U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 04:54 PM

15,031 posts, read 31,409,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
What? I am a fan of that show.

Thanks a lot, Roseanne!!
Yeah, I canít even think of anything else on ABC I watch, except maybe The Goldbergs.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:59 PM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Stupid woman, good riddance .

Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 PM

1,993 posts, read 1,142,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I find it disgusting that any would use the term "ape" or monkey to describe some Black people. For the record, I've been called a monkey by some White persons. I've been called "chango" by a Hispanic person, which means monkey in Spanish. I've been called "Curious George". This stuff isn't limited to just Whites doing it. I don't take crap from anyone.

While there are some big issues out there, this is where I stand. It is my problem because I have dealt with racists throughout my life. It is my problem because I've dealt with racist bullies in the workplace, while the manager did nothing about it. I dealt with racist bullies in high school. I figured we were suppose to be in a post-racial America. I guess we never were.

And you mention income inequality and climate. Why can't I be concerned about those issues as well as the racism in this country? Why not be concerned about all of those issues? How is racism not a problem?
Chango does not mean monkey is Spanish.

Roseanne has ran its course. The show should have been off and never made a comeback.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:03 PM

10,930 posts, read 5,044,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's kind of crazy that any tinge of racism will destroy someone's life & career. However, I don't pity the woman because she is 61 years old and should know better. Her next step should be getting into politics, because her unhinged Twitter rants would make her very electable to Republican voters.
It really shouldn't be that crazy. Thankfully, it's becoming NOT crazy, and normal.

Want to be a bigot and "tell it like it is"? Sure - go right ahead. But be prepared for the social consequences.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:04 PM

4,824 posts, read 2,574,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Just read what she said. Very dumb remark and not sure why she used the name of Valarie.

Having said that, I agree that people have the right to be upset, just as upset as I am with the left with their nasty remarks about Trump and his family.

Since hardly anything has been done against the left, I don’t feel Toseanne should be punished.

Either both sides or Call her a comedian like the stupid, nasty women and men who all have such a low remarks about the President and his family and just mentioning that they are comedians.

I wish Roseanne wouldn’t have said it as I don’t like anyone using remarks like that.
It's unfortunate folks can't discern the difference between making a political criticism and a one based on race/religion/place of origin.

The minute folks start dropping disparaging euphemisms about Trump's German heritage I'm right there with you and your indignation, however that might be one of the few things, if ever, mentioned in people's comments about Trump.

1,993 posts, read 1,142,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Americans love racial issues, that's why.
We donít love racial issues.

The racial issues were here since the founding of this country.

Please carry on with that nonsense argument.

Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 13 days ago)

9,563 posts, read 3,670,991 times
I can't believe celebrities or the President even use Twitter. It's stupid and just inevitably gets them into hot water. I am glad I don't tweet. I have opinions like anyone else and I'm can usually keep them to myself.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:05 PM

30,129 posts, read 47,361,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I'm more fascinated about the traction this issue has gotten. 85 pages and counting..in just a few hours. Why?

Why defend her? Why attack her? This seems to have tapped a pretty deep vein of..what? Rage...resentment....frustration?

I'm reminded that threads that have any racial overtones..get a lot of play...why? Not a day goes by that there is not some thread..Why Do Blacks, Hispanics, brown people...etc. etc., etc,_________________? When someone dares point out that there might be a racist element to these posts..the denials run thick and fast. I don't believe said denials..I doubt most do--but there will always be a poster..right wing--who will gleefully point out that it must be me who is racist..since I commented. Interesting logic..you let such things stand..you are complicit by your silence..you speak up..and it must be you who has the problem.
Trump logic
Just like using the word "spy" which has such negative and unpatriotic connotation--even though Nathan Hale became a recognized hero when he was caught by the British "spying" for American interests and hung for his supposed crimes...
If the FBI/CIA "helper" was doing what he did to investigate Russian ties within the Trump campaign--
More power to him
And shame to Trump for outing an American agent--just like Valerie Plame was outed by Libby in the lead up to the fake yellow-cake allegations--

Racists will never admit their racism--because racism is recognized a a negative character flaw...
They cloak it in various other labels thought to be perceived as non-pejorative and unbiased...

Trump is a racist--
His absolute inability to recognize that the Central Park 5 were railroaded into their guilty pleas and were exhonorated by DNA evidence years after their conviction (and Trump's ads supporting their conviction) is proof that he cannot admit to a mistake and that he is a racist to his core...

His more current diatribes against illegal immigrants exemplify just a more narrow focus of that same racism...
Whether he has "friends" or followers from minority groups really has no bearing on his own perception...
And yes, I know that he dated an African American woman at one point in time
Slave holders had sex with their slaves and yet the majority of them held that slaves were "inhuman" and not deserving of equality...

I throught it was intersting that many of the comments angry that Barr was censured by losing her second season equated the free speech protest of peacefully "taking a knee" by NFL players vs standing for the Anthem with Barr's right to free speech...

Apparently the majority of them fail to understand the difference between making a libelous/defamatory statement (which Barr's qualifies as IMO) and the right to free speech to protest inherent racism within our country, especially as manifested within our law enforcement arm...

Barr could come out an Tweet "I am a racist...I hate Blacks" and people would just cringe...
But to direct her racism at a specific person--fairly well-known as someone Trump also dislikes--in such a derrogatory manner is going a step too far...
Of course she won't be sued---too bad, really--but she should understand that public displays of racism have consequences...
Just as Colin Kappernick is still paying the price for HIS display of public protest...

Last edited by loves2read; 05-29-2018 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM

48,222 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
So ironic that she started the new season to prove that Trump supporters aren't racists and bigots.

Then gets the show canned for racist/bigoted statements.
I'm not going to go on broad-sweeping indictments and call every Trump voter a racist. It would not be right at all, nor would it be factual. However, I agree that all of this is very ironic. I will add more.

If the whole idea is to show that not all Trump voters are racist, bigoted/close-minded, then Roseanne just blew it. There is already alot of tension, political, racial,etc. This is not helping at all. I'm not a Trump supporter at all (I voted for Gary Johnson). However, comments like this are only going to add to the idea that Trump voters are bigoted. What Roseanne did was add fuel to a fire.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:08 PM

1,695 posts, read 415,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
We donít love racial issues.

The racial issues were here since the founding of this country.

Please carry on with that nonsense argument.
And much larger then we thought, when I explored these old threads on C-D forums.
Hatred Between WASPs and "Ethnic" Whites
Hatred between AA blacks and island blacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or