Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And if you are the employer/landlord, by all means, use your own personal criteria for forming associations. Why should other employers/landlords not b allowed to apply their on criteria?
I'm not saying they cannot use whatever information that they have. I'm saying that the system is set up to give far more access to people's information than I feel should be allowable by law in the first place.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think anybody are saying employees should not be given the freedom of choice. But you seem to believe that ALL people with criminal records should be punished for life. Kind of harsh in my opinion.
Committing a crime that appears on one's criminal record is a CHOICE. Don't like the consequences of such a CHOICE? Don't commit the crime. Or, alternatively, rely on those who CHOOSE to employ those with criminal records.

Again... the operative word is... CHOICE.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Plenty of them had no clue.
How is that even possible with the MSM hammering on it 24/7?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Committing a crime that appears on one's criminal record is a CHOICE. Don't like the consequences of such a CHOICE? Don't commit the crime. Or, alternatively, rely on those who CHOOSE to employ those with criminal records.

Again... the operative word is... CHOICE.
well, lol

some people's credit will easily be ruined by a medical bill or a bad divorce. I am glad I don't have to deal with either one, but life is unpredictable. So don't think I can really judge.

My brother is a criminal defense attorney. I think SOME people are above the law. I really do. Poor people are not. So this whole "choice" thing only takes place in an ideal world. Bottom line, I don't judge.

I said it earlier, I wouldn't have hired people I don't know. But my family has hired people with criminal records, and they have been the best employees and they are also friends. I don't think they all need to be punished for life. come on now.

Plus, In some states, once sealed or expunged, all records of an arrest and/or subsequent court case are removed from the public record, and the individual may legally deny or fail to acknowledge ever having been arrested for or charged with any crime which has been expunged.

SOMETIMES,
You can even pay to get your criminal records removed if you are willing to pay.

Some people DO deserve a second chance. Not all should be punished for life. But hey, if you don't want to hire them, that is fine too. I don't judge either. It all depends on YOUR comfort level.

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
I'm not saying they cannot use whatever information that they have. I'm saying that the system is set up to give far more access to people's information than I feel should be allowable by law in the first place.
So you favor a system whereby people can hide their truths in order to trick employers/landlords into associations? Any other limitations we should place on employers and landlords with regard to THEIR PROPERTY?

Quote:
I've been bonded a good many times, too. I'm fine with bonded positions requiring background checks.

If they are not bonded, it seems odd to be so restrictive.
Well, then that limits them to minimum wage jobs, so there you go.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
well, lol

some people's credit will easily ruined by a medical bill or a bad divorce.
I disagree. Medical bills do not ruin one's credit unless one doesn't make the payments medical facilities/providers are willing to offer. After all, they'd rather get some payment a little at a time than none at all.

As to a "bad divorce"... Does one not CHOOSE the person they marry? Again... that's a consequence of one's own CHOICE.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
well, lol

some people's credit will easily ruined by a medical bill or a bad divorce. I am glad I haven't to deal with either one, but life is unpredictable. So don't think I can really judge.
And misfortune still does not place obligation on others to help that person rehabilitate their credit. We are talking about the property of others, and nobody actually has a right to other people's property.

But on those two examples - medical bills and divorce causing financial issues are combination of failure to prepare and making bad choices. That's a harsh reality, but reality nonetheless. It is not the job of society to rescue people from their own lack of preparation and bad choices, nor should associations be forced or formed under false/hidden pretense in order to minimize the consequences for the individual and maximize the risk of those with whom they associate.

Again though, if you are a landlord/employer and you truly believe as you do, then by all means, don't check backgrounds, don't check credit, and form your associations however you please. Just don't demand a rule that says everyone else must follow your beliefs in the forming of their associations.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

As to a "bad divorce"... Does one not CHOOSE the person they marry? Again... that's a consequence of one's own CHOICE.
well, I am happily engaged to a wonderful man, but I am not naive (not implying you are) enough to believe that life will be perfect in the future.

Like I said, I don't judge.

If you do, go ahead. I've already said, it all depends on your own comfort level. If you don't want to hire them, don't hire them.

It is obvious you have strong opinions about this. lol

Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

Again though, if you are a landlord/employer and you truly believe as you do, then by all means, don't check backgrounds, don't check credit, and form your associations however you please. Just don't demand a rule that says everyone else must follow your beliefs in the forming of their associations.
no one said they shouldn't. Like I said (third time) it all depends on your own comfort level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies