Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 03:19 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Would that be the same or similar to "influencing an election?"
No, though the end result will be the same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 03:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
He's putting an end to all the intellectual property theft the Chinese do from American companies as well. Good move.
Tell that to the soon to be unemployed big box store employees as the majority of their product get outrageously expensive or just cease to be available.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:26 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
That’s beautiful but with what money are you gonna protect your sovereignty?
In an anarchist society, since I will be keeping 100% of my income, I can either spend money on myself, or I can voluntarily join up with others to protect each others' sovereignty. If I wanted to join a collective, I would be free to do so, and <gasp!> even pay taxes to the collective.

It's crazy, isn't it?!?!

Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
So in near future, a lot of things will become more expensive?

---------------------------------------------
President Donald Trump will impose tariffs on at least $50 billion in Chinese goods imports to retaliate against the alleged theft of American intellectual property, White House officials said Thursday.

Saying it would be the "first of many" trade actions, Trump signed the order that also will look at restrictions on Chinese investment in the US.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tak...170735980.html
Probably not for me. I've been making sure I don't buy anything from China. Most of my stuff is made in either India or Taiwan.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:28 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Tell that to the soon to be unemployed big box store employees as the majority of their product get outrageously expensive or just cease to be available.
Don't forget all the working-class families who can only afford to buy super-cheap Chinese electronics from Walmart.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:31 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Isn't this the tariffs he announced two weeks ago. They go into effect today. Right?
You are thinking about steel and aluminum tariffs which go into effect tomorrow. It was also announced today that, besides Mexico and Canada, the European Union, Brazil, Argentina, Australia and South Korea will be temporarily exempt from the tariffs. That means that only about 1/3 of steel imported into the U.S. will be affected by the new tariffs tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
The US has been stealing billions of dollars from Chinese companies (Huawei, ZTE) for years by accusing them of making products that pose a threat and urging US telecom companies, government etc. not to use products from those companies. Meanwhile British security experts have investigated those products in every way and not found any proof. Seems to be merely an unfair trade practice of the US to protect US companies...
Also, China is itself an IP powerhouse by now, they don't need to steal IP. Huawei alone employs 80k researchers and developers, that file thousands of patents every year, more than Samsung.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Don't forget all the working-class families who can only afford to buy super-cheap Chinese electronics from Walmart.
just sitting here at my desk top without even looking too hard the speakers for my computer are made in china, the printer is made in China,the key board and mouse are made in China,my camera is made in China and the reading light is made in China along with everything i'm wearing, if you want to jack up the price China has to pay to do business in the USA things are going to get a whole lot more expensive.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:32 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The US has been stealing billions of dollars from Chinese companies (Huawei, ZTE) for years by accusing them of making products that pose a threat and urging US telecom companies, government etc. not to use products from those companies.
that isn't "stealing" , it is just protectionism

is the chinese market completely open to American firms? No.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:39 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
So in near future, a lot of things will become more expensive?

---------------------------------------------
President Donald Trump will impose tariffs on at least $50 billion in Chinese goods imports to retaliate against the alleged theft of American intellectual property, White House officials said Thursday.

Saying it would be the "first of many" trade actions, Trump signed the order that also will look at restrictions on Chinese investment in the US.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tak...170735980.html
First thing he should slap tariffs on: suits and ties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies