U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 AM
 
3,531 posts, read 1,755,531 times
Reputation: 6231

Advertisements

Since you like to complain about liberal Hollywood, why haven't conservatives started their own entertainment studios? I'm not talking about the fringe stuff that Kirk Cameron does. I'm talking about Meryl type talent. I'm sure that there must be talented conservatives.

There's a lot of money with conservatives so what has stopped them from getting studios, finding good actors who are conservatives, building movie theaters, tv stations, starting a Netflix type business, etc?

I would think that the audience would be there based on the Hollywood hatred here. There must be some reason that no one has done it. Look at what Tyler Perry has done just by focusing on the black community. Conservatives make up a larger percentage than black people.

Instead of expecting Hollywood to change, why don't conservatives get off their soapbox and do something about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2018, 02:21 AM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 9 hours ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,331 posts, read 4,416,988 times
Reputation: 8823
There's a lot of conservative and "family values" being made, some are pretty good. Conservatives gripe about "Hollywood" but they have movies being made for them and by them, too. They just have to look for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 02:27 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,483 posts, read 2,850,188 times
Reputation: 6176
What a dumb premise. Hollywood or movie making started in the early 1900’s by people who were not political. Over the years, many actors and people in Hollywood took up political causes. Some were on the Left and some were on the Right. Some of the most famous were not liberal. Reagan, Eastwood and Schwarzenager come to mind but there were many.

In the last few decades however, the trend was to go liberal and that is how it is today although there are plenty of conservatives still. Why should conservatives try to make a separate Hollywood? The current Hollywood was built by many people, some of whom were conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 02:29 AM
 
3,531 posts, read 1,755,531 times
Reputation: 6231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There's a lot of conservative and "family values" being made, some are pretty good. Conservatives gripe about "Hollywood" but they have movies being made for them and by them, too. They just have to look for it.
I know but the constant complaining about Hollywood makes me wonder why they don't branch off and get their own studio? It honestly seems surprising that there isn't a Tyler Perry of conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 02:32 AM
 
3,531 posts, read 1,755,531 times
Reputation: 6231
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What a dumb premise. Hollywood or movie making started in the early 1900ís by people who were not political. Over the years, many actors and people in Hollywood took up political causes. Some were on the Left and some were on the Right. Some of the most famous were not liberal. Reagan, Eastwood and Schwarzenager come to mind but there were many.

In the last few decades however, the trend was to go liberal and that is how it is today although there are plenty of conservatives still. Why should conservatives try to make a separate Hollywood? The current Hollywood was built by many people, some of whom were conservatives.
Then why so much complaining? It's never going back to being conservative in the forefront. Accept it or start your own business.

You don't have to explain Hollywood to me. I know all about the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 02:39 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,483 posts, read 2,850,188 times
Reputation: 6176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Then why so much complaining? It's never going back to being conservative in the forefront. Accept it or start your own business.

You don't have to explain Hollywood to me. I know all about the history.
People have a right to complain. Just like you folks from the Left like to complain about Wall Street. Why donít you start your own liberal Wall Street then? See how silly your premise is?

And you are wrong about ďitís never going back to being conservative.Ē One thing you should learn from history is how things can flip. It wasnít that long ago when Hollywood was so anti-Communist that many innocent Hollywood people were blacklisted. As you know, communism is Left of center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 02:47 AM
 
3,531 posts, read 1,755,531 times
Reputation: 6231
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
People have a right to complain. Just like you folks from the Left like to complain about Wall Street. Why donít you start your own liberal Wall Street then? See how silly your premise is?

And you are wrong about ďitís never going back to being conservative.Ē One thing you should learn from history is how things can flip. It wasnít that long ago when Hollywood was so anti-Communist that many innocent Hollywood people were blacklisted. As you know, communism is Left of center.
Starting your own Wall St would be next to impossible bc you'd basically have to create a parallel universe. However, starting a conservative based entertainment industry is feasible. Look at Branson, Mo, it's essentially a conservative Las Vegas.

It's NEVER going back to conservative Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 AM
 
50,031 posts, read 26,520,803 times
Reputation: 15631
Conservatives donít have the talent. Itís that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 03:41 AM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
12,310 posts, read 7,458,312 times
Reputation: 15892
Why don't conservatives start their own Hollywood?

A wise person (whose name escapes me) once characterized contemporary entertainment as centered upon the destruction of property and the removal of clothing.

But most people who characterize themselves as "conservative" are not overgrown adolescents who seek lives of constant fantasy-based entertainment. (And the pursuit of a set of values and a purpose-driven life does not necessarily imply blind acceptance of religious or mystical absolutes).

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-05-2018 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 03:47 AM
 
Location: USA
16,848 posts, read 8,665,100 times
Reputation: 12705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Why don't conservatives start their own Hollywood?

Because most people who characterize themselves as "conservative" are not overgrown adolescents who seek lives of constant fantasy-based entertainment. (And the pursuit o a set of values and a purpose-driven life does not necessarily imply blind acceptance of religious or mystical absolutes).
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top