Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Darn, with we had watched it, but we were involved in a more relaxed TV program, the picking of March Madness. I love to read CD when all the libs come out against someone they don't agree with, especially when they can't stand a person who might be for things like school choice and opposed to the teachers union. Isn't it too bad so many have to judge someone by the way they handle themselves when being interviewed. Some people are not comfortable in front of the cameras Have any of you bashers thought about that? I am not saying she did a good or bad job, I didn't watch as I said, but I do think name calling and saying she is stupid, etc is way over the top.

Last edited by nmnita; 03-12-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 02:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Education is largely a LOCAL issue, controlled, and funded largely through real estate, and property taxes. Any other issues should be addressed at the State level if the locals can't address them. The Federal Dept. of Ed is redundant, unnecessary, and should be abolished.
totally agree with you on this. Schools are something cities or maybe even states should control What works in one state could be a disaster in another. rural regions and urban regions have totally different concerns.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Maybe somebody will have the answer to that right after they have the answer to what Jared and Ivanka are being paid to do, lol.
Let's not get sidetracked into what Jared's up to (hint: hustling suckers for family real estate scams) or Ivanka (hint: Ambassador to South Korea) either for that matter.

What is this DeVos up to?

She's been involved in education on the national level for a year, and on the Michigan level for years before that, pushing vouchers the whole time.

This is her big shot and she can't come up with a coherent answer let alone any evidence that vouchers improve educational outcomes?

What the hell?

Old 03-12-2018, 02:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
totally agree with you on this. Schools are something cities or maybe even states should control What works in one state could be a disaster in another. rural regions and urban regions have totally different concerns.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Even within the same county, school districts can be very different in their approach. There is no mandate that require every school in America to operate in the exact same way.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Some people are not comfortable in front of the cameras.
If that's the case, then don't get a job where you will be required to give on camera interviews.

However, that is not the case here. She just doesnt know anything about the American education system, despite that being her job.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Our public education system is royally messed up. Everyone agrees, yet only Betsy DeVos is approaching it with a fresh, new attitude. Libs don't want to make any changes except throw more money at a system that is failing our children.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Democrats keep doing the same thing over and over...that tells you everything you need to know.
All of the data, even the data that DeVos herself cites, shows that Michigan’s public schools have gotten WORSE since the introduction of school choice and charter schools. I object to DeVos pushing a plan that has been shown empirically not to work.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Fictional job for a fictional State in charge of fictional "education".

All things considered...what do you expect?

Old 03-12-2018, 02:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Darn, with we had watched it, but we were involved in a more relaxed TV program, the picking of March Madness. I love to read CD when all the libs come out against someone they don't agree with, especially when they can't stand a person who might be for things like school choice and opposed to the teachers union. Isn't it too bad so many have to judge someone by the way they handle themselves when being interviewed. Some people are not comfortable in front of the cameras Have any of you bashers thought about that? I am not saying she did a good or bad job, I didn't watch as I said, but I do think name calling and saying she is stupid, etc is way over the top.
The ability to communicate effectively is an integral part of the job as Secretary of Education, or ANY position of executive leadership. Having a certain ideology is not an automatic qualification for a serious position like a cabinet secretary, except under Trump. This interview only reaffirms the naked truth about her lack of executive experience and qualification, a truth you and your ilk cannot deny so you put up smoke screens like “stop attacking her ideology, you’re so mean” BS. No one is buying your BS excuse for DeVos.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:49 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Lets translate:

She is pro school choice and anti teachers union. That is really the issue of why the left hates her.

Whether she is smart or not is not relevant. Its her ideology.
She's a bible thumping unqualified moron who's job was bought for her by her and her slimball brother Eric Prince of Blackwater infamy. As for her ideology, it's self ****ing serving and belongs as far away from public schools as possible.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:52 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
The NEA was setup to administer federal school regulations and civil rights issues. I agree we do not need it.

Let the local governments collect the taxes and then use vouchers to create a free market. Get the government out of the teaching end of it. They can decide salaries and benefits based on the private sector. Not because of union influence.
This is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies