Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 05:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,206,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes your one experience doesn't void out the other poster's experience.

My son is good friends with a young man who is graduating this year form college. The parents REFUSE to accept the fact he's gay because of their deep seated religious. His own parents. Sure sure they love him but they don't accept his lifestyle.

It must be so hard on the kid.

Does that mean every conservative isn't accepting -- nope not at all......but it does happen.
My good friend was threatened with kidnapping and conversion therapy when he came out to his parents who were 7th Day Adventists. My friend ran away that night and never looked back.

Yes, these types of people really do exist.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:06 AM

2,257 posts, read 2,376,339 times
If you follow ratings, you’d know this happens ALL the time, people are curious so the first episode gets large ratings and then by episode 2, 3 and 4 there’s a huge decrease in viewers, literally happens all the time in television.

Trump, as usual, is not only making it all about him but misunderstanding ratings and TV.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,885,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You keep yammering about "the cult". What "cult" are you talking about? Or do you still think that if someone votes for a particular candidate, it makes that person a member of a cult? If so, then own up to the fact that you are a member of the Obama/Hillary cult. Otherwise, enough already.

I guess there were some "trigger points" for you in the show. What, exactly, got you so upset? That Roseanne's character didn't vote the same way you did? If so, I have a solution for you. Don't watch the show again if it upsets you so much. No one is forcing you to watch, are they?
There are some folks who are cult like in anything Trump does. They will excuse, rationalize, sping anything to defend their leader.

Maybe not you -- but lots of other folks. And like many on the LEFT and RIGHT, sweeping generalizations of folks means that a few not fitting the stereotypes get swept up.

You shouldn't let it trigger you -- it happens......

Old 04-01-2018, 06:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,885,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup.
Reviving a show with all the same cast 20 years later is a novel concept, so it was no surprise the first episode drew big ratings.

But does the cast have the same chemistry after such a long time? That's the question, and only time will tell. Of them all, Roseanne is the only actor who hasn't had a pretty good career over that 2-decade span, and she's the big question mark to me.

Barr pretty much went into retirement after the first show ended, and she's been away from the business for a long time.

I honestly don't think Trump had all that much to do with the curiosity. I think the novelty made it far more anticipated than whatever politics was going to be in the first show.

I took it for granted that Trump would be mentioned, but he wasn't, and from what I read today, the writers have no plans to include his name into the upcoming scripts.
Will & Grace had some success with coming back to life after so many years but not the same as this.

I didn't think Roseanne would draw that many people.

Couple of things -- nothing else was on that night and they did 'tease' the political tension aspect with all the talk of Roseanne is a Trump voter. It isn't suppose to be the driving force of the show but it was hyped...it just was...as was the show itself. They made an appearance on every talk show known to man kind, did those stand up promotions of local stations, they were everywhere.

But yeah I think they hyped the political tension a bit and I didn't think that was the funniest part at all. The jokes were predictable and nothing hilarious.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,206,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Yes, you hear those stories on the news, and yes, they are typically from a conservative family; however, that does not necessarily mean the majority of conservatives who have a gay family member are doing that. The news only shares stories of the extreme. Just because the news is showing it, does not make it the norm.
My ideas of what happens to gay people come from people themselves. I didn't know the news covered family drama

Old 04-01-2018, 06:45 AM

51,592 posts, read 25,602,823 times
So conservatives are fine with gay people in their own family, but think we should ostracize the gay family members of the rest of us?

Is that how it goes?

Old 04-01-2018, 06:51 AM

19,964 posts, read 8,868,980 times
As a liberal, I keep West Wing episodes on a continuous loop on all my TV's.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:32 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,320,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Actually I did watch it and the irony... is that the second episode is all about Darlene's boy who likes to dress as a girl. It couldn't have been more heart warming or family values or inclusive without clubbing you over the head with a "message".
From the old show, I remember there was a scene (taking place 15 years in the future) where Jackie and Fred's teenaged son, Andy, was dressed like a cheerleader and looking for his pom poms (found them next to his purse). This would have been long, long before transgender was an issue...I never knew what was up with that.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,911,935 times
Good lord people, IT'S A FREAKING TV SHOW. I and others find it funny, if you do not then turn the damn channel. If it's not popular it will suck in the ratings and go away simple as that.

What's next, a call to harass all of the advertisers to remove it? <shakes head>

Old 04-01-2018, 07:53 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,320,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My good friend was threatened with kidnapping and conversion therapy when he came out to his parents who were 7th Day Adventists. My friend ran away that night and never looked back.

Yes, these types of people really do exist.
Homosexuality is a BIG conflict in the more conservative SDA congregations. My niece on DH's side (an ex-SDA who was indoctrinated at birth and baptized at 11) left the church years ago, then came out as well...no big deal because most of the family is now ex-SDA as well. We all accept it, and are happy for her. The few (about 3) family members who are still "in" the SDA church (one's a minister) don't speak of or acknowledge it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies