Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 05:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What did they show to explain why formerly liberal people such as Roseanne were lured to the right?
Job loss seemed to be the biggest issue.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The Conners always had job issues. Could be a lack of skill, training or something right?

Powerful messages if you look -- if you just see the surface stuff.....not a whole lot there.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:52 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Was Darlene's job loss blamed on the Democrats?

Dan still has drywall joint compound on his hands, so presumably he's still working.

Metcalf portrayed liberal Aunt Jackie as looney. Surely, that didn't convince Roseanne to switch from being a Democrat to a Trump Republican.

From what I can tell, the last time we saw Roseanne, she was a Democrat and Dan was dead.

Fast forward, Dan's alive and Roseanne is a Trump Republican.

They did a wink-wink about about Dan's death being something Roseanne wrote in a spiral notebook, but I'm trying to recall any nod to Roseanne's change of heart.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
I don't think the show is making fun of Trump voters.

I actually think its quite adept at showing why formerly liberal people have been lured to the right.
Roseanne -- unedcuated, unskilled lured to the right. Sarah Gilbert says she's the only Trump supporter on the show.

I am not saying Republicans are uneducated or unskilled.....not at all. Some of the smartest people I know are conservatives. But this show demonstrates one person's change......

So Roseanne decided to vote for Trump because he was going to get jobs for her family -- oh look -- her daughter is back home living with her. What does that say?

Reading way too much into all of it really (yes including my little counter point above).

Sarah Gilbert said the show was not going to address specific policy but just how the political divide has impacted a family and how they maneuver through that.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a divided family on politics. We have a large extended family and I would say we are all politically aligned. No division.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:44 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Ugh, she's a pizzagate conspiracist too? JFC. No wonder the trumpees love her.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rosean...gate-look-tame

Old 03-30-2018, 07:45 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Rosanne is Jewish, so I guess it's kind of like when black people call each other the n-word
No, it's not.

We can rib each other about some things, but not the Holocaust. Never the Holocaust.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:52 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Okay, I finally watched this last night, and while it had some good moments, overall it was too heavy-handed with the politics. Someone up thread said it was as if the P&OC board of C-D was personified on the screen, and that's what it felt like. The political bickering was shrill and unfunny. Jackie was one of my favorite characters, but she has been pretty much destroyed in this iteration of the show.

I enjoyed Rosanne in its initial run, but unless they tone it down with the overt politics I won't be tuning back in. It was not funny or enjoyable. Cringe worthy is a word that better fits.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:00 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I think it’s hilarious Trump is trying to take credit for the show’s ratings. My very liberal wife and I loved the show 20 years ago because it was the only one about lower working class people like us. We tuned in with our teen daughter who is obsessed with gay and trans issues and she instantly loved it because of the cross dressing boy. So Roseanne supports Trump? So what. She’s a caring, decent person (the character, not necessarily the actual person). This is a great reboot, and I think it’s going to be a huge hit once again. Who would have thought a show can still be relevant 20 years later with out changing a thing?

Old 03-30-2018, 08:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think it’s hilarious Trump is trying to take credit for the show’s ratings. My very liberal wife and I loved the show 20 years ago because it was the only one about lower working class people like us. We tuned in with our teen daughter who is obsessed with gay and trans issues and she instantly loved it because of the cross dressing boy. So Roseanne supports Trump? So what. She’s a caring, decent person (the character, not necessarily the actual person). This is a great reboot, and I think it’s going to be a huge hit once again. Who would have thought a show can still be relevant 20 years later with out changing a thing?
If only Carroll O'Connor were still alive. You can watch early seasons of All in the Family (45+ years ago), and some of the arguments could be happening today. Even back then, Archie was advocating that arming people would make us safer (although back then, it was known that it is a joke), back then they were arguing about welfare, race, religion, stereotyping and labelling, war, and everything else. Agree or disagree with what was being said, it was one of the most relevant shows ever, then and now.

I already commented earlier that I enjoyed the Rosanne Reboot. Again, I didn't agree with every point of view, but it was all relevant and reflective of the national discussion today, and I was in no way offended. I thought the acting was a bit "off", but I can overlook that, the writing was pretty good for a primetime sitcom.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:09 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
No, it's not.

We can rib each other about some things, but not the Holocaust. Never the Holocaust.
Nope. Never.

Jew cookies in the oven?

I cringe just writing the words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies