acuity to see through it.

For starters, this happened in a Hooters. Not exactly a family friendly venue of morally upright citizenry. It draws some real scumbags. Apparently, this man's family (and grandchild) found one.
The police and Hooters both agreed that the firefighter was a scumbag.

NOW...
For the rest of the linked stories in it. Most have been discussed here on this board and none of them have born out to be implicit racism. There were extenuating circumstance in all of them.

The Applebee's incident: Her voice has duper's delight in it. I would love for someone to do an analysis of where her phone was on the night in question of the original dine and dash.

The two guys in Starbuck's chose to not leave and were arrested upon refusal. They were not arrested for being black and doing nothing as this article implies.

The young man who was asking for directions: the woman at the door was a black woman and the person who shot at him was a white man who was married to the black woman. You will have a hard time convincing me that a white man who is married to a black woman is racist against black people.

That other young man who was shot in his grandmother's backyard was fleeing police after being witnessed attempting to break into the neighbor's house. He wasn't shot because he was black, he was shot as a result of his failure to comply with police commands and then running away from the police into his grandmother's backyard and doubling back onto the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Barrington
45,659 posts, read 33,923,145 times
Reputation: 15218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sickening, who attacks a 3 year old boy?

No doubt though, someone out there will find some reason to blame the kid and justify this fireman's actions. There's always got to be that one person.

Child called racial slur, spat on by firefighter at Overland Par - KCTV5
What does the spitter’s profession have to do with this incident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
486 posts, read 184,464 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What does the spitter’s profession have to do with this incident?
He tried to use his professional position as leverage to get away with it. He was sure that being a fireman that the police would side with him. I know people who got away with speeding and destruction of public property because they were Statesville Correctional Center guards. The police gave them a verbal warning as a professional courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 11:01 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,227,558 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
the mental acuity to see through it.

For starters, this happened in a Hooters. Not exactly a family friendly venue of morally upright citizenry. It draws some real scumbags.
Mental acuity you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
20,377 posts, read 9,929,959 times
Reputation: 20019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
Sickening, who attacks a 3 year old boy?

No doubt though, someone out there will find some reason to blame the kid and justify this fireman's actions. There's always got to be that one person.

Child called racial slur, spat on by firefighter at Overland Par - KCTV5
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What does the spitter’s profession have to do with this incident?

The OP was simply paraphrasing the title of the article. Why don't you ask them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 PM
 
Location: crafton pa
979 posts, read 353,979 times
Reputation: 1194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immerse View Post
By definittion of racism, there can't be racist black people. I don't know why it's so hard to understand.

On discrimination based on one’s colour, I can only concur that blacks can be prejudicial towards whites - but not racist. What do I mean? Before I attempt to give an explanation of my argument, I first have to define words that serve as the premises: prejudice and racism. Prejudice refers to a positive or negative evaluation of another person based on their perceived group membership. Racism on the other hand refers to social actions, practices or beliefs or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other. Furthermore, racism is socio-economic, with systemic structures which promote one race’s powers over another. Socio-economic being the operative word, I am certain you will agree that black people do not have the resources to impose such oppressive structures which enforce their superiority. White people on the other hand have, and had imposed them on blacks for over four centuries of slavery and colonialism. Black people can be prejudiced, but not racist.
Maybe not in general, but certainly Barack Obama (not saying he did it, just using him as an example) had the capability to be racist. Could he not have refused to appoint judges, cabinet members, etc., based on their race? By your logic, not all white people have the capability to be racist either. A white factory worker making $10 an hour somewhere in Iowa would have a hard time being racist by your definition.

I get the idea; racism requires power. Not all white people are powerful. Not all black people lack power. It is only when you try to refer to the racism of groups, rather than individuals, that it makes sense to say black people can't be racist. Individual black people certainly can, depending on circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
486 posts, read 184,464 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Mental acuity you say?
Great cut...

But yes, the people I knew who went to Hooters I would classify as scumbags. It's not the food they were there for and they were definitely not morally upright individuals.

The article is written to incite racial tension and is not complete in it's presentation of the facts of the other cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,227,558 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
But yes, the people I knew who went to Hooters I would classify as scumbags.
Well, that's a whole lot different than
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Hooters. Not exactly a family friendly venue of morally upright citizenry. It draws some real scumbags.
isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
486 posts, read 184,464 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Well, that's a whole lot different than

isn't it?
If in doubt, start yourself a poll: Is Hooters targeted at families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 12:29 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,227,558 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
If in doubt, start yourself a poll: Is Hooters targeted at families?
What are you talking about?
What does "families" have to do with
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
morally upright citizenry [and] scumbags
Is this more of that "mental acuity" you were talking about earlier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top