U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 10:18 AM

15,367 posts, read 5,688,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Roseanne said herself that what she did was indefensible and did not want people to defend her.

And yet a lot of people, mostly Trump supporters, have been defending, deflecting, or whining "but but what about Olbermann" to defend her over the last 24 hours. "Sad."
It's no surprise, as she says what many are thinking. And we've heard similar, and worse things from conservatives right here on C-D. Why anyone is surprised that they are defending her racial hatred is what is surprising.

I'm not in the least surprised the hate is defended by the usual suspects here. It's par for the course.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:18 AM

20,315 posts, read 9,835,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
And so I clearly remember when the AP ran a political add depicting Condi Rice as an ape. Newspapers throughout the country threw out a few apologies and within a day or so it was never heard of again. Go figure...
can't find anything to support this claim.

link???

Old 05-30-2018, 10:19 AM

29,297 posts, read 39,643,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Trump ,"the orange one" has been compared to an Orangutan by Jimmy Kimmel and Bill Marr

. “That’s really what orangutans do. They groom each other,” Kimmel joked on Tuesday night"

-Jimmy Kimmel.

George W. Bush or Chimpanzee?

Bush as chimp.

Other examples here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dltK5r4GBec
I guess humans just don't get all that worked up when orangutans are insulted.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:21 AM

6,964 posts, read 2,485,899 times
Roseanne tries to blame her offensive tweets on a reaction to Ambien.

Ambien manufacturer retorts that racism isn’t one of the drug’s known side effects,

LOL

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewi...ct-of-our-meds

Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 AM

14,589 posts, read 8,413,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife had a great idea to save the show and to prevent the hundreds of people that were involved with the show from losing their jobs AND make an appeasement to the Lefty Social Justice Warriors.

Roseanne is replaced with Rosie O'donnell ! Just trade one overweight loudmouth obnoxious woman for another.
It's a good thing your wife isn't Roseanne's boss then

Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 AM

37,945 posts, read 14,793,071 times
Hard to believe that Roseanne got another chance at the big time and blew it.

Up until her agents dropped her, I thought it might blow over.

But regardless of all the whatabouts and Ambian excuses, I think she's toast.

Agents don't generally drop a performer if there's still money to be made.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:24 AM

37,945 posts, read 14,793,071 times
Pretty sure she won't be getting a Netflix special.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:24 AM

17,751 posts, read 15,607,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Roseanne said herself that what she did was indefensible and did not want people to defend her.

And yet a lot of people, mostly Trump supporters, have been defending, deflecting, or whining "but but what about Olbermann" to defend her over the last 24 hours. "Sad."
What she said is kind of stupid. Comparing people to animals is just bad comedy. The problem is that drawing attention to is as if it were the worst thing in the world is not going to help anything. Is suppressing it going to make "muh racism" disappear? If you want to have a behavior go away, you ignore it. If you react to it then it gives it power and makes you look weak. The fact is other people have been compared to not just monkeys but pigs.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Trump ,"the orange one" has been compared to an Orangutan by Jimmy Kimmel and Bill Marr

. “That’s really what orangutans do. They groom each other,” Kimmel joked on Tuesday night"

-Jimmy Kimmel.

George W. Bush or Chimpanzee?

Bush as chimp.

Other examples here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dltK5r4GBec
And you still don't see the difference?

WHY was Jarrett compared to an ape? Let's even put the Muslim reference aside.

Historically, blacks have been compared to apes for a long time based on their skin tone and to also state that they were not evolved.

Bush and the Chimp reference had much to do with Bush's facial expressions during press moments or when he was pondering something. The raise of his eyebrows, the turn of his mouth. Granted, I think comparing any human to a goofy animal is never meant to be complimentary. In Bush's case it was to poke fun at him as much as those cartoons of Obama's big stick-out ears were. Not racist. According to NPR, in the U.S., there's not a history of white Protestants like Bush being portrayed as simians by anyone in a more privileged and powerful social and economic position.

Bill Maher in making fun of Trump's bizarre colored/shaped hair and orange-toned skin due to tanning beds/spray said his father must be an orangutan to get that sort of coloring. Degrading yes. Racist, nope. There's another picture shown, I think on Bill Maher, of Trump being compared to a pony with a tricked out mane.

This isn't about comparing people to animals, it's about the meaning behind the comparison. They are all meant to be uncomplimentary, but which one is racist?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:28 AM

7,089 posts, read 3,436,914 times
Default trump Just Tweeted About Roseanne's Firing

BOO HOO cries the big baby. ABC never called me to apologize!!!
Can't make this stuff up, folks.

@realDonaldTrump

Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or