U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2018, 03:12 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,606,918 times
Reputation: 12851

Advertisements

I'm sure he would have been treated far better on something like the 700 Club. -_-

 
Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 4,986,931 times
Reputation: 13415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
This post is Exhibit A of leftist moral relativism. lol
That's one interpretation. But another interpretation, is that Egypt never claimed to be pluralistic, welcoming to all faiths and creeds. It never asserted fundamental equal rights, whether in culture or a formal document. It never regarded itself as a shining city on the hill. It never crafted its identity as being the beacon of freedom. It never built an international presence, where its aim was to recast the world in a more accommodating, more tolerant mien.

If the USA is going to be "exceptional", it must be held to a higher standard. What's merely repulsive and daft in some other country, is unacceptable here. What's some quaint vestige of former taboos in some other countries, is an unconscionable evil here. The USA must not merely be further along than other places - a bit more free, a bit more secure, a bit more open... it must be qualitatively better. Is it? If so, then it's to be held altogether to a higher standard. And if not? Then let's quit calling it "exceptional".
 
Old 03-05-2018, 10:24 AM
 
5,639 posts, read 5,598,379 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's one interpretation. But another interpretation, is that Egypt never claimed to be pluralistic, welcoming to all faiths and creeds. It never asserted fundamental equal rights, whether in culture or a formal document. It never regarded itself as a shining city on the hill. It never crafted its identity as being the beacon of freedom. It never built an international presence, where its aim was to recast the world in a more accommodating, more tolerant mien.

If the USA is going to be "exceptional", it must be held to a higher standard. What's merely repulsive and daft in some other country, is unacceptable here. What's some quaint vestige of former taboos in some other countries, is an unconscionable evil here. The USA must not merely be further along than other places - a bit more free, a bit more secure, a bit more open... it must be qualitatively better. Is it? If so, then it's to be held altogether to a higher standard. And if not? Then let's quit calling it "exceptional".
The point, which I know you know, is that if this happened on some American conservative show, you and all of the other radical leftists would've been howling, "racism, bigotry, intolerance" and every other trigger word that the highly offended now proffer the minute they hear something that their highly sensitive ears can't stomach. Yet because this took place in a country not dominated by old white men (the lefts uber villian) they excuse it away, as you just did. If something is wrong, it's wrong, regardless of the skin color of the perpetrator or the culture of his/her land. I see the hypocrisy of the Neo Progressive and call you out on it.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 10:41 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 4,986,931 times
Reputation: 13415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The point, which I know you know, is that if this happened on some American conservative show, you and all of the other radical leftists would've been howling, "racism, bigotry, intolerance" and every other trigger word that the highly offended now proffer the minute they hear something that their highly sensitive ears can't stomach. Yet because this took place in a country not dominated by old white men (the lefts uber villian) they excuse it away, as you just did. If something is wrong, it's wrong, regardless of the skin color of the perpetrator or the culture of his/her land. I see the hypocrisy of the Neo Progressive and call you out on it.
This happens on American conservative talk shows all the time. And BTW, Egyptians are white.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,606,918 times
Reputation: 12851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's one interpretation. But another interpretation, is that Egypt never claimed to be pluralistic, welcoming to all faiths and creeds. It never asserted fundamental equal rights, whether in culture or a formal document. It never regarded itself as a shining city on the hill. It never crafted its identity as being the beacon of freedom. It never built an international presence, where its aim was to recast the world in a more accommodating, more tolerant mien.

If the USA is going to be "exceptional", it must be held to a higher standard. What's merely repulsive and daft in some other country, is unacceptable here. What's some quaint vestige of former taboos in some other countries, is an unconscionable evil here. The USA must not merely be further along than other places - a bit more free, a bit more secure, a bit more open... it must be qualitatively better. Is it? If so, then it's to be held altogether to a higher standard. And if not? Then let's quit calling it "exceptional".
Exactly. I cannot rep you again...yet.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 AM
 
5,639 posts, read 5,598,379 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This happens on American conservative talk shows all the time. And BTW, Egyptians are white.
"All of the time", huh? Can you show me where an atheist was kicked off of a national conservative television show in America and told to seek psychiatric health?

My good friend Mina is Egyptian, born there, came to NJ as a kid, he's browner than my coffee, and if you told him he was white, he'd laugh in your face.

Last edited by Sophiasmommy; 03-05-2018 at 11:11 AM..
 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Here and now.
11,917 posts, read 3,606,918 times
Reputation: 12851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The point, which I know you know, is that if this happened on some American conservative show, you and all of the other radical leftists would've been howling, "racism, bigotry, intolerance" and every other trigger word that the highly offended now proffer the minute they hear something that their highly sensitive ears can't stomach. Yet because this took place in a country not dominated by old white men (the lefts uber villian) they excuse it away, as you just did. If something is wrong, it's wrong, regardless of the skin color of the perpetrator or the culture of his/her land. I see the hypocrisy of the Neo Progressive and call you out on it.
In the first place, no, racism is not an issue here, or even nationalism, as both the host and the guest were Egyptian, so let's just forget about that, okay?

In the second place, I disagree with the host, and am not defending him. I do recognize that Egypt is not America, but that's not the same thing as defending him.

In the third place, when did the right in this country, by and large, start seeing atheists as sympathetic figures? I have a funny feeling that if that young man had been treated with similar hostility by the host of a show supported by the Christian right in the US, some of the people who are now furious would have been cheering.

The only thing this thread tells me is that Muslims are now more despised in this country than atheists. That's not really saying much.

Final thought: Egyptian is not a race.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Elysium
6,546 posts, read 3,603,223 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Just imagine, if this young man were running for public office in America, or seeking any position of prominence. To what extent would his avowed atheism be an impediment? Fortunately, America has a collection of laws, which are a bit more pluralistic than those of Egypt. But what of our civic tolerance? Is it actually any better?

Obama was (falsely) accused of being a Muslim. Just imagine the outcry, if he were to have been accused of being an atheist!
We don't have to imagine, many people accused President Obama of faking Christianity and finding a church with a politically correct stance to get the local Black vote in Chicago before he was elected to the Illinois State Senate
 
Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Status: "Not quite my tempo" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Bran's tree
10,978 posts, read 4,828,298 times
Reputation: 12361
Poor guy. He was pretty damn brave to come out as an atheist on national TV in an Islamic country.

If he can find a way to legally immigrate, he's more than welcome here.
 
Old 03-05-2018, 12:50 PM
 
50,155 posts, read 26,559,079 times
Reputation: 15669
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Little different than Joy Behar suggesting that people that talk to Jesus and that say that He talks to them have a mental illness.
She might be right in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top