Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 08:09 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have some news for all the conservatives who are salivating over her current support of Trump: Roseanne has, in the past, also spoken out in support of Occupy Wall Street, and run for president as a member of the Green Party (she lost the nomination to Jill Stein.)

I'm also not sure how anyone who considers taking a knee during the national anthem could consider her 1990 performance respectful (I remember a lot of outrage at the time), but apparently being pro-Trump is enough to negate all that.

As for the show, I may check it out. I loved the original, but if this new version becomes as predictable as "Last Man Standing," I'll get bored pretty quickly. It takes extremely deft writing to keep a family comedy with that level of political content fresh. "All in the Family" did it wonderfully, but other efforts haven't been so good.
Actually Catgirl, no one is salivating, members are simply responding to the OP. If you want to talk salivating, take a look in the mirror. I'll bet you tuned in every day hoping today would be the day that they got something on Trump... Now that's salivating and wasting your life.

Why is it Democrat go so drama queen over everything. As of Occupy Wall Street, this is common knowledge, I was going to bring it up before but had to go.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
I watched it tonight. It was great. I forgot how funny their dry humor is, especially with Darlene and Roseanne. I think they mostly got the political stuff out of the way now. They’ll have a few jokes here and there, but the first episode was probably the most political they’ll get. I thought they represented both sides pretty well. I don’t see how anyone could get offended.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I watched it tonight. It was great. I forgot how funny their dry humor is, especially with Darlene and Roseanne. I think they mostly got the political stuff out of the way now. They’ll have a few jokes here and there, but the first episode was probably the most political they’ll get. I thought they represented both sides pretty well. I don’t see how anyone could get offended.
That is what I heard, both sides get poked at.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:19 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I doubt the high ratings had anything to do with Trump. People remembered the original show and are hoping for more of the same. The fact they politicized the show will probably turn many people away. The ratings for the next few weeks will tell.
This.

If I was a trumper I wouldn't be jumping up and down just because the Roseanne reboot got high ratings in it's debut. Expect ratings to drop bigly over the next few weeks.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:26 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Honestly I think it’s more nostalgia/curiosity. A lot depends on things like the time slot and date as well.
I am not big on sitcoms but I liked the original version and the reboot is quite entertaining.

It clearly did better in red states. Rosanne had its highest ratings in Tulsa, OK.

‘Roseanne’ Revival’s Huge Debut Stuns Hollywood, Prompts Soul-Searching | Deadline

The only marquee city from a blue state in the Top 10 was Chicago at No. 5 — the area where the series is set.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
OK. I watched it on demand. It's pretty realistic. And funny. I'm glad that she isn't spouting hateful things and that she is OK with her gender fluid grandson.

There is a great ensemble cast - From John Goodman and Sara Gilbert, to the wildly talented Emma Kenney, who also plays Debbie Gallagher on "Shameless". Just a great cast.

I'll watch again.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:02 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Ridicule it all you want, but what else can you call it when the party's entire agenda is devoted purely to corporate interests and flagrantly ignores the will of the people who elected them? The GOP does not serve the people, they serve the wealthy at the direct expense of the people. There's no other way to describe them.

You see rightwingers all the time on this board asserting that left-wingers are the enemy of the American people, right? Why would someone be shocked if a liberal thinks the same of them? We're at war in this country, people. Wake up and pick a side.
Calling poster Gladhands....trauma room #7. *civil war talk going on* lmao.

You didn't explain the constitutional violations though Mr. Jones. I asked you...you flaked.

OK, enough mocking you. I'm 10 years out from voting either party.

LMFAO "serve the wealthy"? Oh, they got their hand way...way...way up your puppet brother.

Both parties are guilty of that.

In fact, my union steel working relatives that voted democrat for their whole lives are now apparently racist deplorables for being desperate enough to vote republican. I never thought I'd see the day.

I have ZERO faith in the promises of either party.

Pick a TOPIC and vote for whichever party delivers on it. Otherwise, you're looking at a lifetime of cognitive dissonance and likely mental illness trying to jive it all together.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:45 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
On a lighter note re this , there is a current slideshow in the rotating section at the top of the MSN homepage.

'31 celebrities you probably forgot guest starred on Roseanne'. Below...some of the examples:

Leonardo Dicaprio was one of Darlene's classmates in a home economics class

Joseph Gordon-Levitt played a new friend of DJ's who liked to ramble

George Clooney was Jackie and Roseanne's original boss, Booker Brooks.

Alyson Hannigan played one of Becky's friends, Jan

Tobey Maguire played a diner patron

Shelley Winters played Roseanne and Jackie's grandma

Joan Collins played Roseanne's cousin Ronnie

Bill Maher did a sexy photoshoot for Roseanne

Ned Beatty played Dan's father

Sharon Stone played a trailer park resident

Ellen Degeneres played a marriage counselor that Jackie and her husband Fred visited

Debbie Reynolds played Dan's mother

Old 03-29-2018, 01:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
I TiVo’d it. Can’t wait to watch it. Barr is an American original.

I don’t give a damn about her politics. That’s none of my business.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
That was never adequately explained, but was the subject of the show's very first gag. Roseann looked over at Dan with his CPAP mask on and said "I thought you were dead." Dan responded "Why does everybody always think I'm dead?"

I saw that. Classic Roseanne. Just like the 2 Beckies thing, a running gag in the old series, continued in the new. I always liked the series, and I give the reboot a thumbs up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies