Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 02:05 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
... but there already are Public Schools with selective admissions?
Yes. A small handful. Here's what happens...

In 2016, 13,413 students applied for 3,600 freshman seats at the selective enrollment Chicago Public Schools high schools, according to the district. That means that more than 9,000 couldn't pursue a better education. The problem is even worse with CPS K-8 selective enrollment schools. Only about 1 student in 8 who applies is accepted. The interest in the better public schools is most certainly there among students, parents, and the community, but CPS refuses to match supply to demand. There's absolutely no excuse for that.

As another example...
Quote:
Getting into a selective-enrollment high school got even harder this year — so much so that members of next fall's freshman class at Walter Payton College Prep High School who won the coveted seats outright earned at least 898 points out of a possible 900 points, according to cutoff score data released by Chicago Public Schools.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...dmissions-test
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 02:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Betsy DeVos is a moron, but not a garden variety moron. She's a provincial moron. She's spent her whole life in Grand Rapids. I spent most of my childhood in Grand Rapids. I still know people who live there.

Throw out your stats & arguments until you read about the Christian Reform Church. That's what it's all about. She wants funding for the Christian Reform schools in Grand Rapids. She doesn't care about poor or disabled kids; she wants federal dollars for the Christian Reform schools. She doesn't care about the Catholic schools, either.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:14 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
See Post #274.
Has nothing to do with the tuition donor programs already in place in Churches throughout the US.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, that IS the topic: improving the US public education system.

No reason why public schools and even classes within schools can't have selective admissions. It's not a race thing. Minority students are regularly admitted to and attend the Ivy League schools and all the top-ranked state colleges/universities.
except that I've asked you to flesh out your argument and support it, which after about 7 times back and forth you ignore each time, mostly b/c at this point I think you can't. You simply say the same thing over and over again, without addressing anything else and then run and post your cool stats again. Should you chose to actually address the points I've made several times I'd be happy to further the discussion, however at this point I assume you just like posting the same platitudes over and over again.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I only heard excerpts of the interview on NPR and they were edited to make her appear in the worst possible light (it is what NPR does). However what I heard, the questions they asked her were stupid and th arguments were stupid. Her answers were evasive and not well thought out. She stumbled and said things that made no sense, where there was a perfectly sensible answer (often "that is a really stupid question and here's why . . . ")

I do not think anyone can justifiably judge whether she is intelligent or a "moron" based on this little bit of information, nor what her goals or secret agenda might be. People love to make things up with no real knowledge and then it becomes echo chamber reality. The fact that you happen to be one of the hundreds of thousands of people who once lived or currently live in grand rapids, do not make you an expert on Mrs. Devos, her motives or her intelligence. Even having met her once, I cannot make any rational assessment of whether she is smart or dumb or what her secret unspoken motives or agenda might be.

She certainly is not a polished politician or lawyer and does not do well thinking on her feet. Lots of people who are brilliant are not good at that, or they are just poor communicators (about 9%5 of engineers for example). Have you ever heard Barbra Boxer speak without a teleprompter? It is not possible she could be as stupid as she sounds. I use her as an example simply because she is probably the worst and stupidest sounding speaker I have heard when not prompted or using prepared comments or responses. There are lots and lots of other examples of people who sound stupid when they speak impromptu, but they are actually smart people.

It is amusing that people try to take the incredibly complex issues involved in education and simply all of the problems down to a single issue or two almost always based on generalizations and/or averages that tell you nothing.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:43 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Yes. A small handful. Here's what happens...

In 2016, 13,413 students applied for 3,600 freshman seats at the selective enrollment Chicago Public Schools high schools, according to the district. That means that more than 9,000 couldn't pursue a better education. The problem is even worse with CPS K-8 selective enrollment schools. Only about 1 student in 8 who applies is accepted. The interest in the better public schools is most certainly there among students, parents, and the community, but CPS refuses to match supply to demand. There's absolutely no excuse for that.

As another example...
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...dmissions-test
... but if every single student who applied was accepted, then they wouldn't be selective enrollment schools would they?

Old 03-14-2018, 03:44 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Has nothing to do with the tuition donor programs already in place in Churches throughout the US.
How many tuition donors do you think each church has? Are there enough to donate tuition to every single family throughout the U.S who cannot afford it otherwise?

I think not...

Old 03-14-2018, 04:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I only heard excerpts of the interview on NPR and they were edited to make her appear in the worst possible light (it is what NPR does). However what I heard, the questions they asked her were stupid and the arguments were stupid. Her answers were evasive and not well thought out. She stumbled and said things that made no sense, where there was a perfectly sensible answer (often "that is a really stupid question and here's why . . . ")

I do not think anyone can justifiably judge whether she is intelligent or a "moron" based on this little bit of information, nor what her goals or secret agenda might be. People love to make things up with no real knowledge and then it becomes echo chamber reality. The fact that you happen to be one of the hundreds of thousands of people who once lived or currently live in grand rapids, do not make you an expert on Mrs. Devos, her motives or her intelligence. Even having met her once, I cannot make any rational assessment of whether she is smart or dumb or what her secret unspoken motives or agenda might be.

She certainly is not a polished politician or lawyer and does not do well thinking on her feet. Lots of people who are brilliant are not good at that, or they are just poor communicators (about 9%5 of engineers for example). Have you ever heard Barbra Boxer speak without a teleprompter? It is not possible she could be as stupid as she sounds. I use her as an example simply because she is probably the worst and stupidest sounding speaker I have heard when not prompted or using prepared comments or responses. There are lots and lots of other examples of people who sound stupid when they speak impromptu, but they are actually smart people.

It is amusing that people try to take the incredibly complex issues involved in education and simply all of the problems down to a single issue or two almost always based on generalizations and/or averages that tell you nothing.
I have heard plenty about her through a reliable source, for years. A family member of mine is well respected in the trades in Grand Rapids & has done a lot of work for her & her extended family. I'm not going to post any specifics on the internet, not when it could have an effect of someone making a living.

You don't have to be stupid to be a moron, although they usually go hand in hand.

The schools in Grand Rapids have been terrible for decades. In my neighborhood, a couple of Christian Reform kids went to the Christian Reform school. Some Catholic kids went to Catholic schools. The rest went to public schools & their parents arranged for tutors, depending on their finances. When I was in 2nd grade, l tutored a neighbor for reading because her mother was a widow & couldn't afford to pay for a tutor. I taught her phonics & then she tutored her younger brother.

I understand where Betsy DeVos is coming from that the Grand Rapids public schools are & have been horrible. If she was truly interested in helping, the millions & millions of dollars in political donations could have put thousands of poor kids through better schools. She wants the feds to give money to the Christian Reform schools. I learned about it over 20 years ago, when I first learned about her.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Betsy DeVos is a moron, but not a garden variety moron. She's a provincial moron. She's spent her whole life in Grand Rapids. I spent most of my childhood in Grand Rapids. I still know people who live there.

Throw out your stats & arguments until you read about the Christian Reform Church. That's what it's all about. She wants funding for the Christian Reform schools in Grand Rapids. She doesn't care about poor or disabled kids; she wants federal dollars for the Christian Reform schools. She doesn't care about the Catholic schools, either.
Ex-Grand Rapids’er here. Your comment is spot on.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:52 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
actually it is what the DOE is about:

The Roles of Federal and State Governments in Education - FindLaw

The federal laws with the most impact on education concern:

Equal access to education
Safeguarding students' constitutional rights.
Safeguarding teachers' constitutional rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...t_of_Education

The primary functions of the Department of Education are to "establish policy for, administer and coordinate most federal assistance to education, collect data on US schools, and to enforce federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights."
You didn’t write DOE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies