Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 AM

36,441 posts, read 30,800,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Only a handful of states requires all employers to process all employees through e-Verify. California, and for that matter, Texas are not among them.

As I understand it, she is a registered dreamer who came to the US with her family in 2014. As such, she is legally able to work in the US. Thus far, Trump’s position on law abiding Dreamers has been benign.

In 2014, California began to allow qualified undocumented people to take the bar exam and if passed, practice law. She is a licensed attorney in the state.
Wait a minute. I thought dreamers were children brought here illegally by their parents. As in being a child a the time they were not culpable. She is 33. That would make her 29 when she came to the US with her family in 2014. Since when is 29 a child and free from culpability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 09:31 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,837,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Lets hope ICE makes an example out of her. She needs to return to mexico and make it batter place .

For the first time in California's history, the state has appointed an undocumented resident to a statewide post, announcing the decision just a day after President Donald Trump attacked its immigration approach during a visit to San Diego.

The decision made by the Senate Rules Committee on Wednesday saw Lizbeth Mateo, a 33-year-old attorney and immigrant rights activist, appointed to serve on a committee that helps increase college access for students from low-income or under-served communities.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-und...122408144.html
There aren't enough Americans who want a political position with excellent benefits and pay.... /End sarcasm

Old 03-15-2018, 09:33 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,606,797 times
Does anybody ever read the articles posted in the OPs?

"The attorney was born in Oaxaca, Mexico, and came to the U.S. with her parents when she was just 14 years old. She went on to develop a passion for law and became the first person in her family to graduate from college, receiving her degree from Santa Clara University law school in 2016 and passing the California bar last year, according to her legal firm's website. She was officially sworn in by De León on June 29, 2017."

That is a Dreamer.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:34 AM

6,740 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Meh. It's loony liberal California. What else do you need to know?

In the land of fruits and nuts, being an illegal migrant gives you more rights and protections than a citizen.

When you have morons and imbeciles running the circus, this is what you get.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:43 AM

11,218 posts, read 8,286,421 times
I should know the answer to this, but which amendment dictates how we handle undocumented (illegal) people via federal law. I'd like to read up on it before I comment further.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 AM

62,846 posts, read 29,080,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Does anybody ever read the articles posted in the OPs?

"The attorney was born in Oaxaca, Mexico, and came to the U.S. with her parents when she was just 14 years old. She went on to develop a passion for law and became the first person in her family to graduate from college, receiving her degree from Santa Clara University law school in 2016 and passing the California bar last year, according to her legal firm's website. She was officially sworn in by De León on June 29, 2017."

That is a Dreamer.

She developed a passion for law and yet she never followed the law to become legal after all this time?

Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,698,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
She developed a passion for law and yet she never followed the law to become legal after all this time?
? She did follow the law. It's not like you can just magically become a citizen by filing paperwork and get a passport at 18... She has a right to work in the US and that's it.
If educated, productive Dreamers like her would be allowed to naturalize, she probably won't get citizenship until she is in her 40s.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:56 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,606,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I guess you do have some comprehension. Based on current laws or policies she is here legally. Eventually if Dreamers are deemed illegal then she needs to leave. For now she is a productive member of the state of California.

I have no idea why she didn't become a citizen.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:11 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,436,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is a sizable group of people in America who believe that illegal immigration is a civil rights issue, and that even illegal aliens who commit crimes deserve the same rights as American citizens.
It doesn't matter what some nuts think, the law says otherwise.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:13 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,436,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I should know the answer to this, but which amendment dictates how we handle undocumented (illegal) people via federal law. I'd like to read up on it before I comment further.

Thanks in advance.
No amendment is needed, it's called LAW. Read up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies