Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times

Advertisements

The original poster didn't mention which state they live in. That would be helpful to know so that we could intelligently discuss factual information about whether his state's public universities within his or her state are actually admitting international students in such large numbers that in-state students are being deprived of access.

International students often have a lower admissions rate than resident students. For instance, in my state (California) UC Berkeley is considered by many to be the "top" public university. Last year at UC Berkeley, the admissions rate for in-state students last year was 20% while for international students it was 8%. (For students from other states, it was 17%). In terms of numbers applying, 49,000 state residents applied for freshmen admission compared to 14,000 international students. Resident students are given priority in admission; the minimum GPA and test score requirements are lower for resident students than they are for international and out of state students. International students also have to take extra exams for admission.

In my experience, this is true at many other flagship public universities in other states as well. Some states, however, actually rely on out of state students to fill seats in public universities, so they admit out of state and international students at higher rates. But, there is no public university that I am aware of that does not give priority in admission to its own resident students.

So, again, we'd need to know which specific public university the original poster is talking about in order to intelligently discuss whether the issue he/she raises is applicable to that state.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-27-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Well, it'll continue to be necessary as Americans write off their own as too dumb/spoiled/lazy.

And I have to laugh at the idea of international students being less spoiled. They almost all came from wealthy families back home. Several of my roommates were from Asian countries, and they weren't used to not having a maid pick up after them all the time.

They drove around in luxury cars, regularly shopped at high-end designer shops, partied at exclusive clubs instead of working at night...while the Americans were making do with thrift stores, cheap ramen, and bicycling to and from their crap jobs between classes.
Nothing's changed. The dorm's communal kitchen is heavily used by international students, mostly Chinese, and it's always filthy with trash cans overflowing, the floor a sticky mess, and grease all over everything. These young people are not at all accustomed to cleaning up after themselves. Drives my daughter absolutely nuts!

Old 03-27-2018, 10:15 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nothing's changed. The dorm's communal kitchen is heavily used by international students, mostly Chinese, and it's always filthy with trash cans overflowing, the floor a sticky mess, and grease all over everything. These young people are not at all accustomed to cleaning up after themselves. Drives my daughter absolutely nuts!
I have three sons -- one with a masters, one with an undergraduate and one in his third year of his undergraduate.

They have all had the disastrous dorm mates or room mates who are dirty and don't clean up after themselves.

Most of them have been white males brought up in upper middle class neighborhood but there have been females too. And my sons have complained ab out their inability to clean up after themselves.

You see -- it isn't a Chinese thing, it isn't an American thing -- it's a kid thing.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsreports View Post
Universities don't want in-staters enrolling because then they only get $15k/year tuition.
correct. universities have multiple, often competing, goals.

but, you know, if you want to run for state-level office on the platform of raising taxes to pay for more higher ed funding, then knock yourself out. Because that's what it would take.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
What you call xenophobia is the expression of a fundamental human right. It needs no further justification. No one needs to "make up facts" to support the obvious right not to be invaded.

uh, no, "protection from the effects of immigration" is not a human right

Old 03-27-2018, 10:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I have three sons -- one with a masters, one with an undergraduate and one in his third year of his undergraduate.

They have all had the disastrous dorm mates or room mates who are dirty and don't clean up after themselves.

Most of them have been white males brought up in upper middle class neighborhood but there have been females too. And my sons have complained ab out their inability to clean up after themselves.

You see -- it isn't a Chinese thing, it isn't an American thing -- it's a kid thing.
There's some of that, yes. I should have been more clear in expressing my thoughts. This is not an anti-international student rant. I'm just pointing out that the idea that every international student has a great work ethic is false. Some absolutely are here to party on their parents' dime. This year, a whole heap of them live in my daughter's dorm, which houses about 75% of first-year international students.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There's some of that, yes. I should have been more clear in expressing my thoughts. This is not an anti-international student rant. I'm just pointing out that the idea that every international student has a great work ethic is false. Some absolutely are here to party on their parents' dime. This year, a whole heap of them live in my daughter's dorm, which houses about 75% of first-year international students.

Yup kids are kids.

Lots of kids drop out -- even the ones who took student loans to get their in the first place.
International and domestic -- these kids are kids. Some just don't apply themselves.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:24 AM

174 posts, read 113,029 times
I kind of agree. I wanted to get a masters in cs or something straight out of college, but seeing that most of the programs I wanted to get in were like 90% international students was quite the turn off.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpsreports View Post
I wonder why no one seems to question the fact that Americans have to compete with 7+ billion non-Americans to get into American universities. The imported talent then gets to compete with Americans for highly desired jobs in America. If they can't get a job straight out of undergrad school, they just enroll in a Masters program and keep trying. I have a friend who is getting a 2nd Masters degree just to stay in the U.S. and try to get a good job. By the way, these students almost always come from extremely wealthy families and can afford expensive apartments and cars while paying $50k/year in tuition. Universities don't want in-staters enrolling because then they only get $15k/year tuition.
State universities depend on their tuition to survive. The in-state tuition paid by local kids cannot support the stadiums and dormitories.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
I kind of agree. I wanted to get a masters in cs or something straight out of college, but seeing that most of the programs I wanted to get in were like 90% international students was quite the turn off.
If you work for a major IT company, many developers will be "international" too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies