Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times

Advertisements

This is pretty bad. So first world cotton bubble wrap.

They still eat dogs in some countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:28 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Americans work too many hours. Europeans typically get 5-6 weeks of paid vacation each year.
Giving paid time off for a new pet is just another way to attract employees.

It's a good thing for American workers if more paid time off is offered. We're still light years behind Europeans as far as paid time off.
Actually we work about the same amount of hours as people in Canada, Great Britain and Japan. And the American work week has been dropping since the 1950's.

But I agree that offering perks is necessary in the current competitive job market. If some company offers a day off because you got a new goldfish, that is their business. Who cares.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We recently had an employee survey on benefits. We were asked about such ideas as selecting benefits that we wanted/needed rather than a bunch of them that we don't use. For example, someone who is either single or beyond child-bearing age doesn't need maternity/paternity leave. Likewise, someone might like more vacation time in lieu of medical because they are on the spouse's plan. Basically the company has a certain amount budgeted to spend on benefits and they are trying to provide more flexibility in how we as employees use that money. I have no problem with someone opting for some kind of pet related benefit, in fact one option presented was pet healthcare insurance, if that's what they want. I cannot imagine someone accepting one job offer over another just because a benefit was "pawternity leave."

Old 03-07-2018, 10:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Companies start adopting ‘pawternity’ leave to benefit workers.

Companies that give employees 'pawternity leave' - Business Insider
A handful of employers CHOOSE to offer the benefit is anecdotal.

Let me know when Walmart, the largest employer offers this benefit to their 1.4 million US employees.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 AM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
half the people on here posting this time of day are doing so at work. Tough times huh?
Not necessarily. Most C-D posters are either retired or nearing retirement.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:52 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Not necessarily. Most C-D posters are either retired or nearing retirement.
source?

Old 03-07-2018, 11:08 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hasn't been shown to be true at all.
Some people strive to get ahead and contribute and make money. Others want a less challenging less stressful life and job.

I belonged to group 'A'. I am retired now, but when I went looking for a job I went looking for opportunity, not comfort and security.

Government bureaucracies are filled with security seekers who want a fairly easy job with great benefits. The governments habit of paying more in order to attract the 'best and the brightest' has been an abject failure.
Well good for you.
But some people actually want to have a LIFE, instead of slaving their lives away for their bosses.
No matter how much *opportunities* ( quoting you) America offers, it's still lagging behind Europe, when it comes to balancing "work" and "life."

Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Just the free market at work providing incentives to entice workers since the economy is at full employment.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 AM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The economy is at full employment
Is it really?

Old 03-07-2018, 11:27 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
This entire notion of pets being treated as one's offspring has to stop.

I own a home in Central Florida that is very pet friendly which I'm fine with, but seeing women with their dogs in strollers is disturbing. These are not old dogs (or old ladies)...this is simply how MANY women there "walk" their dogs. When we moved there almost 5 years ago, we saw it once in awhile. Now it is daily, dozens of them.

Frankly, it's embarrassing.

Re: the OP. We owned dogs throughout our lives and when I worked if a person called in to say their dog died/put to sleep and asked for the day or afternoon off, using their personal/vacation time, I never said, no, even in busy seasons. But the idea of giving extra time off for pawternity leave is wrong and not fair to non-pet owners. Let companies be generous with the number of vacation and personal days and let each employee decide how to use their time off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies