Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You really don't have to tell me about food trucks, I assure you.
You don't seem to get it's not just the mayonnaise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 03:08 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You don't seem to get it's not just the mayonnaise.
Seriously? I was correcting the guy about mayonnaise, that's it. There's nothing to get. My job involves working with food trucks so again, you really don't need to talk to me about food trucks.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Seriously? I was correcting the guy about mayonnaise, that's it. There's nothing to get. My job involves working with food trucks so again, you really don't need to talk to me about food trucks.
OK, I get it. Sorry.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
OK, I get it. Sorry.
No problem. Sorry I got testy.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:27 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,427 times
Quote:
And neither of them was an anarchist. They were not arguing for total lawlessness.
Neither are the anarchists here. No rulers, not no rules.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:33 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I no longer like eating-out......because most places that sell food do not seem that clean/sanitary. I spent 3 hours on Reddit reading the most disgusting stories written by health-inspectors and others who work in food-related fields...........OH MY!!!!

Yes, I think food safety-inspections are a very good thing.
During my uni days, I actively avoided food service jobs for that reason. I'm comically terrified of cockroaches and rodents (plague), and I would absolutely quit on the spot in a none-too-graceful manner if I ever saw one.

I grew up with friends whose parents owned restaurants...they told me stories that would make anyone's skin crawl.

Major respect to anyone who can deal with that and carry on unfazed...

Old 03-11-2018, 04:08 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
What was the alternative? Back in the 1800s and early 1900s when the U.S was receiving thousands upon thousands of immigrants, many had little to no formal education, a poor grasp of English, and not much in the way of personal funds to fall back on.

While there were government and privately operated institutions similar to workhouses for the poor, disabled or truly destitute here in the U.S, most had rules that if you came, your children would be separated from you and sent to an orphanage. You'd likely also be separated from your spouse. This was the alternative to working, and actually, you'd still have to work if you were able bodied, but in exchange for board, not a paycheck. It was only an alternative for the extremely desperate.

Many of the factory workers of yesteryear had no choice to work in substandard conditions because they needed to work. Sure they could quit their job, but then how easy would it be to find another one? The next workplace may be even worse than the first.

Unions and labor regulations drastically improved the lives and working conditions for many.
Did J.P. Morgan owning 435 w-whores in Congress have anything to do with the working conditions in factories?

You may want to research that one. They don't teach it in the State-mandated indoctrination centers.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:45 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Did J.P. Morgan owning 435 w-whores in Congress have anything to do with the working conditions in factories?

You may want to research that one. They don't teach it in the State-mandated indoctrination centers.
I am genuinely not sure what you're getting at.

J.P Morgan was thought to have had too much dominance over the financial system and subsequently power over congress even though he was not a politician.

The working conditions in his factories and industries were much like any others of the day - which was pretty deplorable by all accounts.

Honestly though, by bringing him up you're deflecting.

Again, thank heavens for laws and unions that have since improved conditions for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies