Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 07:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Overall, I didn't find the two shows that hilarious. Few funny lines and set pieces, but overall it seemed an inside joke that checked all the RW and LW boxes.

One of my favorite episodes of the earlier series was “Wait Till Your Father Gets Home” that found humor and insight in the funeral of Roseanne and Jackie's father.

Didn't see either that humor or insight in these two episodes.

But it's early. Give the writers and actors time to hit their stride.
Yeah They created this buzz about the politics to draw in the numbers. They were successful. I am hoping they can return to the really insightful commentary on life in the USA now.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:02 AM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoDitto21 View Post
How do conservative feel about the gender fluid child?

I think even with the flaws it played well into the dynamics of many white American households in terms of differing political beliefs

The old Roseanne would never be a trump supporter however, so they completely changed the original character
So people are supposed to remain stagnant in their thinking and not have their values/ideals evolve over time??? I guarantee to you, what I valued as important in my twenties is NOT the same now that I’m in my middle aged years.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:24 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I see that the Commander in Chief of the United States of America personally called Mr. Barr to congratulate her on her HUGE ratings!

Trump personally called Roseanne to congratulate her on ratings | Fox News

I recall when she was not popular with some people:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...e-bonkers.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-beheaded.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...iscussion.html

I seem to recall that Mr. Trump once called her a pig, like at that debate with Clinton.

Well, pigs can change stys, seemingly.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:24 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah They created this buzz about the politics to draw in the numbers. They were successful. I am hoping they can return to the really insightful commentary on life in the USA now.
They already started with the grandson. I loved Roseanne’s conversation with him where she asked him how important was his style to him, and is it worth going through the harassment he’ll probably get for it. When he said he was willing to go through that because it was important, then she got behind him. I loved it.

And when he came down the second day and said he liked his clothes and the kids would eventually get used to it, Dan hugged him and indicated how brave he thought he was. He doesn’t understand, but he’ll stand behind him too.

This is good stuff.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
I found the political jokes predictable, stereotypical and not that creative or 'hilarious'.
I think that was the point, though: to poke fun at how, two years later, we're (general "we're") still slinging around the same arguments and stereotypes, and it's getting us nowhere.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:36 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
I found the political jokes predictable, stereotypical and not that creative or 'hilarious'.
It was a pretty accurate portrayal of how people really are out there especially in flyover country with different points of view. I think it took guts to even go there. You have to go back to All in the Family to get this sort of political dialogue in a sitcom.

The left only likes political humor when its a non stop anti-trump barrage like you get with SNL or the late night hosts.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:39 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
I hope so too.

We are struggling to find our way here and insightful humor could help us do that. Roseanne and Becky's sarcastic take on life play well off of each other.

Whether you liked Roseanne or not, the show always went for honesty.

I'm waiting to see how they deal with bogus conspiracy theories and the constant cries of "fake news."

Old 03-29-2018, 07:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
How do conservative feel about the gender fluid child?

I think even with the flaws it played well into the dynamics of many white American households in terms of differing political beliefs

The old Roseanne would never be a trump supporter however, so they completely changed the original character
My God, you act like we don't have gays in our families and accept and love them no matter what, as if we'd throw them off a building like radical muslims. You need to stop watching all that HATE TV on MSNBC and CNN who are feeding you all that garbage.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 AM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Roseanne wasn’t twenty when it last aired, old people usually never change their ideals. Roseanne was a feminist, pro gay rights, inclusion etc. she wouldn’t like trump for the person he is in terms of her old character and wouldn’t make fun of the Woman’s rights movement/Me too. She probably would have related more to Bernie as a candidate
“old people”.....seriously????

Old 03-29-2018, 07:53 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Roseanne wasn’t twenty when it last aired, old people usually never change their ideals. Roseanne was a feminist, pro gay rights, inclusion etc. she wouldn’t like trump for the person he is in terms of her old character and wouldn’t make fun of the Woman’s rights movement/Me too. She probably would have related more to Bernie as a candidate

But the real Roseanne is a staunch trump/alt right weirdo. Her Twitter is plagued with conspiracy theories and attacking the parkland kids.
So the real Roseanne changes as she gets older but the character has to be exactly the same because that how you view people in the real world?

The real Roseanne has been friends with Trump for 30 years. Her move to Trump has more to do with being a radical and not just voting for the liberal status quo because everyone else in hollywood is also. I respect that. I would have preferred she voted for Johnson and made that part of the new show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies