Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times

Advertisements

There is a beach town near us (San Patricio Melaque in Jalisco, Mexico) whose patron saint is Saint Patrick. As do all Mexican towns, their biggest fiesta of the year is their patron's. I was there a few years ago for their San Patricio fiesta. No one looked Irish (other than my partner).

Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
I celebrate by having a glass of warm milk and going to bed.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:13 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 23 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
St. Patrick wasn't Irish but the country adopted him. So St. Patrick's Day is a day anyone who wants to be Irish can be Irish.
Wear your green and you can be Irish AND a Philadelphia Eagles fan.
St Andrew and St George were Greek, indeed St David is the only Saint from his home country of Wales.

St George (England) was sentenced to death for failing to recant his Christian faith, whilst St Andrew (Scotland who was crucified in Greece was a Christian Apostle and the brother of Saint Peter, Saint David (Wales) was a Welsh bishop of Mynyw during the 6th century and is Patron Saint of Wales. As for St Patrick (Ireland) he was a fifth-century Christian missionary and later Bishop in Ireland.

My ancestors are from Ireland, however I don't celebrate St Patrick any more than any of the other Saints and don't do anything different on St Patricks.

Some people wear shamrock on St Patricks, a Daffodil on St Davids Day, a thisle or heather on St Andrews or a red rose on St George's Day.

Sadly the true Christian meaning seems to have been lost.

St David - Wales - 1st March

St Patrick - Ireland - 17th March

St George - England - 23rd April

St Andrew - Scotland - 30th November

Calendar of saints (Church of England) - Wikipedia

Patron Saints and Saints Days in the UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-18-2018 at 06:51 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 06:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
I think this is a valid question.

I am interested in hearing the opinions of those who've previously talked about cultural appropriation. Specifically, those who say wearing corn rows, big hooped earrings, cooking ethnic foods, etc. are signs of cultural appropriation.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:32 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I am interested in hearing the opinions of those who've previously talked about cultural appropriation. Specifically, those who say wearing corn rows, big hooped earrings, cooking ethnic foods, etc. are signs of cultural appropriation.

I'm Irish....mostly.

I could not care less about "cultural appropriation".

It's a ridiculous concept on it's face.

We're all Americans first and the melting of cultures here to the point where an African American is welcome to wear the green and have a pint with us at an Irish Pub is a good thing.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is an ass.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:36 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

No, it isn’t.

Please read post number 19 of this thread.

St Patrick’s day is just a gimmick that has been attributed the Irish in order to sell more beer. Compare to Christians celebrating Easter with eggs, candy and the Easter bunny (a pagan element).

Hence, it is a FAKE cultural appropriation.

Have a green beer and quit trolling.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm Irish....mostly.

We're all Americans first and the melting of cultures here to the point where an African American is welcome to wear the green and have a pint with us at an Irish Pub is a good thing.

Bravo. Good post.

I cook schnitzel, spaghetti, ziti, breakfast burritos, carne asada, kabobs, brisket, paella, etc. That’s authentic AMERICAN cooking. Lol!

As for “cultural appropriation” it is just some foolishness by some people who haven’t got anything better to say. Paying attention to foolishness makes you look stupid. Oh, and opinions are like rectums: everybody has one.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 AM

661 posts, read 880,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm Irish....mostly.

Since you are mostly Irish, do you think I should celebrate it?
Now that I learned that my DNA is Irish?
My Y-DNA is this: R1b1b2a1a2f*

Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
So, if we're not Italian, we can't eat Italian food; if we're not Chinese, we can't eat Chinese food, etc? WTF?!?

It's damn weird to even look for reasons not to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. But... having fun and celebrating things must now an awful thing to do. And ooh, we might get too close to sharing some traditions of other countries, and how awful would that be. America has only consisted of people born here right? No immigrants ever came here, right?

What's our country coming to? Does anyone else see our country slowly wasting away? We're becoming strangers to ourselves...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-18-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 09:15 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies