U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 AM

78,203 posts, read 33,331,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I watched part of the Steve Martin / Martin Short special. Reminded me of a Jerry Lewis / Dean Martin sort of humor. They went after each other like a comedy roast but pretty bland overall. Not a fan of Martin Short. I think he lacks talent but has been fortunate to be surrounded by very funny and talented people. Sort of like Rob Schneider.

Certain comedians get away with more than others. Lisa Lampanelli and Anthony Jeselik come to mind as ones that push the envelope and get away with it. If we get to the point where anything a comedian says that is a little controversial makes it impossible for them to work, well comedy will be dead. I think stand up comedians should have some leeway as long as they don't start screaming the N word at a heckler like Michael Richards did.
What Richards did was out of getting upset. No, that is not the same thing. If it had been a part of the act to create conversation, that would be one thing. It was not. Maybe that helps explain my position better. If Roseanne (who I've never found all that funny but that's irrelevant) isn't doing this as part of an act then she then only does have herself to blame.

I don't believe you can blame drugs.

Quote:
Clearly Roseanne crossed a line that has been there for a long time and of the worst racist things a white person can say about a black person essentially saying they are not humans. Sports announcers have been fired for decades similarly racist things or even less racist things.

It seems some Trump people have this weird defense of her that they think ABC wanted to cancel her show anyways so this outcome was inevitable. And totally glossing over what she said.
I do not believe networks have morals and would have rode the ratings for as long as they could. Even if she has a bigger point (which again, I hope is the case but maybe not) I do not blame the network for not wanting to be a part of it.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 AM

9,229 posts, read 4,282,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Roseanne will probably get a gig on right wing hate radio and do some appearances on Fox News. That seems to be the career path for right wing comedians that are past their prime like Dennis Miller.
Where has Dennis Miller been? Haven't seen him since his pal "Billy" O'Reilly got canned.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 1,749,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
And so I clearly remember when the AP ran a political add depicting Condi Rice as an ape. Newspapers throughout the country threw out a few apologies and within a day or so it was never heard of again. Go figure...

The corporation that employed Roseanne has the sole discretion of deciding if what she said was worthy of being fired for. I am sure there is something in the contract she signed saying so. Just because someone else got away with something in some other context is meaningless.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:33 AM

898 posts, read 474,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Hmm. I'm being serious. It sounds like she needs help with her mental state.
Saying she's leaving twitter then not actually leaving twitter, retweeting people who defended her, then tweeting people not to defend her.
She sounds like an apologetic version of Trump.
Her mind is all over the place.

Maybe there should be a medical term for people who lose their mind on twitter. Seriously I do think too much social media can have a detrimental effect of the mental health of some people.
She’s been like this since I first became aware of her in the early 90s....I think. She’s had plenty of time to get therapy. Her narcissism is not caused by her use of social media. She’s a vile woman. Always has been. She will never change. I don’t think she can.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 AM

66,245 posts, read 33,633,272 times
I missed when they found the missing link.
Or, does that only apply to black people?
We are all Gorilla's in the Mist.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 1,749,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What Richards did was out of getting upset. No, that is not the same thing. If it had been a part of the act to create conversation, that would be one thing. It was not. Maybe that helps explain my position better. If Roseanne (who I've never found all that funny but that's irrelevant) isn't doing this as part of an act then she then only does have herself to blame.

Good point. Howard Stern still says the N word for time to time on his radio show. But its in the context of repeating what a rapper or comedian has said not in anger. So he gets a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do not believe networks have morals and would have rode the ratings for as long as they could. Even if she has a bigger point (which again, I hope is the case but maybe not) I do not blame the network for not wanting to be a part of it.

ABC would have been hurt as a brand if they stuck by her. They had no reason to do that.

Clearly this would have been a firestorm. And her being sympathetic to Trump would have added fuel to the fire but even if she was a trump hater she would have been fired. Like I said before lots of sportscasters have been fired for saying similar things and their ideology had nothing to do with it. Sure a black celebrity has more slack in saying things about white people but its not just the words but the damage they inflict that has to be taken into account. I am a white guy but there are lots of white people that don't get that concept.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:44 AM

26,278 posts, read 18,925,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
And so I clearly remember when the AP ran a political add depicting Condi Rice as an ape. Newspapers throughout the country threw out a few apologies and within a day or so it was never heard of again. Go figure...
that doesn't sound right. you may be thinking of this cartoon instead.

or this one

Old 05-30-2018, 07:49 AM
AFP

6,895 posts, read 4,204,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
no kidding! actually saw one on here defend her ape comment because "planet of the apes was a movie"
Those trying to normalize her ape comments and don't see anything wrong with racism directed toward black people. Their mindset is pretty much no big deal **** gets said about whites. That's pretty much how they see it. It's not about me so I don't give a ****. Yeah some real tools commenting on here.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:51 AM

501 posts, read 349,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that doesn't sound right. you may be thinking of this cartoon instead.
or this one
No that's not the one. Google probably had it deleted from their entire search directory

Old 05-30-2018, 07:57 AM

15,839 posts, read 10,006,492 times
I you love Roseanne then push Fox to pick her up, see if they backup their own host's rants about the lib media doing her in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or