Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 AM

18,734 posts, read 7,606,770 times

Advertisements

There was just as high a proportion of crazy people, and people who committed mass murders, in George Washington's time as we have today.

Yet the people who wrote and ratified the Constitution and BOR decided overwhelmingly that the American people would be far safer and more prosperous, if they gave the government NO authority to restrict guns or take them away from anybody. Even if we had to live with the occasional Nikolas Cruz or nutcase locked up in a loony bin.

The only people who have authority to take your guns away is "a jury of your peers". Police, sheriffs, Congress, and Presidents are strictly forbidden to do so.

And nobody to this day, has been able to refute them.

People who feel that we can give govt "some" authority to decide which of us can own guns and which of us can't, are (a) woefully ignorant of history, and (b) wishful thinkers of the highest order. Both conditions are dangerous to this country, as the Framers knew well.

Last edited by Roboteer; 03-18-2018 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Yes, hands. You can strangle someone with them.
Hands and guns are not remotely similar guns are a tool that makes killing very easy of course it makes sense to restrict ownership. We need only look at other countries who have much lower rates of gun violence despite being more densely populated.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:27 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
No I disagree guns should be more controlled.
I think voters need to be controlled. They put governments in power that have killed hundreds of millions of innocents in just the last 100 years.

If you vote...you need banned.

(Notice my emoji has his hand to give a thumbs up? He passed Firebird Camaro's mental health test and got to keep his hands! Hooray!)

Old 03-18-2018, 10:32 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Hands and guns are not remotely similar guns are a tool that makes killing very easy of course it makes sense to restrict ownership. We need only look at other countries who have much lower rates of gun violence despite being more densely populated.
You can't pull a trigger if you don't have hands.

Maybe someone can do it with their toes but let's start with banning hands first. I mean, we have to be logical here and not crazy, right?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I think voters need to be controlled. They put governments in power that have killed hundreds of millions of innocents in just the last 100 years.

If you vote...you need banned.

(Notice my emoji has his hand to give a thumbs up? He passed Firebird Camaro's mental health test and got to keep his hands! Hooray!)
I think you have rather simplistic view of governments. Democratic nations are only as good as the voters allow many of the issues you have with the state are simply not present in other developed countries. The government is what the people demand it to be.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
There was just as high a proportion of crazy people, and people who committed mass murders, in George Washington's time as we have today.

Yet the people who wrote and ratified the Constitution and BOR decided overwhelmingly that the American people would be far safer and more prosperous, if they gave the government NO authority to restrict guns or take them away from anybody. Even if we had to live with the occasional Nikolas Cruz or nutcase locked up in a loony bin.

The only people who have authority to take your guns away is "a jury of your peers". Police, sheriffs, Congress, and Presidents are strictly forbidden to do so.

And nobody to this day, has been able to refute them.
Notice that even now, the most rabid of the gun-rights-haters is carefully avoiding addressing this fact. Not a word about it.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Notice that even now, the most rabid of the gun-rights-haters is carefully avoiding addressing this fact.
I didn't see a primary source to back up his point just a baseless claim.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
What qualifies as a "mental health issue" and who decides? Also, do these same "violators" get to keep their steak knives, power drills, hedge clippers, and even their hands?

Yes, hands. You can strangle someone with them.
The two biggest are schizophrenia and bi-polar; people with those two should NEVER have access to a gun

Old 03-18-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Notice that even now, the most rabid of the gun-rights-haters is carefully avoiding addressing this fact. Not a word about it.
Quote:
I didn't see a primary source to back up his point just a baseless claim.
Look, there goes another one!

Tossing ignorant excuses over his shoulder as he runs away from the debate.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:51 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
The AR-15, as the MOST popular rifle in the U.S. and considered Common Use, by any definition. It checks all the boxes for legitimate, individual ownership. The 1994 AWB did NOT ban AR-15's or any other rifles. It only banned a few COSMETIC features of the rifle like bayonet lugs, and flash suppressors. Most of the people that I knew, including myself that bought those post ban rifles 1994 - 2004 just put a muzzle break on the rifle instead of a flash suppressor. Since most private citizens don't fix bayonets, we didn't miss the bayonet lug.

However, once the ban ended, it was nice to be able to buy an AR-15 as it was designed. It was no more, nor less lethal during, and after the ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies