Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 AM

16,960 posts, read 12,534,154 times

Advertisements

Have to say HUGE KUDOS to this college. Increase things employers employers will pay for.

http://www.marketwatch.com/Story/thi...of2&yptr=yahoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 10:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Have to say HUGE KUDOS to this college. Increase things employers employers will pay for.

http://www.marketwatch.com/Story/thi...of2&yptr=yahoo
Seems like a good marketing strategy. The demand will be greater for 'things' or as most would say, courses, that will lead to marketable careers.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:25 AM

20,794 posts, read 9,435,750 times
Good for them.

I've always thought colleges should charge HIGHER tuition for low-demand majors like English and Sociology and LOWER tuition for high-demand majors like computer science and engineering. Some people have said colleges should charge lower tuition for majors where graduates earn less money, but they've got it backwards: We should discourage people from majoring in those disciplines by charging them higher tuition; the reason graduates don't earn as much money in those majors is because they're in low demand.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:28 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,526,371 times
Stevens Point is where you go for conservation degree, that is well known here.

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Good for them.

I've always thought colleges should charge HIGHER tuition for low-demand majors like English and Sociology and LOWER tuition for high-demand majors like computer science and engineering. Some people have said colleges should charge lower tuition for majors where graduates earn less money, but they've got it backwards: We should discourage people from majoring in those disciplines by charging them higher tuition; the reason graduates don't earn as much money in those majors is because they're in low demand.
I say charge the same per course. Let people choose and pay.

Those that choose liberal arts and don't make their money back - -that's on them.
Those that choose marketable careers and make their money back -- that's on them.

This school is making a grand gesture but the reality is that the demand for liberal arts is diminishing. The demand for skilled careers increasing.

They are just making a sound business move.https://www.marketwatch.com/story/li...eed-2017-06-05

13,899 posts, read 6,424,207 times
Quote:
Good for them.

I agree, with as much mental illness circulating in the world today we must limit people's choices or "nudge" them in the "proper" direction since they are incapable of making those choices on their own.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,779,430 times
Others should follow its lead. Colleges are doing kids a great disservice by tempting them into majors that will not lead to careers. Kids who are genuinely interested in English, etc., who want self-knowledge or to engage the permanent questions of mankind will still have more than enough colleges to cater to them.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I agree, with as much mental illness circulating in the world today we must limit people's choices or "nudge" them in the "proper" direction since they are incapable of making those choices on their own.
The problem is that young people often don't really have a sense of what's realistic and what's not. Too many young people go into majors like art or English because it's easy and they like it (and they don't know what else to major in) and think that'll be good enough. IMO we need something else to force them into thinking a bit harder about what they're getting into. If they learn their tuition is going to be, say, 40% higher if they major in English as opposed to mechanical engineering, they might give it some additional thought. It might be enough to discourage some people who probably aren't college material in the first place who are giving it a go just because they think they can major in something easy.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Good for them.

I've always thought colleges should charge HIGHER tuition for low-demand majors like English and Sociology and LOWER tuition for high-demand majors like computer science and engineering.
Most major universities have "cash cow" departments.

These are colleges within the university that have lower academic standards for admission, easier curricula, and spend far less per-student (while charging full tuition).

So for instance where I went to college, the "Sports and Entertainment Management" department cranked out diplomas to marginal students, at about 1/2 the cost-per-head. Meanwhile the Computer Science, Engineering, Business, etc., departments were far more selective, with far fewer students, and spent about 3x-10x more per head.

At a large, well-known university in my area, they have a Journalism department that does the same thing. Their standards to be accepted into journalism are low, the amount per-student spent on journalism majors is low, and it's the largest department in the university. They use that extra money to fund their high-ranking biology / pharmacology programs.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Most major universities have "cash cow" departments.

These are colleges within the university that have lower academic standards for admission, easier curricula, and spend far less per-student (while charging full tuition).

So for instance where I went to college, the "Sports and Entertainment Management" department cranked out diplomas to marginal students, at about 1/2 the cost-per-head. Meanwhile the Computer Science, Engineering, Business, etc., departments were far more selective, with far fewer students, and spent about 3x-10x more per head.

At a local university near me, they have a Journalism department that does the same thing. Their standards are much lower for that major, and the amount spent per-student is small.
Many of the "cash cow" programs are, indeed, ones with lower academic standards, but not all of them. I know for some colleges their law school is a cash cow (because of big demand and low costs) but academic standards for some of them can be pretty high. I think they also charge high tuition in a lot of them, which is one reason they're cash cows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies