U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 07:04 PM

21,347 posts, read 14,253,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Since you like to complain about liberal Hollywood, why haven't conservatives started their own entertainment studios? I'm not talking about the fringe stuff that Kirk Cameron does. I'm talking about Meryl type talent. I'm sure that there must be talented conservatives.

There's a lot of money with conservatives so what has stopped them from getting studios, finding good actors who are conservatives, building movie theaters, tv stations, starting a Netflix type business, etc?

I would think that the audience would be there based on the Hollywood hatred here. There must be some reason that no one has done it. Look at what Tyler Perry has done just by focusing on the black community. Conservatives make up a larger percentage than black people.

Instead of expecting Hollywood to change, why don't conservatives get off their soapbox and do something about it?
Because they're talentless, angry people? I guess it's why there are no conservative comedians (outside of the GOP, of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 PM

2,893 posts, read 1,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Creatively demands not only intelligence but imagination and flexibility. By definition, someone who wants things black and/or white (the conservative mindset) can't play in that sandbox as well.
Somebody should have told JRR Tolkien that.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:06 PM

22,362 posts, read 27,488,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
No talented conservatives. Good at division of the country with the help of Faux.
Faux? Oh, CNN!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:06 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,018,135 times
Excellent video about this topic that's worth a watch and it's from a Christian perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzZYvmrHVr0

Old 03-05-2018, 07:11 PM

4,528 posts, read 1,186,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
And CS Lewis. And Lifehouse.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,018,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Tolkien is influenced by Christianity but he was never overtly preachy about it. Christians and non-Christians can appreciate his works.

In terms of music, I am a big fan of Owl City. The guy is a Christian and there are Christian themes in his music but it's vague enough that even non-Christians such as myself can appreciate it.

In both instances, art is influenced by Christianity but is not boxed into promoting a Christian agenda.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:19 PM

8,348 posts, read 1,881,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Because they're talentless, angry people? I guess it's why there are no conservative comedians (outside of the GOP, of course)
There are plenty of libertarian comedians, however:

Penn Jillette
Dave Smith
Doug Stanhope
Joe Rogan
Drew Carey
Trey Parker/Matt Stone
Travis Irvine

Old 03-05-2018, 07:41 PM

11,467 posts, read 3,125,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't see even one person "crying" about talk radio. We don't care about Nascar either. What's also funny is how conservatives complain but also use the things like award shows as proof for their outrage. Read any number of right wing blogs and they're citing a single joke last night referencing Mike Pence.

It's just as likely that conservatives aren't really outraged by liberal entertainment (most claim they don't go to movies anyway) but they just really like to whine about it.
You're reading a number of right wing blogs....

You...

Interesting.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 PM

11,467 posts, read 3,125,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Tolkien is influenced by Christianity but he was never overtly preachy about it. Christians and non-Christians can appreciate his works.

In terms of music, I am a big fan of Owl City. The guy is a Christian and there are Christian themes in his music but it's vague enough that even non-Christians such as myself can appreciate it.

In both instances, art is influenced by Christianity but is not boxed into promoting a Christian agenda.
Have you told your family ?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:34 PM

22,385 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This 100%

Contemporary Christian music is a perfect example. Every once and a while a contemporary Christian artist will release a song that makes it into the Billboard Hot 100. But when was the last time a superstar come from the world of Christian music? Even country stars occasionally become superstars eg. Taylor Swift. Why don't we see that kind of success from the Christian music world? It's because art is about expression and it's hard to do that when you are sandboxed into promoting a specific agenda.

This is also why even the best Christian movies have B-level acting at best.
Or it could be because sex sells and that real Christians don’t take that road.

Of course Katy Perry’s new book title is ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or