Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 02:58 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Some study. White men buy more guns than non-whites. Well, golly gee, since there are more white men than non-white. It took a study to extrapolate that?

Old 03-16-2018, 02:58 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
All garbage. I will allow that the average white racist is probably more likely to own guns. However, the numbers of white racists these days is dwindling. By far most gun owners are not racist.

If you read the NRA's magazines these days, you will see a lot of black faces on the pages. IIRC Stacy Washington (black writer/talk host) was on the cover of the main NRA mag recently. Ex NBA player Karl Malone is on the NRA board. So was Roy Innis, longtime black civil rights activist.

Presumably the NRA would not be taking this tack if the membership consisted of mostly racists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPf9RRJK6-U
You seem confused - we're not talking about "most gun owners".

Maybe you should re-read the article?

Also, none of what you write proves anything. Anecdotally, there are some black people who own guns or are in the NRA...OK...and?

Old 03-16-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some study. White men buy more guns than non-whites. Well, golly gee, since there are more white men than non-white. It took a study to extrapolate that?
That is not what the article is about.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Leftist/Bolshevik tactic- equate gun ownership=racism. The useful idiots will gobble anything up when that dog whistle is blown.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

Old 03-16-2018, 03:08 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
An interesting article I came across today - thought I'd share it here:

Scientific American: Why Are White Men Stockpiling Guns?

Additionally, I thought this part was interesting:

Often conservative Christians are lumped into this demographic, and I don't think that is accurate.

It should also be stated that this is topic is about a specific type of gun owner, not all gun owners. A small minority of gun owners own a disproportionate amount of total guns in the USA.
Great stuff and is EXACTLY what I've been noticing: Most of the 2nd Amendment paranoids here aren't religious. They have little or no faith in any kind of Higher Power, Order-Maker, Justice-Keeper or anything of that sort, so, because they are naturally fearful and paranoid, they feel the need to be their own higher power, order-maker and justice-keeper with their guns. And the mere suggestion that the government might in the slightest way put limitations on what guns they can own, sends them into a paranoid and fearful tizzy.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know a man who is a prepper, something I never knew about him. I like him, and for the most part, he is just a regular guy. But one day we had lunch together, and he opened up about his prepping lifestyle. It was eye opening.

Not only has he stockpiled enough food, water, etc to supply a small country, but he has every weapon they make, and enough rounds of ammo to fend off Argentina. He even has a plan of who he will let into his fortified home when the SHTF ! I couldn't believe it was the same guy I have known for years, here I was, talking to someone with such radical beliefs that I wasn't sure what to say to him.

I have no idea where all this fear of the future comes from, but there are people out there who think they need to be armed to the teeth to protect themselves from some unknown danger. Me, I watch the squirrels and ducks playing when I go outside, and somehow get through every day without worrying about needing to hunker down and shoot it out with some bad guys.

I like to watch the squirrels too. Squirrels are the original preppers. I used to like to feed them w/ unsalted peanuts. A squirrel will keep taking nuts and burying them for future use, until you get tired of it and go inside. And squirrels, like most animals have claws and teeth that they will deploy when threatened. Squirrels, like humans, are omnivores and most people don't realize that squirrels are known to catch and eat small birds.

No wild animal would be dumb enough to give up their claws and teeth, even if they could. Only humans are that dumb.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:17 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Squirrels don't grow their own food, so they need to stockpile stuff.

Claws and teeth are a natural part of animal anatomy. Guns and other weapons aren't.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You seem confused - we're not talking about "most gun owners".

Maybe you should re-read the article?

Also, none of what you write proves anything. Anecdotally, there are some black people who own guns or are in the NRA...OK...and?
Maybe you should carefully read my post before slinging your name-calling.

Just from the title ('Why are white men stockpiling guns') of this piece, it is clearly an attempt to broad-brush smear gun owners. As I stated before, the NRA would not be taking the tack it has if it's members (a reasonable representation of gun owners in general) were racists. While this might not 'prove' anything (this is not a geometry problem) it is certainly indicative.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should carefully read my post before slinging your name-calling.
To my knowledge, I haven't name called anyone. If you think I have, I do apologize for giving that impression...but I would appreciate you letting me know where I have done so. Name calling is a low form of debate - a tactic that I very rarely engage in (especially in a public forum).

Quote:
Just from the title ('Why are white men stockpiling guns') of this piece, it is clearly an attempt to broad-brush smear gun owners. As I stated before, the NRA would not be taking the tack it has if it's members (a reasonable representation of gun owners in general) were racists. While this might not 'prove' anything (this is not a geometry problem) it is certainly indicative.
If you can get beyond the title (which could fairly be argued as being a little "click-baity"), you will get to the meat of the article. Which is really about a certain type of gun owner. Not all gun owners.

I do recommend re-reading the entire article. And maybe checking out the linked research articles.

The article never brought up the NRA, either. Nor have I. Good for the NRA for welcoming all types of people into their organization...but we're not talking about the NRA here. And that fact really doesn't do anything to challenge the conclusions in the article.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

This.

Add in the fact that your average minority gang bangers aren't shopping at Cabelas or even local gun stores for their firearms and this "study" is pretty much birdcage liner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies