Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 08:58 AM

29,756 posts, read 11,363,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah They created this buzz about the politics to draw in the numbers. They were successful. I am hoping they can return to the really insightful commentary on life in the USA now.
I could say the same thing about SNL and the late night talk shows.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:00 AM

19,894 posts, read 8,786,829 times
waaah waaah ....30 minutes a week somebody's not bashing Trump

Old 03-29-2018, 09:00 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,708,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
So the real Roseanne changes as she gets older but the character has to be exactly the same because that how you view people in the real world?

The real Roseanne has been friends with Trump for 30 years. Her move to Trump has more to do with being a radical and not just voting for the liberal status quo because everyone else in hollywood is also. I respect that. I would have preferred she voted for Johnson and made that part of the new show.

I think it's important to the show that she be a Trump supporter specifically because it shows that someone can be a Trump supporter and just be a regular person at the same time. There really are a lot of people out there who don't believe that and who believe if you support Trump then you must be a monster of some sort. It's sad that people think that way but it's true.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM

794 posts, read 1,320,252 times
I think part of the high ratings are nostalgia and not political. I remember watching Rosanne as a teenager with my family. If I liked the show then or liked the Rosanne in general I probably would have watched it.

I only saw a story about Rosanne's political leanings and a clip of the new pilot talking politics yesterday, after it had already premiered.

I'm guessing their ratings will be lower next week.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,561,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoDitto21 View Post
Roseanne wasn’t twenty when it last aired, old people usually never change their ideals. Roseanne was a feminist, pro gay rights, inclusion etc. she wouldn’t like trump for the person he is in terms of her old character and wouldn’t make fun of the Woman’s rights movement/Me too. She probably would have related more to Bernie as a candidate
LOL, so your saying Roseanne is an actress? No kidding, think about that, just like all those actors and actresses who play liberals, are they really liberal?

Old 03-29-2018, 09:15 AM

29,756 posts, read 11,363,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
I think part of the high ratings are nostalgia and not political. I remember watching Rosanne as a teenager with my family. If I liked the show then or liked the Rosanne in general I probably would have watched it.

I only saw a story about Rosanne's political leanings and a clip of the new pilot talking politics yesterday, after it had already premiered.

I'm guessing their ratings will be lower next week.
She has been promoting the show for weeks and has not been shy about her politics. Why would you assume that not being a liberal democrat means lower ratings?

I would imagine lots of Trump voters were not aware she voted for him and might now tune in.

Time will tell.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,366,883 times
It's a sitcom folks. Plenty of people tuned in who don't GAF about left vs right.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 AM

51,568 posts, read 25,482,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's a sitcom folks. Plenty of people tuned in who don't GAF about left vs right.
Indeed.

They made a play for Trump supporters to flip the channel from Fox for a half hour. Seems to have worked.

So far, the show supports a cross dressing child, interracial marriage, grown children living at home, acceptance of a relative who was not a Trump supporter, ... even old folks not being able to afford all the medications they need.

So despite Roseanne's sarcastic cracks and political stance, not sure how long they can hang on to team Trump.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:03 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,716,899 times
I think there is a slight link but a good chunk of the audience is the kids of the 80's and early 90's who romanticized the show. The question is the demographics are in line with Trump data. That is what I'm skeptical in when it comes to this ratings breakdown.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,716,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
She has been promoting the show for weeks and has not been shy about her politics. Why would you assume that not being a liberal democrat means lower ratings?

I would imagine lots of Trump voters were not aware she voted for him and might now tune in.

Time will tell.
Because maybe some got the nostalgia bug out. She always annoyed me so I never had it actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies