Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:12 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
People used to plant gardens in their back yards and visit road-side vegetable stands.
They still do!

Local Farmers' Markets are very popular now all across America and local produce is sold there. Road side stands are still common. People still plant gardens in their backyard. Container gardening (e.g. tomatoes in pots) is also popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I just went back and looked, and that article is from Aug of last year.

Which is good, cause having to pay $6 a loaf is irritating enough!!!
Yes, but similar articles about how produce prices are going to skyrocket and crops are rotting in fields because people want to crack down of illegal immigration started when people started talking about cracking down of illegal immigration. When you actually read some economic analysis prices are not affected by loss of illegal labor.

You don't have to pay 6$ for a loaf of bread. I paid 85 cents for the last loaf I bought. Are you saying illegal immigrants "pick" wheat?

Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

So, is it any surprise that there is a shortage of those that pick our vegetables? Politics have real consequences, and one of them is higher food prices because of an asinine environment created by the Trump administration.
Aww... so you can't have your little arugula salad now? SAD!

Old 03-21-2018, 11:51 AM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, but similar articles about how produce prices are going to skyrocket and crops are rotting in fields because people want to crack down of illegal immigration started when people started talking about cracking down of illegal immigration. When you actually read some economic analysis prices are not affected by loss of illegal labor.

You don't have to pay 6$ for a loaf of bread. I paid 85 cents for the last loaf I bought. Are you saying illegal immigrants "pick" wheat?

I understood your point, and conceded the article was old. No, you cannot find a loaf of bread for .85 cents in Hawaii.

It was a joke about our high price of food, and not wanting to see it go up any further.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
I just went back and looked, and that article is from Aug of last year.

Which is good, cause having to pay $6 a loaf is irritating enough!!!
Grrrrrr... I hate that when I post a link to an old article.

Regardless, the points I made are still valid. I just wish I had of done so with something more uptodate.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Farmers who use the agricultural guest worker visa program (which has no caps on it) have no problems getting their crops picked. It's the sleazy farmers who refuse to use the guest worker program and instead use cheap, exploitable, illegal labor who have problems when there are crackdowns. Then those sleazy farmers reap what they've sown (no pun intended).

The farmers who use the guest worker program don't charge more for their produce than do the sleazy farmers. This hysteria about $5 heads of lettuce is ridiculous.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:19 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If there is a labor shortage, it means that wages are too low. Those poor suffering Ag corporations might have to pay more for labor. The horror!
Businesses don't pay for anything. Customers do.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:24 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I understood your point, and conceded the article was old. No, you cannot find a loaf of bread for .85 cents in Hawaii.

It was a joke about our high price of food, and not wanting to see it go up any further.

Guess I'd be on a very low carb diet if I lived in Hawaii.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:25 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, the poor and the elderly on a fixed income rather take it in the shorts. But they probably eat junk food anyway.
We can send them American made pretzels and mustard paid for by the additional income taxes of all of our new highly paid American born farm help.

Total win.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:26 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Yeah, I SO look forward to $8 loaves of bread and my veggies costing 100% more. There has to be some type of middle ground.
no effect on your bread prices. pedro doesn't harvest wheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies