Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My wonderful SIL refuses to get re-married because she would lose all of her government welfare benefits if she did, so her & her boyfriend that she lives with plan to get married in 6 years after her child turns 18.
This one I have seen first hand. Note the woman I used to work with... she did NOT deliberately have a kid to get benefits but wont marry baby daddy to retain the ones she gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I know what you mean, I was surprised to learn a co worker, a cashier who makes minimum wage and works roughly 20 hours a week, is getting a 'refund' of nearly $11K....how does that happen?
how?
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductio...credit-amounts

max is $6316 at $14000 for *3* or more kids. 20 hours a week is 1040 hours a year. She is a 14 dollar an hour cashier? Which store? My wife needs a PT job and 14 an hour sounds much better than the typical 9 dollars she has been seeing.

BTW read who invented the EITC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... work only 20 hours/week and rake in the cash from Uncle Sam who steals it from the productive class of society? Uh... NO!
Maybe to you, but that's how it works. If you don't like it, run for office and try to implement your own policies...

Old 03-12-2018, 12:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Not always true. One has to file "Single, Head of Household or Widowed," or "Married Filing Jointly" to be eligible for EITC. Only one person per household, single, widowed, or married, can claim Head of Household status. That requires proof that the person claiming Head of Household status pays more than one-half the cost of maintaining the household.

"Section 1.2-2(d) of the Income Tax Regulations details the expenses thatshould be considered in determining whether a taxpayer has furnished more than one-half the cost of maintaining a household."

http://www.unclefed.com/ForTaxProfs/irs-wd/1998/1998-041.pdf

There might possibly be a chance of proving there are two separate households living within the same home if these conditions are met:
  • Separate telephone lines for each family. All utility bills for each family are separate.
  • The taxpayers maintain separate finances and separate bank accounts. They don't have a joint account or commingle funds.
  • One family does not contribute to the financial support of the other(s).
  • The adult taxpayers have separate bedrooms.
  • The children of each family have separate bedrooms.
  • The family members give Christmas and birthday presents separately, not together.
The IRS investigates such claims.
You don't have to prove it.
It takes a really big red flag to audit then maybe there will be an investigation.
Example. I have had physical, not legal, custody of my grandkid for almost 4 years. I have claimed him as a dependent on my income tax for the past 3 years (not eligible for EITC). His mother has also claimed him probably taking the EITC. I got a letter late last year just stating someone else has also used the SS on their taxes. Just so happened I filed before her this year so apparently when she went to H&R Block the refused her return. There has been no investigation and no one has had to prove anything.
So anyone can claim anyone as a dependent until they get caught.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:30 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. yeah no. People arent having kids to make money. Kids are insanely expensive.
You're assuming some are actually "thinking it through." BIG mistake.

If people actually thought about the consequences and expense of their actions, Medicaid wouldn't currently be paying for 48% of all US births/year.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:33 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You don't have to prove it.
Eventually, you do. An automatic red flag at the IRS is when two (or more) people file "Head of Household" for the exact same home.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Eventually, you do. An automatic red flag at the IRS is when two (or more) people file "Head of Household" for the exact same home.
One would hope.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. yeah no. People arent having kids to make money. Kids are insanely expensive.
You and I know that, but all the people who are in the lower income brackets don't think this way. And that's why the trends have been for those who are college educated and above to have the lowest reproductive rates in the US. Too many couples who are under-educated and lacking desirable and advanced job skills think it no big deal when they have their numerous unplanned pregnancies. And it's also women who aren't planning to have a career in the workplace, but instead want to be a stay-at-home mother with a man being the bread winner.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
So... work only 20 hours/week and rake in the cash from Uncle Sam who steals it from the productive class of society? Uh... NO!

Yep, that's happening!

Old 03-12-2018, 03:40 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You and I know that, but all the people who are in the lower income brackets don't think this way. And that's why the trends have been for those who are college educated and above to have the lowest reproductive rates in the US. Too many couples who are under-educated and lacking desirable and advanced job skills think it no big deal when they have their numerous unplanned pregnancies. And it's also women who aren't planning to have a career in the workplace, but instead want to be a stay-at-home mother with a man being the bread winner.

Just wondering what a stay-at-home mom with a husband that is the bread winner has to do with the topic at hand? Many mothers stay home to care for the kids while the husbands work. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford to. I was a stay-at-home mom till my kids were in school full-time and then I went back to work, but we were able to afford to do that easily. We are talking about people who purposely stay single who have kids and than mooch off the government, not married couples!

Old 03-12-2018, 03:48 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I know what you mean, I was surprised to learn a co worker, a cashier who makes minimum wage and works roughly 20 hours a week, is getting a 'refund' of nearly $11K....how does that happen?
That's impossible. A person earning federal minimum wage working 20 hours a week would get ETIC of $3356 a year "if" they have three children. In tax year 2017 child tax credit would be $3,000. So if she got 11k it was due to bad math or she lied to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies