U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 08:03 PM

28,206 posts, read 20,762,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nailed it.

First two episodes were funny and clever. Stiff, but that would likely work out over time.

So watched the third one and wondered what the hell happened.

Where was the humor? What was funny about Roseanne shoving her granddaughter's head under the kitchen faucet?

I hope they get back on track. This group of actors has potential to help us put some hatefulness to rest. Humor has a way of doing that.
Yes!! I couldn't agree more!!

Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 2,090,186 times
Quote:
For those who missed last night's episode:

Darlene's daughter is hogging the washer/dryer as she cleans up clothes she's selling on Etsy to earn money to go back to Chicago. Turns out she's laundering stolen clothes she gets from someone at school.

Dan gets a stair lift from a nearby home after the owner dies. Jokes about stealing it.

Roseanne shoves Darlene's daughter's head down into the kitchen sink, throws a leg over her back, and sprays her head with water.

Roseanne gets into the shower with this teenage daughter because she's been in there too long.

One-liners were lame. Roseanne refers to Etsy as Betsy. Not much in the way of humor.

The whole show was sort of disturbing.
I didn't care for it either. Not funny...same cast and set cannot make up for a lack of comedic elements.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I'd love to know what he found funny about it. What did I miss?

I enjoy a good laugh. I think Wanda Sykes is hysterical at times. Roseanne made me laugh back in the day.

But for the life of me, I didn't find anything funny about this episode.
I know, and as you said before, it seemed that Wanda may not have contributed that week.

Yes, I miss how loose and funny the jokes and characterizations were in the old show, now it appears limited, forced or unnatural. We are seeing the same setting and actors, but the characters do not appear the same as they once were and with the new characters, it's not quite cutting it, so far.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:39 PM

14,212 posts, read 6,121,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I agree. It was boring and I lost interest half way through. I used to be a fan of the show but I doubt I'll go out of my way to tune in next week. Besides, Dan, Rosanne and Darlene I'm not warming up to the other characters. And I wonder if they keep with political themes if it isn't straying too far away from what made the original series so popular. If done right, political themes could be another Archie Bunker or Last Man Standing---both of which I loved---but so far I'm not seeing that happening. In 'Bunker' and 'Last Man' the counterpoint to the main character were not silly caricatures like over-acting Jackie is portrayed. Right and left where balanced.
Aw, I always give a new show at least four episodes to find their mojo. It takes a little while to click and grow into the characters. Iím not giving up on it because the third episode wasnít as good as the first two. They have a lot of potential.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Just to say, since it was mentioned that Estelle Parson's character would be back and living in the Conner household, besides Darlene and two kids, where she would be staying in the house? Besides the "Master bedroom", there had been two bedrooms upstairs and the unfinished basement. No biggie, but am curious.. (it's just a TV family and a fake house).

Hopefully, Estelle and others will be boosting things (though it is about the writing, too).

Last edited by In2itive_1; 04-05-2018 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 07:37 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,557,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
queue*
Obviously panties in a twist so one must resort to nit-picking...

Old 04-07-2018, 07:41 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,557,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Perfect example of someone not reading or comprehending the words others are saying.

I'm sorry this is a struggle for you.
No struggle, easy to see the lib club queuing up to start the counter post parade, must be posting payday time...

Old 04-07-2018, 07:51 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,678,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Because she left clothes in the washer/dryer.

The grandparents are disgusted with the way the granddaughter talks -- and yet they talk the exact same way to her and themselves.

The show this week was ridiculous.
It was because the teen called her grandmother a "stupid hillbilly" after acting like a brat for days. I'm a fairly progressive parent, but you know what? If my teen said that to me because I asked them to get their clothes out of the dryer, they'd be in for a world of hurt. They'd basically be down to a spartan existence and they would no longer have use of the dryer at all. I think she got off easy with a harmless soaking in the sink.

Also, I loved the part when Roseanne stepped into the shower with that brat. Staying at someone else's house and telling them that you "deserve" to hog the shower because you overworked yourself by rinsing off your dish and switching the laundry? GTFO. Literally.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:33 AM

7,089 posts, read 4,105,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I didn't care for it either. Not funny...same cast and set cannot make up for a lack of comedic elements.
I thought it was more similar to the show in its original form than the first two. Conflict was always part of the show and it was about familial problems.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 AM

7,009 posts, read 4,008,035 times
I know a lot of Liberal people that like Roseanne or even Clint Eastwood. I know a lot of Conservative people who like Meryl Streep. I can watch and enjoy someone regardless of their political views. I would think that most people do. I can respect them for being a good actress or comedian, without having to adhere to every little belief of theirs. I like Tom Cruise, but do not believe in Scientology....

Roseanne use to be one of my favorite tv shows, the first few years that it was on at any rate....to me,
in the latter years, it just wasn't funny any more.

I saw a clip of the new Roseanne show on TV the other day, where Jackie her sister is Liberal and Roseanne was arguing the conservative cause with her....that might be funny, it could even be therapeutic to our nation, because in my opinion we are letting politics divide us way too much....We need to relearn how to have a civil discourse with one and another, and agree to disagree with each other from time to time, yet while still respecting one another....so I will probably check it out.

The only person that I just would not watch because of her Political views was Jane Fonda...after Vietnam - and it wasn't because of her anti-war sentiment, it was because I found it horrific that she
would pose on a weapon, that was used to kill American Soldiers....that to me, was intolerable.
But I don't find it intolerable at all that someone uses the right to free speech to voice their opinion,
even if it is different than my own. That is the American way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or