Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 11:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,678,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Eisenhower used the military budget to build the Interstate Highway System claiming it was for "national defense". The precedent has already been set.
And Congress agreed to it.

In the bill that Trump just signed, there is a prohibition on building The Wall, written there by Congress. So there's that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 12:00 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
He talking about doing it through the military because the army corp of engineers is under his command, he doesn't need permission to direct the army, he not taking money from the military but adding to it
Only true if the army core of engineers is going to build dirt walls by hand.

Once they start spending money it has to be authorized by congress, and they specifically called this out as not authorized. This fantasy that Trump will suddenly act like a dictator is truly perturbing.

Oh and who will pay for all the property that is taken via eminent domain?

This fantasy of folks is being created because they seem to be unable to face reality-Trump signed a budget knowing there was no wall in it. He has no plan other then to distract you with this nonsense.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 PM

48,438 posts, read 34,609,506 times
Quote:
He talking about doing it through the military because the army corp of engineers is under his command, he doesn't need permission to direct the army, he not taking money from the military but adding to it
Doesn't work that way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2018, 12:52 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,491,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Does POTUS Trump actually believe he could make this happen? Because he can't.

What I would like to see is $300-500 million put into border security. Thousands of more border agents, more vehicles, state of art technology, etc.

What I don't want to see is several billion dollars spent on actually building a literal 30 foot wall. And no matter how much he tries to walk it back, we all know Trump and most of his supporters expected a literal big ass wall. "We're going to build a great big beautiful wall." Trump's exact words.
Of course, that is common sense in which Trump is lacking, BIGLY!!!

Old 03-28-2018, 12:58 PM

12,956 posts, read 9,599,205 times
November will be here before you know it, and Trump is trying desperately to get another campaign promise on the books before the midterm elections. He wants to have something to gloat about, he wants to be able to say, I kept my promise and I told you they were going to pay for it.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:18 PM

12,956 posts, read 9,599,205 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdSqHhRvvg

Old 03-28-2018, 01:36 PM

46,887 posts, read 25,845,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Eisenhower used the military budget to build the Interstate Highway System claiming it was for "national defense". The precedent has already been set.
That's a dumb post and you should feel bad for posting it.

The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 was an appropriations act passed by Congress, not an example of a president "using the military budget" for purposes not intended by Congress. Seriously, it's an example of the exact opposite of what we're discussing.

Eisenhower: Spent money from the military budget on a construction project as directed by an act of Congress.
Trump: Wants to spend money from the military budget on a construction project against the will of Congress.

Is this subject really that difficult?

Old 03-28-2018, 01:40 PM

46,887 posts, read 25,845,533 times
Quote:
He talking about doing it through the military because the army corp of engineers is under his command
He talking, but he not know what he talking about.

Quote:
he not taking money from the military but adding to it
He not can add money to the military, he not in control of money. Congress be.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:53 PM

62,714 posts, read 28,915,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Then he should have known that and not promised it but, it is like him to open mouth insert foot. Tillerson was correct, he IS an idiot.

Let's face it you and yours just hate Trump and just resort to insults. How do you know that congress won't back his plans to make Mexico pay for the wall? As I said, I don't care who pays for the wall or what Trump supposedly promised it is well needed and only a fool can't figure out that a $25 billion wall is much cheaper than the over $100 billion that illegal aliens cost us every single year.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:57 PM

62,714 posts, read 28,915,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
So do you think it fair that our service men & woman should possibly do without necessary services to pay for a border wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for? Nice

Why do you assume that's what would happen? There is also a lot of waste in military spending so cutting the fat could pay for the wall. Mexico can reimburse us for it as in Trump's plan below. As for me, I don't care who pays for it as it is well needed.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies