Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:21 AM

39,010 posts, read 27,397,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Hey, I tried, and stated up front you wouldn't understand. I rest my case.
Sometimes, arguing with people like that is waste of time. I believe most people understand what point you are making and you made some very good and valid points.

The bottom line is that PTSD is one Health DisorderThat is Often Misdiagnosed.

So blaming everything on PTSD seems silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 11:23 AM

37,939 posts, read 17,764,128 times
Quote:
If you read his backstory, how he grew up without parents, and then realize he went to Afghanistan for one year in 2011-2012 (far less than a lot of other soldiers have served there, and due to the declining death rate, likely far safer) but he went over there as someone who already had issues (abandonment, no family support network, etc.)

Then factor in that he was 30 years old in Afghanistan and either an E-3 or E-4 at the time (it said he was an E-4 at discharge). A lot of his fellow soldiers of that rank were teenagers, and he was 30, which was likely uncomfortable for him at times. I know how we used to look at people who were 10 years older than we were and the same rank when I was in. So while he maybe came back from Afghanistan with issues, there is no doubt in my mind that he went to Afghanistan with issues, and anyone growing up in his circumstances is going to be affected by it.

I don't think it's fair to blame PTSD for these murders, this was someone who already had issues and was far more likely to suffer from PTSD as a result of this pre existing condition than someone from a healthy background. Just factor in all the people who saw a lot more bloodshed and far greater magnitude of PTSD as a result, and have not done anything like this.

Also remember he was in the Guard/Reserves from 1998 to 2001, got out, and could have signed up and gone to Iraq as a young man, and fought at the height of a bloody war there, but he declined. Instead he waited for 10 years, until he was 30 and things were far less chaotic, to serve in a combat zone.
The bolded is what matters. Everything else is just deflection.

Since when does having previous problems mean one cannot suffer from PTSD? Someone with previous mental health concerns is a prime canduidate for PTSD. Even kids of parents who have PTSD are more likely to develop problems. That's just common sense.

"Just factor in all the people who saw a lot more bloodshed and far greater magnitude of PTSD as a result, and have not done anything like this."

So one has to get to YOUR designated level of bloodshed in order to be deemed worthy of PTSD?
We're all individuals who are wound differently and have different life experiences. Two people going through the same thing can be affected differently. One size doesn't fit all.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:28 AM

well, for veterans who are reading this thread, read TBI (Traumatic brain injury) and know the differences between TBI and PTSD will be important for your recovery.

Many veterans actually suffer from TBI, not PTSD. There are lot of treatment for PTSD, example, EMDR.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The bottom line is that PTSD is one Health DisorderThat is Often Misdiagnosed.
And? So? What we do know is many cases like this the person suffers from PTSD.

Quote:
So blaming everything on PTSD seems silly.
You're the only one saying that. Make something else up.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 03-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
well, for veterans who are reading this thread, read TBI (Traumatic brain injury) and know the differences between TBI and PTSD will be important for your recovery.

Many veterans actually suffer from TBI, not PTSD. There are lot of treatment for PTSD, example, EMDR.
TBI is similar but doesn't cause as many serious problems.

About 80% of all TBI's in civilians are mild (mTBI). Most people who have a mTBI will be back to normal by three months without any special treatment. Even patients with moderate or severe TBI can make remarkable recoveries.

Research suggests that one week of relaxing at home and then a week of slowly doing more after leaving the hospital is best for most patients. Most patients who took this advice were back to normal at work or school in 3 to 4 weeks. Most patients who weren't told what to do took 5 to 12 weeks to get back to their normal routine. They also had more PCS symptoms than patients who returned slowly to their routines.

TBI is caused by trauma and there is symptom overlap, it can be hard to tell what the underlying problem is. In addition, many people who get a TBI also develop PTSD.

It is important to be assessed because: People with TBI should not use some medications.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/probl...y_and_ptsd.asp

Old 03-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
For the ones I'm familiar with, it wasn't about guilt. It was about being on guard 24/7, your brain is on high alert. Think constant tornado warning for nine months at a time. Okay, that was probably a silly example, think walking through a minefield everyday. It takes a while to settle back into the normal, but they certainly don't go around killing people.
Exactly!

Some say that those suffer from "shell shock" may be suffering from psychosis induced by horrible events and they believe that is different than what most people call PTSD. It is a different mechanism.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Hey, I tried, and stated up front you wouldn't understand.
You made that up. You had no idea and still don't.

Quote:
I rest my case.
lol you never had one in the first place. Quit deflecting and explain to me how Korea was a threat to our nations borders?

You can't. I rest my case.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,654,199 times
But how can this keep happening in a country where there are more guns than people? Gee, maybe the NRA has been lying to us.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,022,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Does that go for cops as well?

According to the police report, Brailsford was carrying an AR-15 rifle with the phrase “You’re F—ed” etched into the weapon. The police report also said the “shots were fired so rapidly that in watching the video at regular speed, one cannot count them.”

Graphic video shows Daniel Shaver sobbing and begging officer for his life before 2016 shooting
Police need to follow the laws they expect you to obey. Bad cops need to be punished severely. That story you posted was so awful I had a hard time watching it. Cops like that are worse than any citizen

Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,022,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You sound like a weapons expert....if you were in a coma and woke up a hundred years from now. WTF... this is saturday night live stuff. Bravo.
Ummm ok. I'm going on what I've read posted all over(not just here) from gun enthusiasts- many who think they are experts. Cmon man I'm sure you've seen it too- people who HOPE they get to shoot someone, or who are suddenly full of bravado cause they own a boatload of guns and aren't shy about letting the world know about it. It's like a contest of who is more badazz, with the winner being the one with the baddest arsenal.
I know you're an intelligent, educated person, you must have seen those discussions a million times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies