U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 AM

15,366 posts, read 5,729,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
I dont thihk its a good idea for her to mix politics with her show.... She will lose more than she realises! (Alot of ppl do not like mr trump and will take it out on her)
I agree that they need to tone down the politics. The scenes between Rosanne and Jackie were cringe worthy. I won't be tuning in much longer if that becomes a running theme of the show. If I want nonstop partisan bickering I can come to C-D to get my fill.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:09 PM

38,316 posts, read 14,982,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I didn't, and won't watch, because I don't watch comedies any more but, from what I've read, it sounds like it ticks all of the PC boxes - random black kid, single mother, gender-fluid grand-kid, the aforementioned lack of healthcare...
All that's missing is Mrs. Roy Moore's "Jew lawyer."

Old 03-30-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I agree that they need to tone down the politics. The scenes between Rosanne and Jackie were cringe worthy. I won't be tuning in much longer if that becomes a running theme of the show. If I want nonstop partisan bickering I can come to C-D to get my fill.
Metcalf is a good actress. Love her as Sheldon's Texas Mama on the Big Bang Theory.

Loved the scene about how she got so confused she voted for Jill Stein. Too funny.

I think once she settles into the role, these political scenes with Roseanne will be some of the best in the show.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM

1,541 posts, read 714,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Metcalf is a good actress. Love her as Sheldon's Texas Mama on the Big Bang Theory.

Loved the scene about how she got so confused she voted for Jill Stein. Too funny.

I think once she settles into the role, these political scenes with Roseanne will be some of the best in the show.
I think most folks didn't get the inside joke. In 2012 Roseanne ran for president and got some write in votes...she was edged out by...you guessed it, Jill Stein!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:51 PM

1,541 posts, read 714,024 times
Renewed for Season 11

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...at-abc-1098058

Old 03-30-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
I think most folks didn't get the inside joke. In 2012 Roseanne ran for president and got some write in votes...she was edged out by...you guessed it, Jill Stein!
I too loved the Jill Stein reference.

Lot of inside jokes to hook their audience with a wink wink.

Becky and surrogate mom saying they look a lot alike, Dan telling Roseanne she killed off he most likable character in her memoir, Roseanne waking up Dan because she thought he was dead, ...

What else did you notice?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-30-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 01:04 PM

5,430 posts, read 2,749,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The people in PA (except Phili) are centrist Democrats as long as I can remember but the census was they were fed up with the current Democrats including Obama and there was no way in hell they wanted Obama 2.0. Lamb who won by a hair but won because he was a centrist Democrat. Of course Nancy Pelosi warned other Democrats not to take lessons from Lamb. In the end, will Democrats continue toward progressivism or will they move more central.
I favor more centrist Democrats as well. Hell, I'd even vote for a centrist Republican if they were truly centrist and not hell bent on destroying things that a lot of people support like Medicare and Social Security. I also do not support the deregulation of Wall Street.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:28 PM

6,553 posts, read 3,287,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am not going to comment on the content/return of the Roseanne show, episode 1, because I haven't seen it yet. If you have, and want to talk about the episode's content, please use the Hide/Show. I'll watch it tonight On Demand. But, the premiere, 21 years after the original show ended, had YUGE ratings last night.

"The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49. According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBSí The Big Bang Theory from 2014). In the adult demo, it also trumps Sundayís blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels."

Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings | EW.com

The Conners are a working class family of deplorable Trump supporters. That makes them (the fictional Conner family) unique on TV these days. (Roseanne, the actress and a producer, is also a Trump supporter.)

Are you surprised?

What's your take on this? Feel free to comment on any aspect of why you think the show had jaw dropping ratings success? Do you think it is only curiosity about the first episode of a returning show or is the show filling a void for a large group of people (Trump supporters - blue collar midwest family) who are underrepresented on TV? I don't recall what kind of ratings Will and Grace got when they returned to TV. Are we going to see more TV shows like this or don't they (Hollywood) have writers who can write it?

You also might want to read about what the liberal producers who are not Roseanne had to say?

Why Roseanne is not a liberal mouthpiece and Mark's tricky story line | EW.com

I'm putting it here instead of the television sub-forum because I only want to talk about the political connection to Trump supporters not the acting or the episode 1 story.

Pro-Trump 'Roseanne' Reboot Thanks God for Making America Great Again
Trump supporters seem pretty enthralled with Roseanne, which does beg the question: do they care what celebrities think or not? They tend to say they don't but, "inexplicably," when one agrees with them (or they perceive that they agree with them) they praise them. Roseanne's just on example. Sean Hannity has lashed out at celebrities as well, but he's also had Chuck Norris on his show as a guest. Not to mention, Trump is also a celebrity.

I frankly don't care what Roseanne things anymore than anyone else. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not sure if she's really a deep Trump supporter or just someone who felt we needed change. If it is indeed the later, I'll just do my usual eye roll and move on. I agree; we need a change, but not just any change. There's a right and wrong way to do it and a guy who once sold steaks in the mail is not the solution. But, despite my general assumption that supporter of Trump aren't all the concerned with the big picture, I understand they have problems just like the rest of us so it does not bother me in the slightest that a show is depicting them in a sympathetic light.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:51 PM

12,141 posts, read 6,714,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Rosanne has always leaned more left than right. That's why it's so funny to see the right get all excited about this show all of a sudden.

We had Rosanne agreeing with Jackie that Becky has the absolute right to do whatever she wanted to with her own body, even if they don't approve, and that is definitely not a right wing point of view. We have the family taking an attitude of tolerance and understanding of their gender fluid grandson even when he wears a skirt to school, and that is definitely not a right wing point of view. There have been several prominent gay characters on the show in the past who have been wholly accepted for who they are without judgment, and that is definitely not a right wing point of view.

So even though Rosanne voted for Trump, the show still leans more to the left than to the right. For that reason, I think the cult is going to be disappointed if they continue to watch as the show progresses. Too many trigger points for them.
Nah, the right wing isn't necessarily intolerant, they just do not want the government to force them, or anyone, to be. Do you assume any conservative family with a gay child or grandchild doesn't accept them?

Old 03-30-2018, 02:02 PM

5,430 posts, read 2,749,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Nah, the right wing isn't necessarily intolerant, they just do not want the government to force them, or anyone, to be. Do you assume any conservative family with a gay child or grandchild doesn't accept them?
Gays and other people who are not "the norm" deserve to be treated with dignity and respect just like anybody else. If you choose to ostracize them then yes the government has the right to step in and force you to treat them like you would anybody else. It's called equal protection.

No one is forcing you change your personal opinion of gays, transgenders, etc. but if you run a business that serves the public then you need to treat everyone with the same respect. The Supreme Court is very clear on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or