Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 03:48 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
While some people stress "Hispanic pride" (like La Raza and the Dreamer movement which seeks to unite the Hispanic ethnicities into a "racial awakeneing")
"Hispanics" are actually a political group. "Hispanic" organization like La Raza use hispanic statistics to get governemnt funding, resources, and to make political claims. It's not actually a real ethnic group. None of those nationalities have anything to do with each other, but they have more political clout as a single demographic.

Quote:
"Asian pride" even minorities are more specifically into Chinese pride, Korean pride, Mexican pride, Puerto Rican pride, etc.
I seldom here of "Asian" identity politics. Most people seem to go by their individual nationalities. Chinese people are Chinese and Japanese people are Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Quote:
So why do you think ethnic pride is totally acceptable but there are more taboos about racial pride (except for black pride perhaps)????
Black pride is response to historical exclusion. Being proud to be black means "I am not ashamed to be black".

Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Black pride (which I never heard of) is probably the result of America's past history with slavery. It's obvious African Americans can't point to any one country of origin since their past was erased hence Black pride.

Most white people don't go around saying they are "white" but refer to their European ancestry based on which country they or family came from.
Hence Irish pride (especially around St Patrick's Day), Italian pride, French heritage, etc.
You know most old stock Americans can't point to one country of origin either. They just know they might have at least one Irish ancestor, and their typical ancestry is mixed British Isles and oftentimes some input from surrounding NW European countries.

The reason ethnicity pride for whites is allowed and not white European racial pride is because the last thing in the world the Left wants is united white Americans. Allowing them to celebrate trivial ethnic identities still keeps them divided and not united.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You know most old stock Americans can't point to one country of origin either. They just know they might have at least one Irish ancestor, and their typical ancestry is mixed British Isles and oftentimes some input from surrounding NW European countries.

The reason ethnicity pride for whites is allowed and not white European racial pride is because the last thing in the world the Left wants is united white Americans. Allowing them to celebrate trivial ethnic identities still keeps them divided and not united.

To address the first part of your post, I'd like to point to Ancestry dot com. They would beg to differ. Sure, there are people who don't know their ethnic ancestry. But it's become a very popular pastime, and casual knowledge of one's genealogy is common. It was the norm to settle into areas where you shared something--language, foods, religions. Our ancestors built Italian Halls, they built places of worship and named them familiar things (St. Stanislaus Kotska Catholic Church, for example). They brought their distinct music, arts, and skills. Why do we value Venetian lace or eat cannoli? These are things from distinct ethnic groups, and they are part of distinct identities. Did everyone have a direct tie to their ethic ancestry? No. But it's common enough.

That second part is laughable. I mean, really silly. Insultingly so. "White European" offers nothing to celebrate other than the lack of pigmented skin. I could have blond hair, red hair, blue eyes, brown eyes, whatever. There is nothing common to "white Europeans" other than the white and European things. What, exactly, is there to be proud of? It all depends on other identities.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Nope this is incorrect Europe is not one unit Europeans certainly don't see themselves as one people called white people.(Total BS Europeans from one country lets say France have no pride related to Germany the UK or any other European Nation. This white pride B.S. is made up by people living in former European colonies.(Colonists are not Europeans FYI). The other part of your post is incorrect as well try telling most North Africans they are Black. This is the typical uninformed garbage opinions you hear from confused Americans.
It is genetic science saying Europeans are more/less related on a NW to SE axis, a western to eastern etc. That they are all from common ancestry within 1000-2000 years. Before DNA it was common to classify Europeans into at least 3-5 races and numerous ethnicities. Europeans can divide themselves into distinct nationalities and various ethnicities, but that is not more valid morally or scientifically than realizing they are one common race/subrace. If Europeans don't see their closest of ethnics integratable then how can they integrate with non-Europeans?

Old 03-16-2018, 04:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Just curious, saying one has white pride is completely taboo, but people are allowed to openly talk about their Irish pride (especially around St Patricks Day), Italian pride, etc etc. Many people here in Louisiana are also very proud of their French heritage.

While some people stress "Hispanic pride" (like La Raza and the Dreamer movement which seeks to unite the Hispanic ethnicities into a "racial awakeneing") and "Asian pride" even minorities are more specifically into Chinese pride, Korean pride, Mexican pride, Puerto Rican pride, etc.

So why do you think ethnic pride is totally acceptable but there are more taboos about racial pride (except for black pride perhaps)????

For me I am of Asian/Chinese descent but most of my pride is based on national and regional vs ethnic or racial.
Why is anyone proud of the accomplishments of other people? I suppose some people think it makes them look good that the share some meaningless connection with those who have achieved greatness. For me I only take pride in my personal accomplishments.

As for racial vs ethnic pride it all seems self serving to me. Though there is at least something to be said for the fact if it is ethnic pride, the accomplishments can be assumed to be based at least in part on the actions of that culture.

Racial pride is even less of connection to accomplishments and those who make them. Why would you be proud of being something you have no control over? That’s like being proud of being tall. You didn’t do anything to earn it. At least with ethnic pride there is a presumption in your are contributing to that culture.

As for black pride, most Black Americans has the knowledge of their ethnicity taken away from them as part of their slavery. Black american is their new ethnicity and does share a culture at least. Maybe it would better termed African American pride.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:

My family is “old stock american†as are large proportions of people from New England. We definitely know what countries we came from. Look at the daughters of the mayflower. I have known since before I could talk how highly my grandmother valued her status as a descendent of the mayflower. Honestly, you have no basis for the notion that “most†multigenerational American families don’t know where they came from at all.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:36 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
It is genetic science saying Europeans are more/less related on a NW to SE axis, a western to eastern etc. That they are all from common ancestry within 1000-2000 years. Before DNA it was common to classify Europeans into at least 3-5 races and numerous ethnicities. Europeans can divide themselves into distinct nationalities and various ethnicities, but that is not more valid morally or scientifically than realizing they are one common race/subrace. If Europeans don't see their closest of ethnics integratable then how can they integrate with non-Europeans?
1. I don't know what Axis you are referring to and I follow genetics closely.

2. All Europeans do share some ancestors within the last 2,000 years. There is more to feeling part of a group than genetics shared culture and shared experiences play a big part as well. The Irish and Scottish are almost identical genetic populations try telling them they are the same people.

3. Peaceful co-existence, shared experiences, respect and seeing other people that look different as equally valuable over time leads to integration genetics plays no part in that.

4. Inserting people into large pan-ethnic categories based on physical characteristics is stupid when they're telling you that they want to opt out.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
To address the first part of your post, I'd like to point to Ancestry dot com. They would beg to differ. Sure, there are people who don't know their ethnic ancestry. But it's become a very popular pastime, and casual knowledge of one's genealogy is common. It was the norm to settle into areas where you shared something--language, foods, religions. Our ancestors built Italian Halls, they built places of worship and named them familiar things (St. Stanislaus Kotska Catholic Church, for example). They brought their distinct music, arts, and skills. Why do we value Venetian lace or eat cannoli? These are things from distinct ethnic groups, and they are part of distinct identities. Did everyone have a direct tie to their ethic ancestry? No. But it's common enough.
Most old stock Americans are of British isles and small amounts of NW European mixed ancestry. That was the national origin of most of the colonist ancestors, plus over many generations they intermixed.

Quote:
That second part is laughable. I mean, really silly. Insultingly so. "White European" offers nothing to celebrate other than the lack of pigmented skin. I could have blond hair, red hair, blue eyes, brown eyes, whatever. There is nothing common to "white Europeans" other than the white and European things. What, exactly, is there to be proud of? It all depends on other identities.
What's so trivial about phenotype diversity? I think it's an unique mostly European quality. All Europeans have culture and history besides their phenotypes, whether you separate them by nationality or ethnicity or look at them overall.

You're doing exactly what I said the goal is. To keep white people divided and disunited over nothing. Do you really think English and Dutch and German and Austrian are as distinct from each other as the African muslims flooding into their countries?

Old 03-16-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
1. I don't know what Axis you are referring to and I follow genetics closely.

2. All Europeans do share some ancestors within the last 2,000 years. There is more to feeling part of a group than genetics shared culture and shared experiences play a big part as well. The Irish and Scottish are almost identical genetic populations try telling them they are the same people.

3. Peaceful co-existence, shared experiences, respect and seeing other people that look different as equally valuable over time leads to integration genetics plays no part in that.

4. Inserting people into large pan-ethnic categories based on physical characteristics is stupid when they're telling you that they want to opt out.
There's too much nonsense here to reply to it all. But with the bold, I just explained to you it's based on sharing genetics and ancestry (which influence personality traits) not just phenotype. If you divide people by isolated culture then what the hell are we doing with the EU and mass, global immigration? The same thing with the US. If people want to be divided into dozen if not thousands of identities, most of which are just cultural and only possible by isolation, then why are we cramming people of the whole world into Western nations?

I'm all for subdividing America into national origin jurisdictions as much as identifiable although it would be superfluous and the first division would be along race of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies