Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 11:22 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I read a study recently showing the concentrations of professions for people who are republican and people who are democrat. progressive identifying individuals were concentrated heavily in entertainment, journalism, and academia while republicans were more likely to be employed in professions like the building trades, agriculture, and mining.

you decide which professions are more important to a society's survival.
True, but those "democrat" professions make that survival much more enjoyable. Without that, our lives would be like those of ants in an ant colony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 11:25 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The statistics are glaring our prisons and welfare rolls are filled with bastards. Bastards are born out of wedlock. No divorce required.
Is it better to grow up seeing your parents absolutely hate each other and fighting all the time?

And if your answer is "find someone you're completely compatible with", then you are espousing liberal values. Traditionally, marriage was more about securing status and familial alliances rather than love.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:00 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Executive Producer = $$$$ invested.
$$$$ invested = power to make decisions.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Since you like to complain about liberal Hollywood, why haven't conservatives started their own entertainment studios? I'm not talking about the fringe stuff that Kirk Cameron does. I'm talking about Meryl type talent. I'm sure that there must be talented conservatives.

There's a lot of money with conservatives so what has stopped them from getting studios, finding good actors who are conservatives, building movie theaters, tv stations, starting a Netflix type business, etc?

I would think that the audience would be there based on the Hollywood hatred here. There must be some reason that no one has done it. Look at what Tyler Perry has done just by focusing on the black community. Conservatives make up a larger percentage than black people.

Instead of expecting Hollywood to change, why don't conservatives get off their soapbox and do something about it?
They tried, but there's only so many movies Kevin Sorbo can film at one time.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I read a study recently showing the concentrations of professions for people who are republican and people who are democrat. progressive identifying individuals were concentrated heavily in entertainment, journalism, and academia while republicans were more likely to be employed in professions like the building trades, agriculture, and mining.

you decide which professions are more important to a society's survival.
Quick - name 3 of history's greatest miners. Kinda tough.

Name 3 great scientists. 3 great artists. 3 great writers. A bit easier, isn't it?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:26 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What a dumb premise. Hollywood or movie making started in the early 1900’s by people who were not political. Over the years, many actors and people in Hollywood took up political causes. Some were on the Left and some were on the Right. Some of the most famous were not liberal. Reagan, Eastwood and Schwarzenager come to mind but there were many.

In the last few decades however, the trend was to go liberal and that is how it is today although there are plenty of conservatives still. Why should conservatives try to make a separate Hollywood? The current Hollywood was built by many people, some of whom were conservatives.
Because it makes for good old gonzo journalism when the media can polarize anything and everything and turn something as simple as an escape to the movies into a left wing vs right wing controversy. And forget film as an art form, because that would send a message that would ultimately anger one side or another, thus helping to make everything about liberals vs conservatives.

Fact is (and you are 100% spot on in your assessment above BTW) There are many things in the owrld that should never be about conservatives vs liberals. but the small minded conflict driven paranoid mentality that has infiltrated our country from Washington DC down through the churches to the battered streets of poverty has seemd to have found a way to think otherwise.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:44 PM

37,187 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Well, that was sort of the point.

If there is money to be made, even perceived conservatives will invest in the production of a so-called liberal product.

Precisely. Hollywood is a business, run for the P&L statements. It doesn't care about politics, Liberals, conservatives, Democrats, or republicans. It doesn't care about race, gender, who sticks what up their nose, who sleeps with who, or any color but green.

If Hollywood is pumping out product that has a Liberal bent, you can bet dollars to doughnut holes they figured out that's where the market is and they're going after it. If you want more conservative offerings, you will have to convince the studio bosses that it will be good for their pocketbooks, and they'll cover you up with right wing fantasy before you get through waiting in line for popcorn.

Good luck with that.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Does anyone remember Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC Convention?

Time and again, Republicans complain about Hollywood getting involved in politics, yet they completely ignore that they invited Clint Eastwood to speak at the RNC convention. They certainly and obviously didn't "push back", they invited him! If they don't like their minority placement in entertainment, they are welcome to create their own version of Hollywood but they don't get to pretend they don't love to highlight the few celebrities who are Republican because they absolutely do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yra8khbBBY

Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Quick - name 3 of history's greatest miners. Kinda tough.

Name 3 great scientists. 3 great artists. 3 great writers. A bit easier, isn't it?
name three writers who started a civilization. three artists. three scientists.

farming/agriculture was the beginning of civilizations, if I recall my 3rd grade history.

I don't deny thinkers/dreamers are a wonderful part of every culture, but don't deny the builders, farmers, energy miners are the backbone of every society. who would fix your broken toilet? a poet? feed your family? an artist?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-06-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Since you like to complain about liberal Hollywood, why haven't conservatives started their own entertainment studios? I'm not talking about the fringe stuff that Kirk Cameron does. I'm talking about Meryl type talent. I'm sure that there must be talented conservatives.

There's a lot of money with conservatives so what has stopped them from getting studios, finding good actors who are conservatives, building movie theaters, tv stations, starting a Netflix type business, etc?

I would think that the audience would be there based on the Hollywood hatred here. There must be some reason that no one has done it. Look at what Tyler Perry has done just by focusing on the black community. Conservatives make up a larger percentage than black people.

Instead of expecting Hollywood to change, why don't conservatives get off their soapbox and do something about it?
I'm an INTJ. Not the right industry for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies