Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

What a load of crap.

Do you hunt rabbit with a 30-30? An elk with a 22? "White men" don't horde or stockpile guns, they select which ones they want for whatever use they require, the same as 'hording' tools such as saws, hammers, ladders, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 12:47 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
The LA riots took place for a reason. Instead of focusing on firearms, we need to place greater emphasis upon developing and training a more knowledgeable, diverse, intelligent, and socially educated police force.

For centuries, racist and overtly aggressive scumbags have unfairly targeted members of minority communities. That especially goes for the African-American community. These wayward rogue c cops give law enforcement a bad name and erode civilian confidence of LE in general. We need to do a much better job vetting police and LE officers in general. Once we've done that, I can assure you, race riots initiated by blacks will be a thing of the past.

Watch the Rodney King beating on youtube, then ask yourself, "How in the world could those cops ever be acquitted?"...

It wasn't the beating that caused the riots, iy was the lack of judicial balance and absence of justice that caused the riots.

That decision to acquit brought out the very worse in just about everyone in the black community.

They were all justifiably outraged and furious!
Even with all that hyperbole are you saying it's okay for certain segments of society to express their outrage in a physically violent manner? Wouldn't it be better for society if the could be coth and learn how to control their emotions in a civilized manner?

Old 03-19-2018, 01:02 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Democrats never enforce the existing laws so what good will new laws do? They let felons caught with guns go back out on the streets on signature bond and wonder why gun crime is so high. They love new laws but only want to selectively enforce them.. the law abiding citizen with no criminal record who accidentally gets caught with his conceal carry gun as he's walking by a school gets the book thrown at him while the multiple time offender with an obvious criminal record gets signature bond and goes back on the street. This varies state by state of course. I hear most about how it is in Wisconsin/Milwaukee by Belling who I listen too on Iheart and then go and research it online to confirm yes indeed they do this stuff there.

Above poster.. some men do stockpile guns... like stamp collecting or numismatics, it can be a rewarding hobby. Guns come in all sizes and configurations, and some of them can look damn sexy on display. I'm a big fan of stainless steel myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people need guns? Watch Doc on Netflix about LA riots-28804-default-l.jpg  

Old 03-19-2018, 01:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
So if I happen to have lived 30 years ago in a place that has been violent and repressed for 100+ years....and if I wanted to live in such a place, then a couple rifles might be needed with a % chance of about 1 in MANY million?

Anecdotes.

This is like saying I need a 50 lbs weight to go swimming because we can certainly find a case of a waterspout or Tornado lifting a swimmer out of a lake or bay. If we all go swimming with 50 lbs weights...well, that won't happen.

This also makes about as much sense as my dad's old math calculation. They say the odds of a plane having a terrorists bom-b on board were one in a billion. So he used to say a sane person would bring one on himself, since the odds of TWO being on a plane were one in 100 billion or so (Who wouldn't want to increase the safety odds on a plane or train, etc.??). Note - obviously, this doesn't make sense. If people bring more guns or explosives into more public places that means more violence.

Those who don't desire a sane debate always fail to discuss the correlations between violent gun deaths and gun laws. This is beyond any doubt.

Here are some basic stats:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.31de0ebb7d71

Here are the "good guy with a gun stats" - turns out RTC means MORE gun incidents and deaths, the complete opposite of the propaganda being fed by the gun lobby and activists.

Right-to-Carry Laws and Violent Crime: A Comprehensive Assessment Using Panel Data, the LASSO, and a State-Level Synthetic Controls Analysis

Besides all of the logic and reason, there is this. Under ALL the bipartisan measures suggested, the "Good Gun with a Rifle or Pistol in a Riot" can still have his pistol or rifle. What WOULD happen is that perhaps less of the rioters might be armed....less criminals.

All studies done on the matter suggest that crime in the US is no higher than other places, but the fact that a gun is often available (whether to a crook, a family man or a road rage or crime-of-passion incident)....creates more gun deaths.

Big picture - USA with 4.5% of the world population has 60% of the school and workplace shootings. Why doesn't the title of this thread say that? Ah, inconvenient truth.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Democrats never enforce the existing laws so what good will new laws do? They let felons caught with guns go back out on the streets on signature bond and wonder why gun crime is so high. They love new laws but only want to selectively enforce them.. the law abiding citizen with no criminal record who accidentally gets caught with his conceal carry gun as he's walking by a school gets the book thrown at him while the multiple time offender with an obvious criminal record gets signature bond and goes back on the street. This varies state by state of course. I hear most about how it is in Wisconsin/Milwaukee by Belling who I listen too on Iheart and then go and research it online to confirm yes indeed they do this stuff there.

Above poster.. some men do stockpile guns... like stamp collecting or numismatics, it can be a rewarding hobby. Guns come in all sizes and configurations, and some of them can look damn sexy on display. I'm a big fan of stainless steel myself.
Article I posted a link to say "RTC" (mostly Red) states would have to DOUBLE their prison population to offset the INCREASED violence from the RTC effect.

So when are Republicans going to enforce their laws and lock up double the populace in their states? Answer: Never - why? Because you are 100% wrong.

MA. enforces laws as best they can and the gun violence rates is 1/3 that of many states. That's a LOT of people alive and without gunshot wounds.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:57 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Even with all that hyperbole are you saying it's okay for certain segments of society to express their outrage in a physically violent manner? Wouldn't it be better for society if the could be coth and learn how to control their emotions in a civilized manner?
No, I've already stated that there's no excuse for violence, unless all other avenues have been fully explored.

- And you're absolutely correct! It would be much better if racist cops could control their hate-filled emotions and not continue their overtly aggressive abuse of members of certain minority groups.

Professional LE officers are supposed to behave in a cerebral fashion. The ability to act appropriately in response to environmental stimuli is highly regarded. The many hours invested into each officer is supposed to prepare each officer to respond almost instinctively to potential threats. Officers are also supposed to be trained how to differentiate a threat from a nonthreatening situation.

For centuries, African-Americans have had to suffer the loss of mostly male members of their families, due to racism in one form or another. When the loss is executed by law enforcement, it signals a sustained and relentless systemic problem. A problem that cuts deep into the fibrous core of the African-American soul...

Old 03-19-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
What a load of crap.

Do you hunt rabbit with a 30-30? An elk with a 22? "White men" don't horde or stockpile guns, they select which ones they want for whatever use they require, the same as 'hording' tools such as saws, hammers, ladders, etc.
So then, how fo you explain the huge spike in gun sales immediately after President Obama was elected?

The NRA stated that Obama was the best thing that ever happened to the firearms industry....

Old 03-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
This utopian ideal you have is disconnected from reality.

More utopian nonsense.

Rioting for just cause is one thing.

Opportunistic looting, theft, arson, rape and assault is not about showing righteous fury. It's just crime. See Ferguson, Missouri history for a lesson.

People have a right to defend themselves, regardless of your opinion.

A firearm would have been the best answer for Reginald Denny He could have defended himself with lethal force against Damien Williams, Henri Watson and Antoine Miller. Many Korean business owners also found it the best answer, out of necessity against looters and other criminals.
No, the absolute best answer could never be a firearm or violence in any manner. The best answer was rejected in the courtroom that acquitted those overtly aggressive cops. Had the verdict been fair, the LA riots never would have taken place and Reginald Denny along with other unsuspecting citizens would have been spared.

The fact people tend to ignore, is the fact that there are many victims to consider here. There are the many whites who suffered senseless violence at the hands of angry blacks. There are the many black folks who have been unjustly and routinely brutalized for centuries. There are other folks who were not black who were unfairly made to suffer along with whites.
However, there's another innocent victim made to suffer as well, and that victim has been suffering for far too long here in the US, and that victim's name is Lady Justice.

Of all victims who suffer as a result of the civil unrest that results from racial discrimination, it is she who bleeds the most. It is she who lays unconscious in the streets of social despair, and on the tilted courthouse steps of justice, with blood streaming down her wretched and twisted face, as she curses all who continue to relentlessly attack her not only at night and in the dark, but in the broad daylight!

Please tell me that this is NOT the face of AMERICA! We desperately need to rescue her immediately!

Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Congratulations. You were the first to address both the sexual aspect of guns and use the "afraid" excuse in the same post. I'll give you an 8.5. You needed to add the "big gun/small penis" reference for a perfect score.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:58 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
What a load of crap.

I must have a saw fetish. I have a circular saw, a table saw, a jigsaw, a miter saw, a hack saw and a coping saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies