Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times

Advertisements

Credit history is something you build over time and generally has nothing to do with criminal history. Credit card company's just want to know if you pay your bills. I have never had one ask me about legal troubles I may have had in the past out side of going bankrupt etc.

Good credit history does have perks. I have gone to a car dealer, said I want to buy a car but it will be a week or 10 days to before I can get the cash out of the bank. The dealer looks at my credit history and says, great, here are the keys, take it home, come back when you have the money.

Its like a lot of things in life. It does not come overnight. It takes years of work, including education and ambition as well as some morality and honesty. Its not easy and there are days you get knocked down and just want to say screw it. Get up and start again the next day. A good partner helps, wife, husband, where you can support each other.

Last edited by ditchoc; 03-20-2018 at 04:18 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 04:17 AM

89,007 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When you look at the headline, it seems we had LESS problems before the days of nearly every employer doing pre-employment BG checks, how does that make any sense?

I know this for a fact actually, the company I work for does extensive pre-employment BG checks, but at the same time, we have more problems with employee theft today, than the days before BG checks were done. (1980s and 90s).
Irrelevant. Anecdotal. Someone else can chime in and say they've had much fewer problems with renters or employees since they've been using background/credit checks to screen out those who have proven themselves to be irresponsible.

Quote:
Its also not entirely representative of a persons character, an 18yr old that is convicted of something, will still have to answer for that when he applies for a job in his 50s or 60s. People are entitled to second chances, (no matter what their crime was).
Indeed, it is representative. Illegal activity is a CHOICE. When one CHOOSES to behave irresponsibly, why should that expression of his/her character not be believed? And anyone who wishes to give them a 2nd chance, may do so, so I don't see the problem.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
There is no evidence that a low credit score causes bad job performance or increases chances of theft. It is all tribal witchcraft, employers using such a system might as well be burning tea leaves and decide if the smoke blows South they are bad and if the smoke blows north they are good.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Credit history is something you build over time and generally has nothing to do with criminal history. Credit card company's just want to know if you pay your bills. I have never had one ask me about legal troubles I may have had in the past out side of going bankrupt etc.

Good credit history does have perks. I have gone to a car dealer, said I want to buy a car but it will be a week or 10 days to before I can get the cash out of the bank. The dealer looks at my credit history and says, great, here are the keys, take it home, come back when you have the money.

Its like a lot of things in life. It does not come overnight. It takes years of work, including education and ambition as well as some morality and honesty. Its not easy and there are days you get knocked down and just want to say screw it. Get up and start again the next day. A good partner helps, wife, husband, where you can support each other.
Employers also do credit checks before hiring employees, to gauge both the applicant's personal responsibility, and whether embezzlement might be a risk due to problems with debt. Insurance companies do credit checks, as well, and they have a bearing on the insurance premium rate one is charged.

The lesson? Your past actions frequently dictate your future opportunities. Think carefully before you act criminally and/or irresponsibly.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
There is no evidence that a low credit score causes bad job performance or increases chances of theft.
It's an indication of personal irresponsibility, and employers do have the right to take that into consideration when hiring.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 AM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Many states/cities restrict employers from using personal credit information when hiring. Check to see if your state/city does. If it's restricted then take the action allowed by your state/city against those who do use that type of info.

"As of March 1, 2017, the following states and cities currently limit employers' use of credit information in employment:

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, New York City, New York, Oregon, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Washington State and Washington, D.C.

The remaining states generally allow the use of credit information in employment decisions, subject to the laws of some U.S. cities, and Federal Law. However, there are various pending bills in numerous states and cities relating to the use of credit information in employment decisions, the majority of which address restrictions or exemptions."

http://www.microbilt.com/Cms_Data/Co...-03-01-17-.pdf

Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Many states/cities restrict employers from using personal credit information when hiring. Check to see if your state/city does. If it's restricted then take the action allowed by your state/city against those who do use that type of info.

"As of March 1, 2017, the following states and cities currently limit employers' use of credit information in employment:

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, New York City, New York, Oregon, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Washington State and Washington, D.C.

The remaining states generally allow the use of credit information in employment decisions, subject to the laws of some U.S. cities, and Federal Law. However, there are various pending bills in numerous states and cities relating to the use of credit information in employment decisions, the majority of which address restrictions or exemptions."

http://www.microbilt.com/Cms_Data/Co...-03-01-17-.pdf
"Limit" being the key word. In general, in any of the following situations, employers may use credit checks in hiring and/or continuing employment decisions:

• Federal or state law requires bonding or other security for the person holding the position.
  • The position requires custody of, or unsupervised access to, at least $2,500 in cash or marketable assets.
  • The duties of the job include signatory power for business assets of at $100 or more per transaction.
  • The position is managerial, and involves setting the direction and control of the business.
  • The position requires access to personal or confidential information, trade secrets, financial information, or state or national security information.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:19 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishim View Post
I have a gross misdemeanor conviction from 4 years ago. I've had numerous job offers and apartments fall through because of it.

Credit checks too are becoming more and more common for housing and employment. So basically if you have bad credit we don't want to help you try to get out if it. And if you have any kind of criminal conviction oh we also don't want to help you in any way put that behind you.

So you end up with a system that keeps people down essentially, forcing them to take ****ty jobs if they can even get that, and live in a ****ty neighborhood with a ****ty landlord. Or worse, be jobless and homeless.

You can of course luck out on both the job and housing front but you're entirely dependent on someone giving you a chance. For a society that is supposed to pride itself on individual upward mobility, it seems odd that we put the fate of millions essentially into the generous hands of someone else who has to "give them a chance."

I feel like if someone has paid their dues for their crimes and are a free person, no one should be able to hold their past against them, as it will just keep people stuck with their past instead of allowing them to move forward.

On the credit front, I understand a low credit score can be a good predictor, but if someone can show you their income and have a good rental history and references, I don't see why a credit score should prevent someone from getting housing, and especially a job, as they need that job to improve their credit.

Background is treated as an automatic exclusionary force unless you find someone who is understanding. It shouldn't be that way.

I honestly think these systems already are essentially a social credit system in the US, with the result of extreme economic segregation that often falls along racial lines. I can't even imagine being a black person with a felony on their record.
As a real estate professional I don’t see any discrimination as we often run applications brought by third party realtors for rentals. The same as with offers to buy, we don’t know anything else than a name on the paper.

With a sale we go by proof of funds and how strong the offer is. We don’t know what race, religion Etc the buyers have.

With rentals we go by “history”. People with great credit often will move faster and not a great Tenant for a landlord who wants a long term tenant so if you call that discrimination too?

We let owners decide and most owners will decide for the one with the best credentials. We only run one at the time so at our office it is not about taking multiple applications for one property.

People with bad credit have proven to be Tenants who easier will stop paying the rent, avoiding our office when we try to be in contact for whatever reason and we had more issues with people with felonies as some owners didn’t mind taken them as a tenant. Often we saw Pitt bulls sneaked in, late payments and lack of maintenance.

Of course second chances should be given to people who have proven to deserve them.

But does that mean we have to do the owner a disservice by using the owners place as a chance the person may be changed or not?

We always tell people to be honest on applications and often the denial is easy as usually people with evictions and felonies lie on their application as they often seem to think that we are just taking their money and won’t run an application.

Why not rent from a private person who often are willing to take people without security deposit. Usual, because they are a slumlord. Of course there are also the naive good landlords who feel
They can do it on their own. Smart landlords who rent out on their own, act the same as we do!

Protect their asset. Is that now a crime to do?

If you don’t want to be treated like the OP than don’t do the crime. It is not that they didn’t know there are consequences when they did the crime. They just thought they wouldn’t get caught.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
All of those checks is not something new. You knew that, and still you CHOSE to be a criminal. No sympathy here.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 AM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Limit" being the key word. In general, in any of the following situations, employers may use credit checks in hiring and/or continuing employment decisions:

• Federal or state law requires bonding or other security for the person holding the position.
  • The position requires custody of, or unsupervised access to, at least $2,500 in cash or marketable assets.
  • The duties of the job include signatory power for business assets of at $100 or more per transaction.
  • The position is managerial, and involves setting the direction and control of the business.
  • The position requires access to personal or confidential information, trade secrets, financial information, or state or national security information.
Yep. Generally in the states that restrict using credit info, it's only allowed to use credit info when hiring if a person is working with/around a companies money or confidential information. The laws are different for each place, though some may be comparable to others. I don't know which state the OP is in, which is why I included that link so the OP could, himself, use it as a guide. A 3rd party site, like the one I linked, should only be used as a guide, a person needs to look up their states laws on their states websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies