Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 07:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

(Great article, if you're willing to read long-form. I guess it's very telling that Trump would hire someone with such a sleazy background.)

The Plot Against America
Decades before he ran the Trump campaign, Paul Manafort’s pursuit of foreign cash and shady deals laid the groundwork for the corruption of Washington
The Atlantic
Franklin Foer

But when he called home in tears or threatened suicide in the spring of 2015, he was pleading for his marriage. The previous November, as the cache of texts shows, his daughters had caught him in an affair with a woman more than 30 years his junior. It was an expensive relationship. According to the text messages, Manafort had rented his mistress a $9,000-a-month apartment in Manhattan and a house in the Hamptons, not far from his own.* He had handed her an American Express card, which she’d used to good effect. “I only go to luxury restaurants,” she once declared on a friend’s fledgling podcast, speaking expansively about her photo posts on social media: caviar, lobster, haute cuisine...

When Paul Manafort officially joined the Trump campaign, on March 28, 2016, he represented a danger not only to himself but to the political organization he would ultimately run. A lifetime of foreign adventures didn’t just contain scandalous stories, it evinced the character of a man who would very likely commandeer the campaign to serve his own interests, with little concern for the collective consequences.

Over the decades, Manafort had cut a trail of foreign money and influence into Washington, then built that trail into a superhighway. When it comes to serving the interests of the world’s autocrats, he’s been a great innovator. His indictment in October after investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller alleges money laundering, false statements, and other acts of personal corruption.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/paul-manafort-american-hustler/550925/

*He's certainly more generous than Trump!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 11:56 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
I wonder if there's a reason that Manafort was, as far as I know, nowhere to be seen in Dubya's
campaigns and administrations.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:57 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Manafort is now petitioning the court to dismiss the tax and fraud charges, claiming Mueller doesn't have jurisdiction here.

Manafort wants charges in Virginia dismissed, calls Mueller probe 'blank check' - ABC News

Not that he's innocent, mind you. Only that it's not fair Mueller would bring these charges.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-28-2018 at 12:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 12:12 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Private persons cannot be corrupt, only public servants can.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
I wonder if there's a reason that Manafort was, as far as I know, nowhere to be seen in Dubya's campaigns and administrations.
I can't tell if you've actually read the article. The article would indicate that he was making big money partnering with dubious Russian activities at the time.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:32 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Manafort is now petitioning the court to dismiss the tax and fraud charges, claiming Mueller doesn't have jurisdiction here.

Manafort wants charges in Virginia dismissed, calls Mueller probe 'blank check' - ABC News

Not that he's innocent, mind you. Only that it's not fair Mueller would bring these charges.
I was listening to a lawyer recently talking about this. Its more about being able to appeal and tie things up then it is about any hope of getting it dropped.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:04 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
I have no doubt Manafort's a scumbag who's made his fortune as a foreign lobbyist, that's self-evident. The problem is that describes half of DC. When Tim Geitner was caught defrauding the IRS, Obama named him Secretary of the Treasury. When John Podesta failed to register under FARA or disclose his active income from Russian business dealing, he was asked to file retroactively & sell his shares in the Russian business. He wasn't brought up on charges. He wasn't even fired. In fact Obama promoted him and then Hillary hired him to chair her campaign. Hillary herself lied about her business dealings with foreign governments and cheated the IRS. She didn't get charged with anything or run into legal trouble. She called it an oversight and everyone moved on. Of the tens of thousands of FARA violations that have been caught, only three were ever prosecuted, one of them being Manafort. What I have a problem with is selective application of the law as a way to attack political opponents & so should anyone who considers themselves a civil libertarian or a liberal.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:29 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I have no doubt Manafort's a scumbag who's made his fortune as a foreign lobbyist, that's self-evident. The problem is that describes half of DC. When Tim Geitner was caught defrauding the IRS, Obama named him Secretary of the Treasury. When John Podesta failed to register under FARA or disclose his active income from Russian business dealing, he was asked to file retroactively & sell his shares in the Russian business. He wasn't brought up on charges. He wasn't even fired. In fact Obama promoted him and then Hillary hired him to chair her campaign. Hillary herself lied about her business dealings with foreign governments and cheated the IRS. She didn't get charged with anything or run into legal trouble. She called it an oversight and everyone moved on. Of the tens of thousands of FARA violations that have been caught, only three were ever prosecuted, one of them being Manafort. What I have a problem with is selective application of the law as a way to attack political opponents & so should anyone who considers themselves a civil libertarian or a liberal.
Theres "oversight" and then theres "I defrauded everyone, lied about everything, and kept lying until finally caught".

Lets start with Geitner. He worked for the IMF, and made mistakes in how he reported his taxes. ALL of these were discovered as part of his vetting proces, and he paid them-BEFORE he was named Secretary of the treasury.

John Podesta...I think he is dirty. His brother is currently under investigation by Mueller....however the stuff you are bringing up...was found to be legal at the time. But honestly I hope Mueller finds something on him and his brother. But he broke no laws back then. And does not appear to have broken any FARA registration requirements....unlike Manafort. You are thinking of his brother I think for the FARA stuff.

The Hillary stuff has been debated over and over. If she did something bad, why hasn't Trump "locked her up"? Yeah. cause its nonsense.

And a LOT more people need to be charged with FARA.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:16 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The Hillary stuff has been debated over and over. If she did something bad, why hasn't Trump "locked her up"? Yeah. cause its nonsense.
That may be part of the reason the investigation continues, to keep everyone busy so there is not much time to focus on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies