Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 12:52 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
yet many people die from street racing despite the fact, and despite the fact that the driver was tested, insured and licensed. The argument of a guns purpose is to kill is moot.
No, it's not. Cars serve a purpose of transportation. While yes, there is street racing and people do die in cars, the invention of a car serves other purposes.

Guns serve as a means to kill, whether that's offensive of defensive. You don't aim a loaded gun at another person without being OK with possibly killing them.

That's the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 12:54 PM

29,467 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Going through a process of evaluation would do wonders to weed out people who lack the mental ability to responsibly own a gun.

Long waiting periods
What do you consider long ? To attain a purchase permit in my country it is about 3 days.
Universal background check
This gets done when applying for a purchase permit and at the point of sale. Most states only do this for handgun purchases, I'm okay with making them for both long guns and handguns.
Approval by the local police
Being that you have to apply for a purchase permit at a police station, I'm guessing they approve.
Mandatory firearm training course
I highly encourage training, and more training
Physiological evaluation
Who would perform this ? If it is your doctor, current HIPAA regulations forbid them from sharing this info.
etc...
what will etc. do to keep firearms from the mentally ill ?

Other countries do this sort of thing and it weeds out lots of undesirable people from owning guns. It works. It has been proven to work over and over again.

While my answers pertain to what my state does, I feel making them country wide would not be a bad thing. Also make all purchases, transfers , new and used rifles and handguns go thru and FFL, this means a background check for those that don't know.

So Ken, what does anything you've listed in your definition of "comprehensive gun control" keep a gun out of Cruz's hands ? Or any other mentally ill person?

Old 03-14-2018, 12:54 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
No, it's not. Cars serve a purpose of transportation. While yes, there is street racing and people do die in cars, the invention of a car serves other purposes.

Guns serve as a means to kill, whether that's offensive of defensive. You don't aim a loaded gun at another person without being OK with possibly killing them.

That's the difference.
see my above post and tell me a woman defending herself from a crazy ex isn't a good reason to kill? Unless you think killing in self defense is also wrong then a gun used to kill isn't always bad. So what does it matter if a gun was designed to kill and a car was not? What matters is the person behind the gun or wheel.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
I'm glad to see that the Trumplings are upset about this. It means the kids are doing the right thing. Imagine; these kids aren't even out of high school and they have more integrity and courage than any Trump supporter could ever hope to have. Way to go kids!!!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:57 PM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Constitution was designed as and is a living document subject to amendment.
"Subject to Amendment." Precisely. Hence, the 19th and 26th Amendments, for example.

Want to alter Constitutional Rights? Work to get a Constitutional Amendment Ratified.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:58 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post

That's the difference.
Well, sort of.

Considering that in the service we used them against small boats, to blow up mines, to shoot shot lines over to other ships, guns do serve other purposes.

On the list of the sniper's targets, there is to take out optics, damage crucial equipment such as radios, to damage engines, in addition to the killing.

So the gun is not just for the killing or for the stopping of the other person from what they are doing.

3,346 posts, read 1,268,403 times
Quote:
other countries also don't recognize the right to self defense with a gun. So let's say a crazy ex goes after his ex wife and kids , she wasn't able to defend herself with a gun because in other countries self defense isn't a legitimate reason to have a gun. I am sure the 911 response time was rapid, it just wasn't rapid enough when seconds counted. Now they are responding to a murder scene instead.
But what if the attacker had a gun too?

The reason why other countries have less violent crime is because situations like the one above is less likely to result in death because a gun is less likely to be used.

In the U.S, not only are you allowed to have a gun, but so does the attacker. And they have the benefit of surprise.

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Are teachers we are paying teaching them during that time? The City of Baltimore is paying $100K of taxpayer money to bus students down to D.C. to protest.

So if we shut down school for a period of time for a Pro Trump walk out, or Pro Wall walk out, and then bus students for them, you are OK with that?
holy crap. i was hoping that was inaccurate but it's not. here's a stomach-churning editorial justifying it (only quoting the least nauseating part).

Quote:
Baltimore will pay as much as $100,000 to hire a fleet of buses to help transport city school students to a planned “March For Our Lives” national gun control protest in Washington, D.C., on March 24. In a different school district or a different time, it might be regarded as an inappropriate use of tax dollars to support what is essentially a political protest. Certainly, it’s not difficult to find $100,000 in unmet needs in city schools, from malfunctioning furnaces to undrinkable water.
Baltimore student protests and the $100,000 field trip - Baltimore Sun
speaking as an overtaxed Marylander, that is really galling. this is a city where 5 high schools had ZERO students who scored minimally proficient in math or English

Old 03-14-2018, 12:59 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I'm glad to see that the Trumplings .....
What is a "Trumplings"?

Is this something that you made up that speaks to the "integrity" you say kids should have?

Old 03-14-2018, 01:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,951 times
Quote:
see my above post and tell me a woman defending herself from a crazy ex isn't a good reason to kill? Unless you think killing in self defense is also wrong then a gun used to kill isn't always bad. So what does it matter if a gun was designed to kill and a car was not? What matters is the person behind the gun or wheel.
The point is that a gun serves a single purpose: to kill. There is no other purpose for a gun. Period.

Freely allowing people to purchase an item designed to kill needs to change. If that takes an amendment, so be it. That's what these students are fighting for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies