Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Your second link doesn't work. Here is the March Issue, migratory birds, lakes drying up, space, microbes and Syria. I don't see anything related to what you claim in your original link other than references to their history and self criticism for the way they portrayed aborigines, blacks and South Africa. If appears to be a separate NG publication.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/03/

Maybe because the OP links to the April issue (2018/04) and you're linking to the March issue (2018/03)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Climate change is based on science, who better to acknowledge the impact than a group that has studied the environment for over a century. I don't recall them being leftist until they conflicted with those that don't believe that the climate is actually changing.
Yes...and race is real but climate change isn’t, but it’s a product of the Left wing.

There you have it.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:15 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Maybe because the OP links to the April issue (2018/04) and you're linking to the March issue (2018/03)?
It appears to be a specialty issue devoted to race.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:19 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes...and race is real but climate change isn’t.

There you have it.

You have it backwards scientifically speaking, I recall NG being at the front of climate change decades ago when people claimed that the planet wasn't even warming. Now most have accepted the fact that the earth is warming although a small segment still question the cause.

Quote:
Morton thought he’d identified immutable and inherited differences among people, but at the time he was working—shortly before Charles Darwin put forth his theory of evolution and long before the discovery of DNA—scientists had no idea how traits were passed on. Researchers who have since looked at people at the genetic level now say that the whole category of race is misconceived. Indeed, when scientists set out to assemble the first complete human genome, which was a composite of several individuals, they deliberately gathered samples from people who self-identified as members of different races. In June 2000, when the results were announced at a White House ceremony, Craig Venter, a pioneer of DNA sequencing, observed, “The concept of race has no genetic or scientific basis.â€

Old 03-13-2018, 06:19 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
It appears to be a specialty issue devoted to race.

Based on the link, I think it's the April issue, but that wasn't really the point, was it?

Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 AM

19,604 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If they want to apologize for how they portrayed black Americans that's one thing, but bush people are bush people. Of course you portray them as being primitive, because that what they are. I would expect that if they did a story about bush people today they would also portray them as being primitive, and if they didn't, they wouldn't be doing their jobs.
It is actually offensive to them to portray them as something they are not. Liberals like her are embarrassed that these tribes exist because they are black and haven't been tainted by the modern world. As if that is a bad thing.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
You have it backwards scientifically speaking, I recall NG being at the front of climate change decades ago when people claimed that the planet wasn't even warming. Now most have accepted the fact that the earth is warming although a small segment still question the cause.
I know...Maybe the irony and sarcasm fell flat for you.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is actually offensive to them to portray them as something they are not. Liberals like her are embarrassed that these tribes exist because they are black and haven't been tainted by the modern world. As if that is a bad thing.
They can be embarrassed all they want, I think that has little to do with it.

However, there is a problem with portraying entire places and groups of people with very only one or few specific cultures.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I absolutely agree with you. I think this is one more example of some people thinking that a community is only good if it conforms with the standards of modern society -- and isn't that possibly a form of elitism and/or racism?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:19 AM

19,604 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I absolutely agree with you. I think this is one more example of some people thinking that a community is only good if it conforms with the standards of modern society -- and isn't that possibly a form of elitism and/or racism?
And it's only their left wing globalist version of modern society, make no mistake. It is a narrow view of humanity and community. Everyone else is an embarrassment or a blank slate in need of rehabilitation to their way of thinking and living.

They know they are elitist because they believe they are superior, but never racist, although the two are often intertwined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies