Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 04:27 PM

2,586 posts, read 1,326,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah , I’m sure you were really offended when that happened .. back in 1990 .. and now still offended nearly 30 years later .. lol ..
Ahhh "offended"...the right's favorite buzzword. Some if us have standards that cause us to find such behavior objectionable. The term offended us as many on the right tend to us it just makes it look like many people can't understand such objections in any other than a superficial sense. It also seems to be a common deflection to demean those who are complaining about or objecting to legitimate acts of bigotry.
Yes, many of us do remember that. And it was very crass and disrespectful. I also believe she did it in San Diego...a big Navy town.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:28 PM

5,068 posts, read 1,998,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So Jimmy Kimmel is able to spew out extreme Trump hate every night, and that's OK to ABC. Yeah because of Iger. The extreme far left CEO of Disney.
Your double-standards at work. I guess the day they'll retire The View is still far ahead of us as one Twitter poster mentionned.
https://twitter.com/MicMc50/status/1001534118121926656

Old 05-29-2018, 04:29 PM

7,809 posts, read 4,516,786 times
Quote:
So Jimmy Kimmel is able to spew out extreme Trump hate every night, and that's OK to ABC. Yeah because of Iger. The extreme far left CEO of Disney.
You'd have a point if Kimmel was spewing racism.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Do you think that people really change from sexist/racist to not?
I think it's highly unlikely, and would likely require a major life event to take place.

I know people who are racist, who altered their views for specific individuals (in-laws), and genuinely made attempts to change, but that didn't change how they ultimately feel.

I liked the show, was looking forward to another season, but she blew it.
I think Disney is setting a good example by cancelling the #1 show on television because its star made a racist comment.

It reminds the people that the fight against racism and bigotry isn't going away, it's actually getting stronger as the bigots try to rise out of their basements.
Since you are left. Do racist sexist change? Just give me a simple yes/no

Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 PM

1,239 posts, read 504,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Since you are left. Do racist sexist change? Just give me a simple yes/no
Most people, no.
Definitely not a high enough percentage to start giving racists the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
No one will miss the fake news
WHat Fake News?
ABC is owned by Disney.

Do you think those movies about Stormtroopers and The Hulk were News programs?

No wonder Conservatives fall for Fox News, they think we're getting our news from Peter Parker at the Daily Bugle.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:32 PM

2,586 posts, read 1,326,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
She cleaned up her Twitter feed before they started up this reboot of her show. She has been ramping up to this, and I guess they'd had enough.
It would be interesting to know if a studio PR person also had a hand in her cleaning up her Twitter feed

Old 05-29-2018, 04:33 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Sorry you had to go through that,the thing is I am sure you weren't alone I felt the same way but I played football and while others consider me a "jock" ...I never did.I felt like you did.
I might have not been alone in being bullied. However, whomever got bullied, I'm sure very few of those kids were telling me of their problems and what they dealt with. I never played football in high school. I did cross country and track. I never was a "jock" in high school.

My point is this. When I think about some of Roseanne's fan base, part of me thinks about my middle school and high school years. I went to middle school with a girl who looked similar to Darlene. She had a personality similar to Darlene and quite mean to me. I think about the behaviors among some within the Roseanne and Trump fan base. It bears resemblance to stuff I saw from kids in middle school and high school.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:34 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
While we are on the topic of Trump and racist remarks:

Trump criticized a black accountant: “Black guys counting my money! I hate it. … I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks.”

Trump described Mexican immigrants as criminals and “rapists.”

Trump called for “a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,”

Trump vulgarly called for less immigration from Haiti and Africa (calling them s___ hole countries) and more from Norway.

He spent years suggesting that the nation’s first black president was born not in the United States but in Kenya and has never admitted otherwise.

He lied about President Obama “issued a statement for Kwanzaa but failed to issue one for Christmas.”

He stated “Our inner cities, African Americans, Hispanics are living in hell because it’s so dangerous. You walk down the street, you get shot.”

He called Puerto Ricans “politically motivated ingrates.”

He called those who were marching with white supremacists in Charlottesville, Va. “very fine people.”

Trump endorsed Roy Moore who spoke positively about slavery and called for an African-American Muslim member of Congress not to be seated.

Trump pardoned –and praised Joe Arpaio, the Arizona sheriff who profiled Latinos and kept immigrants in brutal prison conditions.

Trump mocked Senator Elizabeth Warren as “Pocahontas.”

Trump has tweeted a six-pointed star alongside a pile of cash

While being briefed by a Korean-American intelligence analyst on Pakistan, Trump wondered aloud why she was not working on North Korea policy.

He referred to a Hispanic Miss Universe as “Miss Housekeeping.”

If ABC can cancel Rosanne for one tweet, this should be enough to cancel Trump.
I would love to see Trump gone from office. I don't like him or Roseanne. In fact, some of the things he has said, not to mention his demeanor, those are many of the reasons I didn't vote for him. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with him until at least 2021.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:35 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,558,349 times
Quote:
Presidents have always been targets of late night talk show hosts so Trump isn't the first to get roasted on a daily basis.
Political fodder has always been part of that scenario.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Do you think that people really change from sexist/racist to not?
I think it's highly unlikely, and would likely require a major life event to take place.

I know people who are racist, who altered their views for specific individuals (in-laws), and genuinely made attempts to change, but that didn't change how they ultimately feel.

I liked the show, was looking forward to another season, but she blew it.
I think Disney is setting a good example by cancelling the #1 show on television because its star made a racist comment.

It reminds the people that the fight against racism and bigotry isn't going away, it's actually getting stronger as the bigots try to rise out of their basements.
How can we fight racism, bigotry while income inequality still exist and people are not fighting for that? I don't think you see the big picture in the grand scheme of things. Yes racism is bad. We have to find a way as a people to work together. Racism is never going to go away. I too wish racism goes away.

But back to the topic. People do change, and people don't change in a major life changing way, it can even be small things in life that makes people Change. But as we get older, some people can grow outwards while some grow inwards. I prefer to grow outwards. Not for nothing. You seem to be stuck in a bubble with your beliefs on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies