U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 02:57 PM

4,198 posts, read 818,572 times

Advertisements

Ironically, Harvey Wilcox and his wife, Daeida were the conservative founders of Hollywood as a ranching community. They registered the name in 8/1886. They wanted it to be a Conservative Christian community devoid of alcohol. Such an idea wouldn't last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 03:01 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,025,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Missed this bit. Thing is, entertainment has to sell on being entertaining. Selling on what you're not ("We're not Hollywood!") appeals to very, very few people.
This. Even movies like the God's Not Dead series and the Left Behind series are wildly successful compared to most films of the ilk. Anybody seen movies like War Room, The Grace Card, Facing the Giants, or What Would Jesus Do?

Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM

32,070 posts, read 16,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This. Even movies like the God's Not Dead series and the Left Behind series are wildly successful compared to most films of the ilk.
No doubt there. The message may not be universally liked, but the craft is there.

Quote:
Anybody seen movies like War Room, The Grace Card, Facing the Giants, or What Would Jesus Do?
Seen? This is the first I hear of them. But it sure looks like War Room made for a nice little sleeper hit, good on them.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:07 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This would work great, until the whiny little libs started losing acting gigs to conservatives. Then the lawsuits would begin.
This makes no sense.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:19 PM

8,348 posts, read 1,893,432 times
The most telling thing that hardly anyone ever brings up is the fact that Hollywood is largely funded by the CIA and the Pentagon to propagandize Americans into loving war and fetishizing the military.

Documents expose how Hollywood promotes war on behalf of the Pentagon, CIA and NSA

How the CIA Hoodwinked Hollywood

Hollywood Films Funded By... The Pentagon

Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM

2,276 posts, read 840,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
The entire entertainment industry from music to movies and tv are severely left leaning. Those at the top of that organization call the shots on what they will promote and what they will cut. Tim Allen is a prime example of what they do to those who aren't the same as them. This has been fact since the late 60'. Look up "Rural Purge". The Rural Purge was the very beginning of how wholesome family structured "entertainment" started to be removed from the public.
Tim Allen's show was cancelled because it was a reboot of his Home Improvement show from the 90s. It had the same characters, the same stale jokes and the overall look and feel was very outdated. Tim Allen was trying to do an old school multi cam laugh track supported sitcom in a world that gave up on those types of shows in the late 90s. It was a nostalgia show that catered to an older audience which is the kiss of death in a media climate driven by ratings in key demographics that don't even know who Tim Allen is.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
No talented conservatives. Good at division of the country with the help of Faux.
There are quite a few talented libertarians, though.

Kurt Russell
Gary Oldman
Big Boi from Outkast
Drew Carey
Vince Vaughn
Trey Parker/Matt Stone
Tom Selleck
Melissa Joan Hart
Krist Novoselic (Nirvana bassist)
Phil Lebonte (All That Remains frontman)
Gene Simmons

Old 03-05-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't care about the political leanings of the people making the movies/tv shows. I simply don't want every single show/movie to be so overtly political...no matter the "side" (with the liberal slant much more prevalent obviously).

That's my complaint. I guess I'm in the minority because that's not how Hollywood has rolled in quite a long time.

That's fine. It's a business. I'm a capitalist.

I used to enjoy movies/tv and just miss the option of having it. I'll live...it would just be nice to be able to go to the movies or watch a late night show again.
Preach.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:10 PM

2,137 posts, read 631,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post

You don't have to explain Hollywood to me. I know all about the history.
Then you also know that, in the final analysis, Hollywood, no matter of what political pedigree, is completely unnecessary.

Kinda like this thread, which we now hand to the mods for closure and deletion.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,025,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Tim Allen's show was cancelled because it was a reboot of his Home Improvement show from the 90s. It had the same characters, the same stale jokes and the overall look and feel was very outdated. Tim Allen was trying to do an old school multi cam laugh track supported sitcom in a world that gave up on those types of shows in the late 90s. It was a nostalgia show that catered to an older audience which is the kiss of death in a media climate driven by ratings in key demographics that don't even know who Tim Allen is.
Good points. Nostalgia shows like that never last very long. They typically have very strong viewership in the beginning followed by a quick drop off after the novelty wears off. I have to cringe at MTV trying to revive TRL or the American Idol revival that is supposedly in the works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or