Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I had a gmail account for five minutes until I got creeped out by ads popping up next to my emails as I was typing.
????
I've had gmail account that I use daily for a few years and have never had any ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 04:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I didn't vote Obama either time, I voted McCain and Romney, though I have said I would have voted Obama if 2014 was in 2012. How is that pot calling kettle? Also the Obama social media was not through the deceptive data mining through the Facebook's of friends that consented to the app. They didn't consent.

The issue is the poster is posting how to shutdown a Facebook, yet they support a candidate who used the tactics that wasn't Facebook's problem, Facebook asked to destroy data and Cambridge Analytica didn't destroy the data when asked. Facebook didn't do much and can't do much.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I think the rumors of Facebook's implosion are probably a bit premature. Facebook did not create a need, they filled one. So even if Facebook is in an irrecoverable death spiral, another technology company will take its place and people will clamor to jump on-board. It's inevitable.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:05 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Verizon:
Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

Apple, Facebook, Microsoft and Google:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2986...vertisers.html

Ancestry, 23 and Me, Other DNA Companies:
https://gizmodo.com/what-dna-testing...ies-1819158337

Tracking Your Grocery Shopping Habits - whether you use loyalty cards, debit and/or credit cards:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-get-your-data

1. You have little to no privacy anymore

2. Unless you pay cash (which we do most of the time) or make up names/birth dates/phone numbers for loyalty cards (which we've done in the past) they can track almost every purchase you make (I remember joking once while filling out a paper copy loyalty card application that I "didn't want Obama knowing what brand of bologna I ate")

3. Re: FB. I don't have a personal page but I do have a business page that I made based on my husbands personal page. He's careful what he posts (as a retired cop he's naturally cautious), both of us are internally programmed to disregard online ads, we both confirm any stories related to crime and/or politics that shows up on his timeline and if "they" want to keep track of my rinky-dink business operation they can have at it.

4. Re: cells phones - we both have old flip phones with no internet capabilities. Don't know anything about online "apps".

5. I have little doubt that DNA companies will eventually sell info (if they haven't already) to insurance companies (who will set individual insurance rates based not only on lifestyle habits and age, but also DNA test results that were paid for by those same individuals). Same deal with providing data to the feds - who will compile a growing DNA data base bought and paid for by individual citizens who just can't WAIT to find out what percentage of Scottish/Irish is in their genes so they can wear a kilt once a year during family reunions.

6. We were all supposed to move towards a paperless society. With bad guys hacking and companies invading, that will eventually happen but I'm not going to help it along. We pay cash for everything except occasional purchases to keep the cards active. We don't do online banking. We don't purchase products online (sometimes we'll find a product online and then call to order). We have Yahoo email accounts but don't use copiously. Aside from FB (and we're careful) we don't have a social media presence. They can still find us of course. I look up Vista Print business cards and for a week Vista Print follows me all over the 'net. But we do the best we can.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:08 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
You can delete your FB account (and other social media accounts), but at this point, that is like shutting the barn door after the cows have all escaped.

It might make you feel better, but those cows have already been butchered, sold, and eaten.

It would be a much better use of your time to educate yourself about Cambridge Analytica, SGL, and the Mercers.

Facebook was only a vehicle.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
It's like asking how to shut the barn door after the horse bolted.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
I ran across this just this morning - https://www.diasporafoundation.org

I have NO IDEA how it functions or whether it would work for you as a replacement for FB.

If anyone has an educated opinion about this service, I'd love to see it.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Aside from FB (and we're careful) we don't have a social media presence. They can still find us of course.
Again, the cows have already escaped, been butchered, sold and eaten.

Don't waste time worrying about the vehicles used to transport the cows.

Educate yourself about the butchers.

That means reading up on Cambridge Analytica, SGL, and the Mercers. Put partisanship aside. This is not just about America or the 2016 election. If you want to "be careful" you have to understand - really understand - how this all worked AFTER your information was obtained.

Facebook was just a vehicle for that.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:26 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How to delete your Facebook account - Business Insider

The hashtag #DeleteFacebook is trending on Twitter.
People are furious, and they have good reason to be: Data from over 50 million Facebook users was used to target voters and influence the 2016 US presidential election, as well as the 2016 "Brexit" referendum, reports revealed over the weekend.
As a result, people are deleting their Facebook accounts en masse:

Facebook has overstepped its boundaries.
Thanks to Trump and his cronies. Glad you agree.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:53 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Again, the cows have already escaped, been butchered, sold and eaten.

Don't waste time worrying about the vehicles used to transport the cows.

Educate yourself about the butchers.

That means reading up on Cambridge Analytica, SGL, and the Mercers. Put partisanship aside. This is not just about America or the 2016 election. If you want to "be careful" you have to understand - really understand - how this all worked AFTER your information was obtained.

Facebook was just a vehicle for that.
Re: the bolded. You're right. I don't want Trump knowing what kind of bologna I eat either. I jest, I jest.

In all seriousness you're got a point. Neither me nor my husband are anywhere near as dialed-in as most other people we know, but there's a ton of stuff already out there. I truthfully don't know enough about all of this to know how to protect our privacy anymore than we already do, and welcome input on this matter.

We lie about details on our loyalty cards, lied on details when husband signed up for FB, don't have smart phones, don't use apps, don't make purchases online, rarely use email, don't do online banking, don't provide a lot of personal details on FB, don't use our debit card for purchases, rarely use credit cards for purchases, have no intention of doing DNA testing. What to do beyond that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies