Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 02:00 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incandescence View Post
I'd love to sue the company for discriminatory hiring processes, but then I'd have to admit that I submitted a fictional application to prove it.
Post it on Facebook, that'll get the newsrooms pounding on your door...They adore these stories that pit various colors against each other...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 02:07 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Discrimination against whites is perfectly acceptable in our society. There are even laws requiring it. It's amazing how far this once great nation is falling.
Yes, when I worked for college, they had a non-white hiring bias...of course they aren't racists. In the absence of integrity and fairness, our great nation is falling and other countries have taken notice. Heartbreaking for the younger ones, but glad I'm retired!

Old 03-16-2018, 02:07 PM

34 posts, read 36,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is sad, but common. I believe the OP 100%. I had an similar experience with this. I worked for a black man once. All the employees (in the specific specialized job category) were white, but the employer was so intent on hiring a black person that when he finally got a resume that had membership in a black organization listed in the “extra” section, he called up the applicant and hired him sight-unseen. A few days later the guy shows up for the first day of work. You guessed it...he was white and only joined the black organization to increase his chances of being called for a job.
Ha...perfect, and unsurprisingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Many cis-white males opt to teach urban youth for a variety of reasons. Most reasons tend not to be altruistic or of liberal proclivity.

You must bear in mind that any hint of possible misalignment with sex or gender when working with children is still often frowned upon by many educational administrators.

Do you really think that an African-American transperson would be preferred to a white cis-male?

Seriously?
I definitely believe an African-American transperson would be preferred to a white cis-male by this particular company.

Not to mention I have had NO problem getting interviews with private schools that know I'm trans. I've had three already that have advanced to second round, on-campus interviews. I was hired by two of the three that interviewed me and am not trying to choose between them. They know I'm a white trans man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I would have leaned to the "fake" guy too... and not because of some imaginary color issues either

It was for an associate teacher position
white resume: 3 years jumpstart, random summer camp jobs, random volunteer teaching, 10+ years of "freelancing"
black resume: 2 years of jump start and 1 summer camp

the "white" resume, looks like he is 13+ years out of college, and has been job hopping around and not building any real skills
the "black" resume, looks like he is fresh out of college, has "some" work experience, and is ready to be trained as an associate teacher

right, this is an associate teacher, they want new people to train, not someone that has a track record of job hopping and an outdated degree that is 13+ years old in which he hasn't build his way up to become at least an assistant professor yet if not better
Job hopping? 13+ years old resume? What the actual...? I'm a full-time college student right now. I'll be graduating with my BA -this- May. This would have been my first full-time entry level job. I worked for Jumpstart for 3 out of the 4 years I was at Berkeley. I worked for the same summer camp (Galileo) for three consecutive summers. And I've been tutoring in my free time since I was in middle school (started charging when I got to college, but volunteered to tutor elementary students when I was in middle school.) So how on earth do you qualify that as job hopping?

I guess I should take it as a compliment, and a sign that my resume looks extremely accomplished, that you assume it's that of a person that should be an assistant professor if not better though.

Quote:
you know for an "experiment", it's a pretty lousy one when you change EVERY SINGLE VARIABLE, then you claim it was one variable that changed the results
Uh, I changed all the variables to make the black applicant worse than me, to prove that they don't care about merit, experience, and accomplishment, but ONLY about race. So it was a successful experiment indeed. DeAndre and I have very similar work experience, but his is all inferior to mine, which proves my point perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This is what I was thinking as well. It was a poorly done experiment.
See above.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:09 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
They specifically ask on the application if you received a Pell Grant for college, as well as asking "why would you want to work with low-income students?" as a supplementary question.

Yep, exact same job posting. Proving they were outright lying in their email to me when they said they "went with a different candidate more suited to the position." I already knew that was a lie though because this is for an Associate Teaching "Corps", which means there are multiple openings.

Both. I specified it in both cover letters, but it was also asked, and "race" was asked twice on the actual application.

Not yet, but I'm super tempted to. I just don't want to get into any legal trouble myself for submitting a fake application.
It's not a fake application if you claim to feel 'black inside', i.e. are trans-color.
And it's not illegal to use an alias except in an attempt to defraud.
And lying, except under oath or on legal documents like tax forms, is quite legal..especially on job apps!
The rest of your application was, despite the understatements and omissions, true.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:18 PM

666 posts, read 643,221 times
How incredibly interesting that the usual replies of "they can hire whoever they want, get over it, stop crying, life isn't fair" etc etc are conspicuously absent from this thread.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

Uh, I changed all the variables to make the black applicant worse than me...
That's not how you test for something like this.

You leave all the variables the same EXCEPT THE ONE you want to test. In this case, you should have kept them all the same except race.

You need to let this go. Just keep applying, and mine your school's job counseling center for leads. Did you not do student teaching? You should have network contacts through that experience who know you and your track record.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:42 PM

34 posts, read 36,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
It's not a fake application if you claim to feel 'black inside', i.e. are trans-color.
And it's not illegal to use an alias except in an attempt to defraud.
And lying, except under oath or on legal documents like tax forms, is quite legal..especially on job apps!
The rest of your application was, despite the understatements and omissions, true.
Lol...you make some good points, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
How incredibly interesting that the usual replies of "they can hire whoever they want, get over it, stop crying, life isn't fair" etc etc are conspicuously absent from this thread.
Maybe because this is a crystal clear case of race being favored over meritocracy. But if it had been reverse, a less-qualified white applicant getting an interview over a more qualified black applicant, you know there would be an uproar, that is also largely absent from this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's not how you test for something like this.

You leave all the variables the same EXCEPT THE ONE you want to test. In this case, you should have kept them all the same except race.
That would be impossible without making it super obvious that it's the same person applying. Besides that, having a black applicant with -less- experience, from a -lesser- ranked university, with a -lower- GPA, and -worse- cover letter and essays get an interview over the white opposite drives home the racism even more than if it had been the same application except for race.

Quote:
You need to let this go. Just keep applying, and mine your school's job counseling center for leads. Did you not do student teaching? You should have network contacts through that experience who know you and your track record.
I already got two job offers at private schools that I'm trying to decide between, so it's not a matter of that. It's just that this is blatant racism, discriminatory hiring practices, and is important for people to see, when so many people truly truly believe that systemic racism runs rampant in every aspect of society, that POC have a harder time getting jobs, that less qualified white applicants steal their spots, and other nonsense like that.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
That would be impossible without making it super obvious that it's the same person applying.
Exactly.

Quote:
Besides that, having a black applicant with -less- experience, from a -lesser- ranked university, with a -lower- GPA, and -worse- cover letter and essays get an interview over the white opposite drives home the racism even more than if it had been the same application except for race.

I already got two job offers at private schools that I'm trying to decide between...
Then what have you got to lose?

I think you should go ahead and pursue this.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
When I took education courses for SPED certification at a nearby college, one of the professors stated that "there are too many white teachers" and talked about how this was a "problem" in our education system. But I don't see anyone trying to prevent minorities from becoming teachers.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
They specifically ask on the application if you received a Pell Grant for college, as well as asking "why would you want to work with low-income students?" as a supplementary question.

Yep, exact same job posting. Proving they were outright lying in their email to me when they said they "went with a different candidate more suited to the position." I already knew that was a lie though because this is for an Associate Teaching "Corps", which means there are multiple openings.

Both. I specified it in both cover letters, but it was also asked, and "race" was asked twice on the actual application.

Not yet, but I'm super tempted to. I just don't want to get into any legal trouble myself for submitting a fake application.
Why don't you appeal it? You don't have to say you submitted the fake application, tell them a friend of yours applied. Or, better yet, contact LAMDA

https://www.lambdalegal.org/know-you...ic-facts-lgbtq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies