Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You do realize that party I was responding to, announced that prices had already risen due to the announcement only. Right?

And that was just proved wrong.
ok so now you're just lying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 01:22 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not to be a stickler (because you are correct in the basic premise of your argument), but I think you meant to say PRICE will go up. (Sorry, just having fun. HelloKitty, you can thank me later...)

Nucor Steel is running at full capacity. FYI, they are one of my clients, I was on the phone with them TODAY. (And my father retired from their corporate office in your home town, still lives there). Point being that they are one of the only major US Steel companies that is competitive on the global market, but as a result of that, they don't have capacity to increase production, which kind of kills your entire argument that they will, because in the near-term, they can't. (Which is one of the many reasons I'm a stockholder too!)
Many thanks for coming back with info on Nucor for I'd noticed your earlier post.

I went back and reread my post to decide the context was that domestic costs would rise - certainly short-term for bringing old capacity back online then longer-term for capital expenditures in any attempt to upgrade the industry. (Didn't get into the expense of maintaining newly on-line blast furnaces if capacity targets cannot be reached for this isn't the kind of industry where you turn off a switch if machinery isn't needed).

WaldoKitty at one point was trying to say that there would be economies of production - but that sure might be easier said than done in old-plant steel industries - UNLESS perhaps Trump really does succeed in keeping high tariffs in place for, as he said, a LONG time so it doesn't matter whether or not its cost efficient.

Producing steel is NOT like manufacturing the hypothetical widgets from Econ 101.

Interesting that Nucor Steel is at full capacity. As an efficient producer, they're doing well. Still, though, their CEO was on Cramer quite pleased about the tariffs. Guess maybe they'll be able to raise prices and do even better.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:24 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
So, WaldoKitty says he/she/it does not read link-only posts, but right here in post #2 he/she/it posted his/her/its own link-only post. He/she/it expects people to read his/her/its links, but refuses to read others'.

Pathetic.
I gave a reason for reading it. You missed that part.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:27 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
I gave a reason for reading it. You missed that part.
You gave a reason for not reading it:
Quote:
You didn't post any reason as to why it's relevant to the topic. I don't read link only posts. I've said this numerous times on this forum.
Thus, as I pointed out, it is hypocritical of you to post link-only posts, but refuse to read others' link-only posts.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Nope. Clearly that is what was stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

Unlikely to have any impact at all??? As I stated previously, a steel chassis I use in my business has already jumped in price from $70 to $147! That is just one part out of thousands. It is already responsible for a round of inflation.
Yet we later discovered, from that very example, the prices had not gone up at all. In fact they had gone down.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You gave a reason for not reading it: Thus, as I pointed out, it is hypocritical of you to post link-only posts, but refuse to read others' link-only posts.
Incorrect.

I clearly stated this...
Following new jobs coming to Tennessee due to LG announcing a new Washing Machine plant in Tenn, now USA AL manufacture announces 300 new jobs coming to Kentucky. Average salary is $90K

These are due to Trump's tariffs.

They work. And now this.Exactly the opposite was happening under the Democrats/Obama/Hillary.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:33 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I just realized that the OP might accuse me of photoshopping, so I would like to upload the current prices of this steel chassis. This comes directly from the manufacturer's website. Note these prices are based on the OLD MSRP of $81.90, and there aren't many left.

This way, when I post the screenshot of the new prices in a month or two, based on the NEW MSRP of $147.15, I can refer back to this post for comparison without being accused of lying.
Attached Thumbnails
US Aluminum Manufacturer Announces 300 New Jobs in Kentucky Following Trump’s Tariff Announcement-clipboard-3-8-18.jpg  

Old 03-08-2018, 01:33 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
For a second time, I was referring to post #2, which is little different from the post by vacoder you said you refused to read because it was link-only.
Quote:
And now this.

US Steel Restarts Two Blast Furnaces in Granite City, IL After Trump Announcement on Tariffs

Exactly the opposite was happening under the Democrats/Obama/Hillary.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I just realized that WK might accuse me of photoshopping, so I would like to upload the current prices of this steel chassis. Note these prices are based on the old MSRP of $81.90, and there aren't many left.

This way, when I post the screenshot of the new prices in a month or two, I can refer back to this post for comparison.
You said prices have already risen. They have not. You even admitted to paying less than even the reduced price after the announcement.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:36 PM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
I hope trump continues to burn the swamp to the ground and rebuild this country to the greatness it once was.

I never in my life thought I would see US steel come back. I was raised in coal and steel country. They were good paying jobs that supported families. Until, our politicians decided that corporate greed was better and allow countries to dump foreign steel in exchange for opening markets for products made
By their corporate donors. Wages went down, jobs lost.

We had a 375 billion dollar trade deficit with China last year. Enough to fund their military expansion.

Americans First!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies