U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 03:04 PM

15,366 posts, read 5,710,302 times

Advertisements

It's too bad she caused her show to be cancelled. I liked the original (except for the last few seasons) and I also liked the reboot.

But she has shown herself to be as lacking in class as her hero in the White House, so good riddance.

One down...

Old 05-29-2018, 03:05 PM

1,815 posts, read 715,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
There are other cast members who are decidedly on the other side of the political fence than she is. Wanda Sykes had already quit due to her Tweet. I can't imagine all of the other cast members were going to stay on given what she said. We can all pretend that what she said was just stupid. But it was racist, and if you will not see that, your opinion is flawed.
I know people who could witness a lynching and would argue until they were blue in the face that they hadn't just witnessed a racist act. Probably with the phrase "liberal snowflakes" being bandied about frequently.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:07 PM

1,522 posts, read 708,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
They own Disney so they will never go bankrupt !
uhh...Disney owns ABC

9,522 posts, read 9,405,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Wasn't this a 2nd chance of a sort? I remember her star falling spectacularly fast around the time she & her ex "sang" the National Anthem for some sporting event...
Actually, her original series continued until 1997, and had strong ratings for several years after the National Anthem stunt.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseanne#Ratings

22,889 posts, read 16,262,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There is no defending such a disgusting comment, but I'm sick of the double standard and merciless PC left. If you make one mistake, say ONE wrong thing, it's over. No amount of apologizing, making amends will make a difference. If you make one screw up, you deserve to have your life ruined forever. Roseanne is finished. We will probably never see her again on tv.

OTOH, when a liberal says something adhorant, they rarely have to pay such severe consequences like the professor who called Barbara Bush a racist and was not fired.
Roseanne has a history of poor behavior. For all we know, there may have been something in her contract with ABC that detailed immediate consequences for such behavior.

The consequences she suffered are between her and her employer.
She chose to make the joke, she has to live with the consequences. She is an adult.
Or should she be treated like a two-year old who touches the stove for the first time?

As for this professor, also between this person and their employer. Take it up with them.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:08 PM

15,394 posts, read 5,209,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What in the hell?

Nobody made her tweet that hateful, racist crap. That was totally on her.
........anyone wanna bet trump tweets about this ...........and soon?

Old 05-29-2018, 03:09 PM

4,810 posts, read 2,568,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
They own Disney so they will never go bankrupt !
Market Summary > Walt Disney Co
NYSE: DIS
99.69 USD −2.51 (2.46%)
Closed: May 29, 4:42 PM EDT · Disclaimer
After hours 99.69 0.00 (0.00%)

Prev close 102.20
52-wk high 113.19
52-wk low 96.20

Dow Jones today as a whole: -1.58%

Yeah... worry not about the Mouse.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:09 PM

48,046 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
She's an abhorrent person and has never tried to appear as anything other. Like Trump, she recognized that there's a sizable chunk of deplorable people out there, who like to see one of their own kind being successful. From her pre-show business days doing repugnant things for money, to her crotch-grabbing and insulting singing of the National Anthem, she has delighted the low-life segment of our population.

Now that she had once again become the darling of The Trump-supporter type, she thought that she could overstep the bounds of decency, just like he does. But, apparently she forgot that ABC is one of those MSM organizations, that has little tolerance for offensive and racist statements, as she made. Good riddance, although I certainly would never have watched her show. Let's hope that Trump makes an even greater fool of himself, by praising her and damning ABC for giving her the boot.
Some of this is sort of personal for me. You mention the low-life segment of the population. I think about some of the persons that bullied me back in middle school and high school. I also think about the racism I dealt with during those years. Alot of those kids were the low-lifer types. I was also small, bookish (albeit I played sports too) and nerdy, so that didn't help matters either.

Now, I am make a distinction between being a low-lifer and being working class. There is a big difference between the two. I've met working class people who aren't low-lifers, who are good people. I've met low-lifers who came from middle-upper class homes (in college oddly enough).

But I do think about Roseanne and who she appeals to. She is appealing to those who are crass and nasty for the fun of it. She is appealing to people who would have bullied me back in high school and middle school. This administration, the cultural precedent we're seeing, some of this hearkens back to my adolescence and the kind of kids I dealt with.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:11 PM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Her agent, ICM Partners, dropped her as a client.

Regardless of whether her fans are willing to overlook her lapse in good sense and give her a second chance, ICM Partners know she isn't going to earning any money in the foreseeable future.

Good news is that now she can tweet all the hateful nonsense she wants and doesn't have to worry about losing her fan base.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:12 PM

22,889 posts, read 16,262,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
What she said was horrible. But pardon her? Since when did making racist comments in a tweet become a criminal offense?

I know the far left would love to have certain thoughts made criminal but come on.

As it should be the court of public opinion as well as capitalism took care of the issue.
What criminal offense?
She’s been fired. Was she arrested as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or