Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 01:25 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Right. Because seeing their friend shot dead before their eyes certainly would not motivate a young person to protest.
It would make me want to carry in order to defend myself.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I think this "conventional wisdom" - that people are liberal when young and become more conservative with age - is not really true. I think there was a thread about this not long ago. It was entitled: “New Study Shows Young People Are Staying Liberal and Conservatives are Dying Off.” But experience (not research) tells me that most people who are liberals when young continue to be liberals when old. I imagine the same is true of conservatives. Most people don't change their political viewpoints much over the years.
The article didn't make sense. How could the republicans control all 3 branches of government if conservatism is dying off? Because an article said so?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why is it interesting?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
It always cracks me up to hear older teenagers on the verge of high school graduation described as children. An eighteen-year-old headed off to college, the military, or full-time employment is not a child in the same sense as a ten-year-old. These are young adults, and in any other time than now would be seen as such. They have their own ideas, motivations, and passions, sometimes at odds with those older than they are, and as such the most common way their opponents have to denigrate them is to dismiss them as "children" who are being used by others, but it's a false characterization. I have three young adult and teenage children, and their opinions are their own. They are not the mouthpieces or the left or right, but they are a political force that those currently in positions of power need to come to grips with, and soon. They are soon-to-be voters, if they aren't already, and they will have a voice in government just like the rest of us.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:36 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It always cracks me up to hear older teenagers on the verge of high school graduation described as children. An eighteen-year-old headed off to college, the military, or full-time employment is not a child in the same sense as a ten-year-old. These are young adults, and in any other time than now would be seen as such. They have their own ideas, motivations, and passions, sometimes at odds with those older than they are, and as such the most common way their opponents have to denigrate them is to dismiss them as "children" who are being used by others, but it's a false characterization. I have three young and adult and teenage children, and their opinions are their own. They are not the mouthpieces or the left or right, and they are a political force that those currently in positions of power need to come to grips with, and soon. They are soon-to-be voters, if they aren't already, and they will have a voice in government just like the rest of us.
No one desputes their desire to protest. But explain to me how does a group’s of high school students organize and fund a massive protest complete with ready made professionally printed signs and bus service? Why were students who were at the school excluded from all these events merely because they don’t want to ban guns? This was about a special interest group with money using these students and the emotions tied to the shooting to conduct a protest against Trump, NRA, Republican Party, guns, and the Second Amendment.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah this has been happening for decades if not centuries....the young are often idealistic and friendly to Leftist philosophies until they (the intelligent ones) get older and realize eventually you run out of other peoples money.

I think it's good that young are getting involved but they are not yet wise enough to make good decisions with politics are anything else for that matter.
You think that the young people who marched with MLK no longer believe in his message as older adults?
Changed their minds about the travesty that was the Vietnam Nam war?

My thoughts and feelings about those and many other issues are the same now that I am in my 60s as they were when I was a teenager.

I know that I am not alone.
And I suspect that is the fear driving so many to denigrate and dismiss those kids.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It always cracks me up to hear older teenagers on the verge of high school graduation described as children. An eighteen-year-old headed off to college, the military, or full-time employment is not a child in the same sense as a ten-year-old. These are young adults, and in any other time than now would be seen as such. They have their own ideas, motivations, and passions, sometimes at odds with those older than they are, and as such the most common way their opponents have to denigrate them is to dismiss them as "children" who are being used by others, but it's a false characterization. I have three young adult and teenage children, and their opinions are their own. They are not the mouthpieces or the left or right, but they are a political force that those currently in positions of power need to come to grips with, and soon. They are soon-to-be voters, if they aren't already, and they will have a voice in government just like the rest of us.
Old enough to be tried as adults when they commit capital crimes.
None of these same posters defend them as children who didn’t know better then.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,783 times
Considering half of Fox News viewers are senior citizens, I’m not surprised the youth cannot relate to the GOP.

First group is trying to hold onto a mythical 1950’s past, and the other group trying to deal with today’s problems.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
No one desputes their desire to protest. But explain to me how does a group’s of high school students organize and fund a massive protest complete with ready made professionally printed signs and bus service? Why were students who were at the school excluded from all these events merely because they don’t want to ban guns? This was about a special interest group with money using these students and the emotions tied to the shooting to conduct a protest against Trump, NRA, Republican Party, guns, and the Second Amendment.
The same way everyone else does: they formulated a plan, solicited donations, and used media to promote their event. Jesus, you really don't have any faith in those under the age of thirty, do you?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:55 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You think that the young people who marched with MLK no longer believe in his message as older adults?
Changed their minds about the travesty that was the Vietnam Nam war?

My thoughts and feelings about those and many other issues are the same now that I am in my 60s as they were when I was a teenager.

I know that I am not alone.
And I suspect that is the fear driving so many to denigrate and dismiss those kids.
Maybe when you are ready to listen to what people have to say, you'd realize that no one is dismissing those people (they are not kids, by the way) Nobody has said anything bad.

Fear? give me a break! Nobody is afraid of them. Maybe you are afraid of a civilized conversation.

According to this article

Research to investigate how our political views change over time was carried out by Dr James Rockey, a lecturer in political economics at the University of Leicester. Participants were asked to choose whether they saw themselves as leftwing or rightwing. The results were then compared with their responses to more detailed questions about their views, to determine how closely the participants own perception matched their real position on the ideological spectrum.

According to Rockey, well-educated individuals are more likely to wrongly characterise their political position, thinking that they are more leftwing than they actually are.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ange-over-time

Some people's political views change to be more conservative when they age, some people change to be more liberal. Some people just took on their parents' political beliefs. NOT two people are identical and it is all good. Some people don't care about politics and they never change.

Not sure what fear has anything to do with anything. Sheesh

In term of "using", well, it is not a bad word either. Of course politicians would use their supporters to get votes. This is not news. Politicians will always use psychology to manipulate your votes; young people with a strong opinion will use politicians to give them a stage to perform, to push a political agenda. There is nothing wrong with it. This is how it works sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies