Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:54 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
*sigh*

No civilian "needs" to own high-end weaponary...
But cops can have them, right? The same cops that are massacring unarmed people (many of them black men) almost daily? Why do you people never talk about disarming cops? THEY'RE the real threat to your life--not everyday trained gun owners who more often than not have WAY more training than 'roided-up, doughnut-eaters who have a God complex.

Or the military--why does the military even exist? So they can be shipped off to somewhere 10,000 miles away and slaughter innocent civilians in the name of "freedom?" They're given all kinds of shiny toys, all paid for by the American taxpayer.

Why does the Secret Service have guns? Does Trump somehow deserve more protection than you or me? I thought he was Hitler?

Cognitive dissonance. It's what's for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:02 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
The majority of gun owners I know would be less than useless in such a situation. Half of them would be part of the problem, and the other half would be dead long before they could get to their gun and "die heroically."

I'm not opposed to owning a gun in self-defense, but I am VERY tired of the claims constantly made around here that gun owners are all a "cut above the common man" and somehow very dependable and courageous people. Sorry, but in my experience, they are just people - flaws and all - who happen to own guns. Ironically, is the right who promotes both the notion that "everyone should be able to own a gun" AND that "gun owners are the ones you can count on." You can't have it both ways, people.

Own a gun or don't - I don't really care since most of the time it will never matter. But I think the notion of people "needing" high-capacity magazines, bump-stocks, and other crap to obviously gun down as many targets as possible is laughable, and based on my experience, the people with equipment like that are NOT going to be the ones you can count on if everything falls apart.

Again, they are just people... who happen to own a gun. Nothing more - a gun does not make you a hero.
I's surprised you claim to know so many gun owners since you seem to have little understanding of them.
It's funny you claim that gun owners are claiming they are a cut cut above the common man. No one is saying that at all, you're just making it up because you are losing your argument badly. Have you told the majority of gun owners you know face to face that you think they are arrogant in that they think they are a cut above ? Of course not, you're too scared or really don't know any at all.
On the other hand you obviously think you are a cut above everyone else since you think your opinion matters more than someone else's because they don't agree with you.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Better head back to the guns and ammo department, buy all you can!

Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!
Hmm, I think I will order another 2000 rounds for my Ar's now that you mention it.
The funny part is the more you goofy anti gunners fight about it with misinformed opinions, the more gun owners buy.
I know a few people who were never gun owners who bought ar15's because you guys made such a fuss they got interested. Now they go out target shooting with us. Congrats, you guys are doing a fine job for your cause

Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Why? Because people like the OP think I shouldn't have one. I'm very contrary.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:13 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
National Shooting Sports Foundation is a trade association for the firearms industry. They did a survey titled 21 Findings About Modern Sporting Rifle Owners, modern sporting being AR-15's. The survey reveled some pretty interesting findings.

https://www.shtfblog.com/a-profile-o...-15-gun-owner/

One of them highlights the reasons for why these gun owners purchased their AR-15's.

Recreational target shooting was the No. 1-rated reason for owning an AR in terms of importance (89%), home defense was next (77%), followed by collecting (63%) and varmint hunting (6%)

Collecting and recreational target shooting are extremely poor reasons for why such a dangerous firearm platform should be made legal. Especially in light of all the recent mass shootings using AR-15's.

As for its use in home defense. Its way more firepower then would ever be necessary for home defense. Using an AR-15 to defend your home would be like using a chainsaw to cut your steak.

I feel like the rise of the AR-15 is often tied into the overt fetishization of our military. I get the sense that many men in civilian life fantasize about being Navy Seals, Marines, etc..and vicariously live through it via ownership of an AR-15. Why else would there be such an obsession with tactical accessories and all things mil spec.

84% have at least 1 accessory on their rifle, and they spend an average of $436 on after-market accessories and customization

71% of AR owners use a scope or red-dot as their primary optics. Older owners prefer scopes; younger owners prefer red-dot optics.

25% of those who own 3 or more ARs describe their ARs as heavily accessorized (4-plus accessories)

Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Facts are what they are - I don't care how other people "feel" about them.

We've been down this road a thousand times, and the reality is that the far-right cannot justify their position on guns. They pretend that somehow America is unique and that only here is there "nothing that can be done" to curb gun violence, so we shouldn't even try - we should instead stock up on more guns so you can better shoot that other guy who's stocked up on more guns. It's circular logic, utterly pathetic, and causally ignores the fact that nearly every other developed nation on the planet has managed to resolve gun violence issues with far greater success than America.

In short, gun control fails, except every time it's been tried seriously.
The right? doesnt have to justify owning guns. Its a right. Okay... Stop trying to minimize and blow off the Right the people have. We get some dont like it, we get it. Roll your eyes all you want. This thread isnt about you, its was just a different perspective on AR15's and why people have them. You made it personal, just move on...Okay.. Bye Bye. Ignore list.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
*sigh*

No civilian "needs" to own high-end weaponary, and I'm tired of the laughable excuses to justify it. You don't "need" one to hunt or stop robbers - if you live in some radioactive wasteland full of revolver-immune robbers and shotgun immune deer, consider moving out of hell.

The rest of the excuses are just warped interpretations of the 2nd Amendment. Nowhere does it say that the government shall allow everyone to own whatever weapon they want. "The people" != "everyone, including criminals, the mentally ill, and drug-addled idiots," and "the right to bear arms" != "you can own whatever weapon you want."

The utter refusal to apply any common sense to the 2nd Amendment is beyond absurd, as are the warped interpretations of it. It is utterly laughable how many people equate the firepower they wield with how "free" America is, even as they happily vote away their own futures and the civil rights of others just to keep their worthless arsenals.
I own and sell machineguns.

I want therefore I need.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:20 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Why? Because people like the OP think I shouldn't have one. I'm very contrary.
Huh, I am pro 2a, dont know how you got I am against gun ownership. Carry on..

Old 03-05-2018, 06:25 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post

Collecting and recreational target shooting are extremely poor reasons for why such a dangerous firearm platform should be made legal. Especially in light of all the recent mass shootings using AR-15's.

As for its use in home defense. Its way more firepower then would ever be necessary for home defense. Using an AR-15 to defend your home would be like using a chainsaw to cut your steak.

I feel like the rise of the AR-15 is often tied into the overt fetishization of our military. I get the sense that many men in civilian life fantasize about being Navy Seals, Marines, etc..and vicariously live through it via ownership of an AR-15. Why else would there be such an obsession with tactical accessories and all things mil spec.
Your opinions are utter nonsense. Their ridiculousness and disingenuous nature hinder your argument rather than advance it.

Last edited by Jimbo302; 03-05-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies