Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 05:37 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Please explain SCOTUS's job. My understanding is that what they do is reinterpret the Constitution as cases arise that challenge various parts of it.
No it was never intended for SCOTUS to reinterpret the constitution. What would be the purpose of a constitution if the Court could just reinterpreted it and create laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I just explained to you the US created a completely different government from England and was only loosely based on common law.
What on Earth do you mean by "loosely based on common law"? The US legal system is a common law system. Has been from day one. This is pretty basic stuff, guys.

Quote:
Even common law doesn't mean SCOTUS completely create novel federal laws.
Correct. They simply ruled that excluding same-sex couples from the privileges of marriage collided with the equal protection clause.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,550,779 times
Quote:
No since the 1960s. You modern day liberals don't get credit for anything but disrupting and deconstructing a society that was on a much better trajectory. Don't take credit for what others did in the past who many were Western Christians.
Loving vs. Virginia. 1967.

A fine year for freedom, I must say.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:44 PM

37,162 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
No it was never intended for SCOTUS to reinterpret the constitution. What would be the purpose of a constitution if the Court could just reinterpreted it and create laws?
Why yes, it was. That is their entire purpose for existence. They hear cases, write opinions, and their opinions become law until a new decision reverses it.

What is it that you think they do all day?

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/constitutional.aspx

Old 03-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Loving vs. Virginia. 1967.

A fine year for freedom, I must say.
Another example of jackbooted, black-robed thugs legislating from the bench, overruling the Tennessee (was it Tennessee? One of those sorta states) legislature, dictating by fiat and creating laws based on their own completely novel interpretation of the constitution and ignoring the legislature's purview.

Am I doing this right?

Old 03-08-2018, 05:46 PM

37,162 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Another example of jackbooted, black-robed thugs legislating from the bench, overruling the Tennessee (was it Tennessee? One of those sorta states) legislature, dictating by fiat and creating laws based on their own completely novel interpretation of the constitution and ignoring the legislature's purview.

Am I doing this right?
By Jove, I think you've got it!

Old 03-08-2018, 05:48 PM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
My bad. I forgot Cthulhu, too. And about 5,000 more gods running around loose.

We're gonna need a court house with bigger walls and grounds, I think, to accommodate everyone.
I love it when someone brings up the FSM. I always chuckle because I'm reminded of the woman (a FSM 'disciple') who tried to get a DL picture accepted with a colander perched (and tilted) as a hat on her head .

Old 03-08-2018, 05:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is a non-issue. Tucker Carlson has no credibility or integrity. You can have my post deleted a million times. Still remains the same.

Just because an entertainment tv talk show tries to convince people of something doesn't mean it is real.

Real men don't have empowerment issues. Maybe some of you do -- but well that's your issue.

And it makes perfect sense to me why a man like Tucker Carlson has to do a series like this. His short comings don't make a valid argument or FACTUAL....lol

As a mom of three boys -- trust me -- they don't feel any less empowered than mend did 40 years ago.....
Wait’ll they get to college and are told that they are to blame for everything wrong in the world; that girls are in charge of every social interaction, and can get them expelled or incarcerated for simply accusing them of sexual “harassment” — which includes the girl changing her mind about the experience days or even months later; that the sports team they wish to join may be eliminated so that more girls’ sports can be added...

You are living in a dream world if you are not aware of these things. Contemporary American society is a hostile environment for men, compliments of the feminazis who, motivated by an inexplicable but unrelenting loathing for men, have taken control of our country.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
OK. Let's make it simple.

8th amendment:
Quote:
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
Do you think that perhaps the words "excessive", "cruel" and "unusual" may need just a liiiitle interpretation once laws are being passed?

If Kentucky passed a bill that the punishment for bicycle theft would be branding in a public square followed by a horsewhippin' (having had several bicycles stolen, while I do not wholeheartedly agree, I sympathize with the idea), someone would have to interpret the words cruel and unusual. That job falls on the Supreme Court.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
By Jove, I think you've got it!
How do I get rid of it again? Because <shudder>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies